Finished mix, comments welcome!

Fragle said:
that is a LOT of gain :yow:
i'm running an SD1 in front of my 5150's crunch channel set just like your tube screamer, and live and loud my gain goes no higher than 1:00, most of the time just slightly past noon.
you actually recorded 4 tracks with this much gain? well, more power to you :D

As I said, it got quite muddy, and took a lot of work to get rid of that mud. That's one thing I noticed after the the guitars were tracked: The bottom end of a 5150 really starts jumping around when you crank up the preamp gain, regardless of what channel you're on. If I ever use that technique again, you can be damn sure I'll back the gain off by quite a bit!

-0z-

GuitarMaestro said:
Dude thanks for posting all the details. I like the guitar sound way more than what you posted with the Fredman technique....sounds awesome....especially the drums and vocals are great. If it was my mix I would make the bass a touch louder....

Well thanks man! I don't mind sharing, I would have had no idea how to get that guitar sound if it wasn't for this board. Hell, I probably wouldn't have even heard of the i5!
Personally, I kinda like the Fredman technique way more, but that's just me. Then again, the difference between the two could have alot to do with the riff (this song is heavier) and the player (the other one was me on the guitar) There's alot of variables involved. Rest assured, next project I'm recording dry tracks and I'll be trying both techniques out for A/B comparisons.

One cool thing I noticed about this guitar sound: It does broadcast incredibly well over FM. We've got an local indie show & this track was featured. I was shocked by how good the guitars sounded on air. I've yet to hear any of my Fredman technique stuff broadcasted yet, but it should be soon. .... Just a little food for thought.

-0z-

You are better then I am.....:)....great work..

I am digging the kick a lot...

"The bottom end of a 5150 really starts jumping around when you crank up the preamp gain,"
+1
for me it's always a challenge to find the sweet spot that gives me the "high gain bottom end" you just described while retaining definition and the percussive attack of low gain levels. my marshall is way easier to dial in in this respect, because it just cannot get anywhere near the bottom end of a e.g. 5150 :lol:

Ok, just for a quick comparison, here's the same band recorded with the Fredman technique & spaced pair overheads...
Sounds good and maybe a little fuller but I noticed a nasty resonance I guess somewhere between 1 and 2 KHZ you should get rid off....I guess I would not hear it had I not mixed guitars all day long. Its barely audible, but maybe you hear it now....if not....nobody beside me will care anyway....lol

P.s.: I am only referring to the guitar sound....

GuitarMaestro said:
Sounds good and maybe a little fuller but I noticed a nasty resonance I guess somewhere between 1 and 2 KHZ you should get rid off....I guess I would not hear it had I not mixed guitars all day long. Its barely audible, but maybe you hear it now....if not....nobody beside me will care anyway....lol

P.s.: I am only referring to the guitar sound....

Thanks for the tip. Took about 3 seconds to find what you're talking about... just a little 1.5db cut at 1.4 khz cleaned it right up... thanks! There's nothing like a second set of ears when you've been listening to the same stuff all day.

Thanks again..

-0z-

kaomao said:
Oznimbus great work!!!
I think it's better the classic technique instead of the Fredman one, your recording it's really clear!!!
I have to work on my stuff to get it clear and louder!!! Fuck I can't get a decent louder sound!!! :(
Maurizio

Fair enough. I kinda like the Fredman technique as it smooths out the top end in the 6-10k region, but both tones are definitely useable. The nice thing is, I can now hit clients with: "do you like this (single) or this.. (double)" and go from there.

Options are always good.

-0z-

Thanks for the tip. Took about 3 seconds to find what you're talking about... just a little 1.5db cut at 1.4 khz cleaned it right up... thanks! There's nothing like a second set of ears when you've been listening to the same stuff all day.
Thanks again..

Cool....exactly what I expected....glad that I could help!:headbang:

Daunt said:
Great mix! Guitar leads and solos are a bit too loud for my taste, but otherwise I have nothing to complain about. I think the reverb you used on drums sounds really good. Any details to share?

I think the same thing about the solos, but the guitar player is a real crybaby about that sort of thing. Oh well, he's payin' for it.

Drum reverb: It's a custom patch with a 1.8 second decay.

-0z-