signal chain question

tomrip

Sep 25, 2011
i have a presonus firestudio. it has two instrument inputs. From al lthe videos and reading i have done, i thought i coulg take my guitar input into intrument input, then a ts808 vst to what ever ampsim. i have seen and read a few things that say you have to go guitar - di box- preamp then to line in on your recordign interface. Is this the best way? i am wantign to get into reamping as well, if that makes a difference. what i want to do is split a guitar signal, and have one direct track, and one from micing their crap amps. so i can offer a servoice to reamp. IF i do need a di box and preamp, what are cheap ones that work? http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-Channel i have one of these coming in, will that work for preamp?

Most would say that the best route (when using amp sims) is to have Guitar > Di-Box > Interface. But, I have seen many forum users go straight from Guitar > Instrument input on their interfaces and get great results. Also, different Di boxes sound a little different, the best I've heard is probably the Little Labs RedEye 3D Box. It also depends on the interface. Even the type of pickups you have determine the sound of your DI, there are so many little factors, even the way you pick the guitar strings is important. I personally have a countryman 85, I like it, I always go Guitar > Di box > Interface. Some swear that it makes the world of difference, while some feel that it barely makes any difference. I guess you can almost say its subjective although some would even disagree w that. At the end of the day try to get the best tone from your hands, that to me, is the most important.