Presonus FP10 Preamp Ouput v.noisy! Reamping Nightmare!

Blessed

Lying & Weak
Feb 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
Hi guys, hope you can help!

I've just been trying to record a guitar track ready for re-amping. Here was my signal chain;

Guitar --> Presonus FP10 Input 1 (Rec clean track) --> Preamp Output 1 --> 5150 --> SM57 --> Presonus FP10 Input 2 (Rec dirty track)

I was trying to record both the clean (Input 1) and Dirty 5150 (Input 2) sounds at the same time, with the intention of using the recording from input 1 for re-amping at a later date.

I'm having problems in that the signal going from my FP10s preamp out to the 5150 is really noisy & horrible! I have checked the cables - All ok. I'm not putting any gain on Channel 1 via the FP10. What am I doing wrong?!

Cheers

James

Where's your reamp box in all of this? o_O You are basically feeding the amp a line-level signal instead of an instrument signal.

Doh! I'm sure I'd read somewhere on this forum that I using the FP10 this way defeats the need for a re-amp box!

I'll think again :erk:

I've got an M-Audio Audio Buddy. I'm sure I've read that there is a way I can use this as a re-amp box?!

audiobuddy.jpg

It's possible you have a grounding issue going on somewhere.

I managed to get some reasonable sounding reamped tracks messing around with just running the unbalanced output of my interface into a boost and then my amp, but I had to do it with a laptop not connected to the mains, otherwise I got horrible noise.

Preamp out? Like if you wanted to use it as a standalone pre? That's pretty cool that it gives you that option, and while I doubt the pres are anything spectacular, at least it doesn't make it totally obsolete when one upgrades - in fact, that'd be a great 8-channel mic preamp if one didn't need ADAT outputs, and Firepods regularly go for around $200 used! Food for thought...

Preamp outputs are just offered on the first 2 preamps. You are right, they are probably not spectacular, but out of interest I am going to feed them into another A/D next week and compare the difference of the cheap A/D in the Firepod to a higher quality A/D. Might be surprised at the result. Might not.

Preamp out? Like if you wanted to use it as a standalone pre? That's pretty cool that it gives you that option, and while I doubt the pres are anything spectacular, at least it doesn't make it totally obsolete when one upgrades - in fact, that'd be a great 8-channel mic preamp if one didn't need ADAT outputs, and Firepods regularly go for around $200 used! Food for thought...

Yeah you can feed outboard gear with those outs, then send it back to the unit.. Kinda like an FX loop. At least that is how my Firestudio/DigimaxFS combo works...

Preamp outputs are just offered on the first 2 preamps. You are right, they are probably not spectacular, but out of interest I am going to feed them into another A/D next week and compare the difference of the cheap A/D in the Firepod to a higher quality A/D. Might be surprised at the result. Might not.

Cool! Placing my bets now on the differences being little to none :cool:

Looking forward to this too bro!