Finished DEATH IN BLOOD mixes

Yay me first!! I'll write this as I listen to all three...

Song 1 "Waste of a Soul":

I love the guitar tone you captured, although I would have gave it a little more presence for clarity, it works. The sound has a very raw, powerful sound. I like it. The bass seems to just lay right in there perfectly like it should, no complaints, heheh. As far as the drums....the kick seems to have a little too much click to it, it could be how you guys wanted it, which is fine. The toms could have some more body (low end) to them IMO. Hmm, the vocals a perfect for the style, very Hatebreed/Haunted..for some reason they seem to not mix with the rest of the music well though. My guess is that some frequencies from the vocal track are "pushing" their way into the mix, sort-of covering other instruments. Good song, I liked it.

Song 2 "Attempted Murder":

Awesome intro, very Haunted style. I love it. The kick's click isn't as noticeable on this song, good stuff. Overall great song. Liked this one too.

Song 3 "Pray for Death":

Ok...the kick's click isn't as noticable here as on the first song, but more-so than the second song, lol. Another great song, I love the intro on it. Can't say much that I haven't already, so overall..

Good job. I like it. Yep.

~006

Thanks alot 006 for listening and offering advice, very much appreciated!

I thought the guitars needed a bit more presence as well but I had to notch out 13K and around 5.1k, then filter all frequencies above 13k to get rid of the fizz coming from the POD. To get them to sound a little brighter then brought some of the fizz back sadly. I used a Jackson Professional Soloist with active Reflex pickups. The tone setting on the POD was a slightly modded version of a patch that somebody posted on here a while back using the "Spinal Puppet" amp.

I'm sure I could improve the tone next time as I created the tone in the POD just a few days after getting it so I'd be in a better position to get a better sound next time. Just bought the metal pack add on for it as well.

The bass was straight into the POD as well on a "Jazz Chorus" believe it or not setting with the RAT emulation on and quite a bit compression.

I had a very hard time trying to get the vocals to sit anywhere near right, this was about the best I could do. Didn't use a mic pre amp or anything, just a SM58 into the POD running a tube pre amp emulation with Antares Mic Modeler, EQ then compression with some Waves room reverb.

As for the bass drum It's 100% Far Beyond Driven - Pantera, triggered using Drumagog from the original mic'ed drum with a little boost around 80 Hz. I reduced the click and volume on the fast double bass parts. Same settings for every song.

Glad you like the material.

I'm quite pleased with the results even though improvements could be made considering it was all done in my bedroom and mixed though Hi-Fi speakers with hardly any budget spent whatsoever, £75 renting mics for drums I think and that was it.

006 said:
Yay me first!! I'll write this as I listen to all three...

Song 1 "Waste of a Soul":

I love the guitar tone you captured, although I would have gave it a little more presence for clarity, it works. The sound has a very raw, powerful sound. I like it. The bass seems to just lay right in there perfectly like it should, no complaints, heheh. As far as the drums....the kick seems to have a little too much click to it, it could be how you guys wanted it, which is fine. The toms could have some more body (low end) to them IMO. Hmm, the vocals a perfect for the style, very Hatebreed/Haunted..for some reason they seem to not mix with the rest of the music well though. My guess is that some frequencies from the vocal track are "pushing" their way into the mix, sort-of covering other instruments. Good song, I liked it.

Song 2 "Attempted Murder":

Awesome intro, very Haunted style. I love it. The kick's click isn't as noticeable on this song, good stuff. Overall great song. Liked this one too.

Song 3 "Pray for Death":

Ok...the kick's click isn't as noticable here as on the first song, but more-so than the second song, lol. Another great song, I love the intro on it. Can't say much that I haven't already, so overall..

Good job. I like it. Yep.

~006

Thanks for the input Nitro!

I thought the toms were perhaps a little quiet but not that bad lol. I guess thats what happens when you mix with Hi-Fi speakers.

About the guitars, what could I do to make them less distant. Do they need to be louder in the mix? There is no FX reverb or anything else that could be making them sound more distant.

Nitronium Blood said:
I just listened to 'Waste Of A Soul'. The song rules. The toms sound non-existant. Actually even the guitars seem a bit distant.