FIREWIND opening for SONATA ARCTICA in the U.S.?

Ugh. I'm going to cry. Missing Sonata's show is going to get even worse.

I guess you can't get it all, but I wish there was another date for the Sonata tour somewhere near the Carolinas after or even before ProgPower. It'd be nice to see them more than once, because they're second only to Blind Guardian as the best power metal band I've ever seen live.

I'd go to another show but I'm trying to spin two Nightwish shows as it is. One the Tuesday after PP in Philly and then the following weekend in Mass. They are playing The Chance though so that's not too bad of a trip for me, and one of the cheaper tickets of shows in the area.

A nice bill, but I worry if people thinking about going to PPUSA for Sonata and Firewind don't because they can see these bands together in their hometown. I feel slightly miffed.

Atleast it isn't someone that I'd be disappointed to miss because of PPUSA. (Like Kamelot touring with Epica last year). I guess you can't win.

I guess the important question is whether Glenn feels miffed at all......
We all are aware that these bands are on the rise and they tour for living, but for Glenn their popularity means that getting a name big enough to please the majority of the attendees at PP will become more challenging every year.

Then again, a fine metal festival like PP has way more substance to it than the couple of favourite bands or even all the bands together are able to add. It is the atmosphere and feeling of brother-/sisterhood you'll get from just staying among and communicating with people of similar mind and interest as your's for a few days. :headbang:

I'd go as far as to say that those people who feel entitled to whine about some bands added/missing from the roster are propably attending a festival for the "wrong" reasons in the first place. Appreciating a particular festival for what it is and represents as a whole is an acquired but definitely a long lasting taste. :)

...just my 2 cents...

It is the atmosphere and feeling of brother-/sisterhood you'll get from just staying among and communicating with people of similar mind and interest as your's for a few days. :headbang:

:kickass: Hell yeah, that's why I'm going every year that I can. I love the people as much as the bands.
I may be just a tab bit too defensive over this festival :rolleyes:

I'd go as far as to say that those people who feel entitled to whine about some bands added/missing from the roster are propably attending a festival for the "wrong" reasons in the first place. Appreciating a particular festival for what it is and represents as a whole is an acquired but definitely a long lasting taste. :)

...just my 2 cents...

Like it or not, there are still people out there who cannot afford to shell out over a grand for "atmosphere". Most of us go because it's a yearly detox of everything and a nice little getaway. It's a really fun weekend. Then there are those people who wait and see what the lineup will be to make their decision. To put those people down, or tell them they're coming for the 'wrong' reason and simply write them off as 'less of a fan' is absolutely terrible. You, nor anyone else have any right to say such a thing, because you are not aware of thier current situations. Just because it's a fun thing to do doesn't mean it's always feasable.

A nice bill, but I worry if people thinking about going to PPUSA for Sonata and Firewind don't because they can see these bands together in their hometown. I feel slightly miffed.

Atleast it isn't someone that I'd be disappointed to miss because of PPUSA. (Like Kamelot touring with Epica last year). I guess you can't win.

Not me! Last year at Jaxx, I saw Epica with Kamelot two days after returning home from ProgPower and this year my group is going to the Sonata w/ Firewind show at Jaxx on Wednesday and then leaving directly from there for ProgPower. :headbang: (A friend of mine called this lineup months ago after seeing the Sonata show announced at Jaxx and knowing Sonata and Firewind were both on the bill for PP ... Two very similarly styled power metal bands coming to America? How could they pass up the opportunity to do tour together?)

Unfortunatly, sometimes you have to make tough choices with shows, but thankfully things have worked out pretty well for us in the MD/DC/VA area ... at least IMO.