Finished mix, comments welcome!

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys,

Here's a complete track by a local group, In4Life. Comprised of 3 brothers & one extra dude, I've often referred to them as "Evil Hanson." This is probably the first complete track I've ever put up on here, so those that asked for one can finally be vindicated.

This is a metal track with a touch of pop thrown in for radio playability. All comments & questions are welcome.

Here's the link:
http://www.spectresound.ca/media/Dont_Bother.mp3

Unfortunatley, it's thier heaviest track.... the rest of the stuff ranges from pop-punk to hard rock.... and there's even a power ballad! (Yikes!)

Actually, the power ballad turned out really cool, & I'll have some examples of it up in the drum article regarding mixing.

-0z-

BTW, thanks for all the compliments! Anyone have any gear/technique questions?

OzNimbus said:
Anyone have any gear/technique questions?

Yeah actually - after the huge drum thread, how did you end up placing your overheads? Did you stick to the X/Y placement, or did you go for spaced pairs?

They sound great, really precise and clean. I take it the whole drum sound is real?

I have to say, for a hard-rock band the whole sound is really clear and dry, it's quite I unusual (at least I think so) but it actually works really well. Good stuff!

Steve

Dude thats a fucking awesome production. Sounds really pro. Cool musicians as well. How did you get the guitar sound? Git, Amp, Mics, Comp/Eq please....And is the kit all natural or did you use samples?

cobrahead1030 said:
sounds really good man!

maybe i should hire you for my band's next adventure...

I'd be thrilled to do it.... earliest I'm available is Labour day weekend. Be smart & take advantage of that U.S. / Canada exchange rate.... I hope you like to travel!:heh: :heh:

Ok, the technical stuff:

We did inital tracking on this stuff way back in October. What can I say? The band is broke & it took them a while to pay me off before I could release it.

Guitars:

We used my 'el cheapo' Jackson performer Rhoads V, loaded with an EMG 81 pickup with booster for rhythms. Leads were done on my 29 fret Washburn.

Amps: 5150 green channel, crunch in, bright OUT. Running into this was a tubescreamer. D:0 T:5 L:10
My Marshall V30 cab was miked up with an i5, right on the grill cloth, with the center of the mic directly over where the dustcap meets the cone.
Amp settings were:
Gain: 10
Lo: 5
Mid: 2-3
Hi: 6-7
Res: 5-5.5
Pres: 6-7
Guitars were quad tracked, and turned out a little on the muddy side.... post EQ included a gentle wideband boost around 4k, with cuts at 790, 490 & 300 hz of varying widths. Then all were multiband compressed from about 90hz to 380 hz to keep the low mids from jumping around too much.
Leads were done with a tubescreamer & the 5150 on the RED channel... lots of mids thrown in, gain around the 5 mark.

An interesting point: This is the last piece I've done with the single mic technique. Shortly after tracking the guitars for this, I started that "clayman" thread & moved on to the dual 57 on/off axis technique... which is giving me better results, IMO.
Preamp was the Great River Mp2NV.

Vocals: The humble Studio Projects C1 was the main vocal mic. Now, you'll hear alot of bullshit about this mic on gearslutz.com, but the truth is, it's a great sounding mic, regardless of the price. It doesn't work with every singer, but it's usually my first choice. This went into a Great River MP2NV, then an Emprical Labs Distressor.... at a 6:1 ratio, HP & sibilant detectors in, HP & Dist 2 modes engaged in the audio stream, attack 4, release 5. I like to stomp the crap out of vocalists as I can't stand it when they're too dynamic. Fortunatley, the Distressor can be very, very clean & not leave too many artifacts.

Drums:
This was my third-to-last track done with an XY overhead setup. I switched over to spaced pairs a little while back.... it took a little while to get it thru my stubborn head to try something new. Actually, the last 4 songs I did with these guys (what started as a 3 song demo mutated into a 10 song album!) was my first foray into the world of spaced pairs. This will be discussed in far greater detail on the drum guide thread.

Preamps: Overheads & rack tom 1: Ward Beck M480c. Kick & Snare, Great River MP2NV. Rack tom 2 & floor: Vintech Dual 72.

