Firepod/FP10 users - a favour..

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
I'm getting some really odd bleed/crosstalk between the Output1 channel and all of the mic inputs in my FP10.

As in, if something (a metronome or backing track, whatever) is playing through Output1 (the headphone channel), then it bleeds through into the mic recording. Even if there is NOTHING actually externally, physically, playing the audio. Nothing even plugged in. And the bleed, unfortunately, seems to be constant - its easily audible on a snare drum track.

Here's a clip:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/324723/bleed.mp3

Now, what I'm trying to figure out is if its an issue with all FP10s or just mine (unfortunately I bought mine used so no warranty :/).

If anyone who owns one could follow these steps (will only take 5 mins, would really appreciate this):
1. set up a metronome and/or an audio track that will play while you record. Route this out of Output1.
2. Plug in a mic, set the gain to whatever. I don't need to hear any audio, just the noise.
3. Unplug EVERYTHING but the mic cable, the power cable and the FW connection. No monitors, no headphones, no nothing. And turn the headphone and master volume knob to 0.
4. Press record, and post a .wav here.
5. If you want, reroute the metronome/audio track through Output3, and record again, and post that .wav here. If I do this, I don't get bleed (but then only get one side of a headphone).

I've sent an email to Presonus but don't expect a very positive response. Really would appreciate this from anyone who owns one of these.

Very interesting - I've never experienced this myself, but if no one gets to it sooner I'll do this once I get home (5 hrs from now).

Well I actually had the same symptoms last time I used my Firepod. Metronome signal recorded on armed tracks while recording some instruments. I was almost sure that it was a bleed from the headphones I used at the time, but since you're saying it does so with nothing even plugged in I'm starting to wonder... I'll run some tests through the weekend and let you know.

This week I noticed there was metronome click on one of my guitar track fading at the end. i didn't understand at all since there was no mic plugged in and I don't think a guitar pick-up could have picked the bleed from my monitors...

Now that you say that, I'm kind of frightened too cause I bought it used to :zombie:

I had this problem and found it was the guitar pickups try recording guitar in a different room from the monitors and if that fixes it , it has to be the pickups

They are having this problem without the monitors or headphones even being plugged in though, the metronome sound isn't actually being heard anywhere, just transmitting through one of the outs on the unit and bleeding through the circuitry...

any of you guys having the famed problem with dropouts and having to restart the firepod to get sound back? I'm having this problem with my firebox sadly, and there's literally no fix for this as presonus won't acknowledge it.

Nicholas - usually a firewire card issue, especially in laptops. Audio interfaces usually do not have 100% compatibility with all firewire hardware across the board. I got a Dell laptop and realized the thing was completely useless for any firewire audio interfaces because of its expresscard slot. ended up downgrading to a setup with onboard firewire.

Nicholas - usually a firewire card issue, especially in laptops. Audio interfaces usually do not have 100% compatibility with all firewire hardware across the board. I got a Dell laptop and realized the thing was completely useless for any firewire audio interfaces because of its expresscard slot. ended up downgrading to a setup with onboard firewire.

have a TI firewire chipset, which is basically the only one that 100% works with the firebox. downgraded to an older driver last night, gonna see if that helps any.

I got a Dell laptop too and use expresscard TI-based FW interface with my Firepod. Try shutting down different devices that share IRQ with the TI chipset. In my case I needed to turn off the ethernet controller, and graphics card. Works stable now.

This week I noticed there was metronome click on one of my guitar track fading at the end. i didn't understand at all since there was no mic plugged in and I don't think a guitar pick-up could have picked the bleed from my monitors...

Now that you say that, I'm kind of frightened too cause I bought it used to :zombie:

guitar pickups can record a click track if you stand close to the monitors at a decent volume. it happened to me in the past.

it depends on the pickup.

any of you guys having the famed problem with dropouts and having to restart the firepod to get sound back? I'm having this problem with my firebox sadly, and there's literally no fix for this as presonus won't acknowledge it.

try this:
format your drive for a clean install.
install the original drivers that came with the firebox.
don't upgrade unless you have problems.

I had some issues when I got my firepod to get a blue light (sync) after updating all kinds of drivers.

did a clean format of XP, installed the original drivers, no problems, lower latency, rock solid for the past years.

hope this solves your problem.

I bought it used off ebay so I didn't get the driver cd - I completely removed the newer firebox drivers that I had installed, then installed v1.2.0. it's been stable since I did that, whereas before it would drop out (but still have the blue light on) within 50-60 seconds of starting to track. it would even do it while using winamp etc, now that works fine as well.

I tried it on Saturday. I think I did it correctly. No bleed.

I played back a recorded guitar track and a click to Output 1 (my Monitor output), plugged a mic in Input 1 and recorded that track varying the Mic gain. I tried it with the monitors plugged in and not plugged in. I tried it with all volumes up/down, and the mix dial in different positions. Then did the same with the audio routed out through Output 3. No Bleed.

I am a bit confused by your comment "I don't get bleed (but then only get one side of a headphone)." though.

Hope that helps.

BTW, mine is the Firepod with the original firmware/drivers, not FP10.