Anyway, yeah, it's an XY overhead setup with Oktava Mc012's. 57 on the snare, e604's on the toms. Kick: It's a home-grown sample of the drummer playing the kick. I felt that his double-bass work was just a touch too dynamic (I.E. his rolls were too soft) to maintain defenition in the full mix. So we went with a drumagoged (at about 50% dynamic range in the advanced settings) sample of the dude hitting the kick drum... I think it was 12 layers. We did it with the front head ON, and used an Audix D6. The weird thing is, this is one of the only songs on the record where the kick is a sample.
Now, this mix sat around for quite a while & sounded nice, but then someone a week or two ago got to asking Andy about where he rolls off the overheads.... I pulled this mix back up & tweaked it out a little further. Oh's were rolled off at 600 hz, and man, did it ever clean things up! Suddenly, the toms were huge without being overbearing... and the snare reverb took on a new life. Everything was much more defined. I also sidechained the Overheads with the snare mic: 0 attack, 20ms release. It takes the inital crack of the snare out of the overheads, but leaves the sustain.... the other cool thing is, during tom rolls, it's out completely, so I'm still picking up massive tom attack. Very cool. I'm really beginning to dig the whole idea of sidechaining. One other point: when agressivley rolling off the overheads, I notice that phase between the OH & close mics becomes a whole lot less important. If they're out of phase, the canellations are FAR less apparent. Definitely a cool way to work.

Anyway, I just got a Canon Digital SLR, so here's my chance to show off what nice pictures it takes. Here's a recent shot of the kit we used: Yes, it's a pic of a spaced pair... you'll see what that does in the next part of my drum guide.

Cheers!
-0z-
drumkit.jpg

About Ward Beck:
For those of you who haven't heard of Ward Beck, here's the short story: These consoles were designed back in the 70's to compete with Neve. When they didn't take off in the studio world, they found a market in broadcasting. They've often been referred to as the "Canadian Neve" but I think they have a sound all their own. If you've ever watched "Hockey Night in Canada" you've heard the Ward Beck vocal sound, as these boards wound up in just about every CBC radio & TV station across the country. What's really cool is you can pick these up for dirt cheap these days, as they don't have that name recognition that old Neve boards have.
I've got an old 12 channel Class A radio console that was originally owned by the CBC, and then the Canadian Military. I think half the reason it sounds so good is due to the power supply. Pulling the back off this thing reveals 2 of the biggest transformers I've ever seen! I mean, they're fucking huge! So yeah, this thing has a very, very stable power supply.
I found it on Fleabay, and after a couple nights with a soldering iron, converted it to studio use. The preamps just happen to have balanced -10 outs going to the 2 buss... so I was able to split the signal right there and hand-wire an output patchbay. What's odd is that they push a really, really hot signal, so have absolutley no problem going into a +4 input, which happens to be the setup on my Fireface 800. If anyone is interested in Ward Beck stuff, I can put you in contact with a few people... a guy named Dave Thomas in particular. He's out on Canada's west coast & is pretty much the Yoda of Ward Beck stuff.

Here's the original ad for my console:

wbad.jpg

I just love how they describe it as "transportable." The bastard weighs 110 pounds!

OzNimbus said:
I'd be thrilled to do it.... earliest I'm available is Labour day weekend. Be smart & take advantage of that U.S. / Canada exchange rate.... I hope you like to travel!:heh: :heh:

it will be a long time before we're ready to do any serious recording again, we just parted ways with our vocalist, and decided to start fresh with all our material (i.e. we only have 3 working songs and no singer atm)

i don't know that traveling would be possible...but seriously, if we were to work with you during the recording process (send you sound samples of the tracks for your input) along the way, would you possibly be interested in doing some mixing and mastering work?

if you think you might be up to it, e mail me channelx1@aol.com

if you're not into the idea, for whatever reason...it's cool tho

that is a LOT of gain :yow:
i'm running an SD1 in front of my 5150's crunch channel set just like your tube screamer, and live and loud my gain goes no higher than 1:00, most of the time just slightly past noon.
you actually recorded 4 tracks with this much gain? well, more power to you :D

Dude thanks for posting all the details. I like the guitar sound way more than what you posted with the Fredman technique....sounds awesome....especially the drums and vocals are great. If it was my mix I would make the bass a touch louder....