How do they rate for you!?

:kickass:
BTW. I think Virgin Steele will get a lot more love than these threads indicate. Purely, because I think there is a strong crowd outside of the forums that goes to PP that will be fans of VS's style.

And not liking his voice.... to me.... is like not liking Dio/Tate/Halford/Dickinson/early-Ozzy/etc... to many others. I can't understand it. He has the most dynamics of any singer I've heard, he's basically pitch perfect, he 'yowlz' like a madman, can add dio'ish grit when he wants. That and ... unlike many other metal singers, he can hit incredibly high notes with vibrato.

Its partly his voice, but VS also has some of the most complicated compositions you'll hear in metal. But whatevers. VS is an original metal band, that put out thrash before Overkill, did neo-classical metal before Yngwie, and did the 'Manowar' thing before Manowar.
Being a diehard Manowarrior automatically makes me a VS fan, as well. I like DeFeis' vocals on Avantasia and I've heard Atreus Act I as well. I'd rate his vocals a 9/10.:headbang:

This has been a very enlightening thread to check out.

From what I can tell, about forty percent of you will be fired up to hear us play, another forty percent will be indifferent, 19 percent will be drinking outside, and seems like there are two guys who will hopefully be off giving each other a handjob during our set. ;)

<<From what I can tell, about forty percent of you will be fired up to hear us play, another forty percent will be indifferent, 19 percent will be drinking outside, and seems like there are two guys who will hopefully be off giving each other a handjob during our set.>>

I know who those two vend...I mean guys are. I on the other hand will be monitoring your set very closely. Don't fuck up or embarass me.

Ken Golden

<<From what I can tell, about forty percent of you will be fired up to hear us play, another forty percent will be indifferent, 19 percent will be drinking outside, and seems like there are two guys who will hopefully be off giving each other a handjob during our set.>>

I know who those two vend...I mean guys are. I on the other hand will be monitoring your set very closely. Don't fuck up or embarass me.

Ken Golden
Ken always has his priorities right:lol:

Raintime - 6 (promising act, but I haven't heard much of them)
Communic - 7 (cool if only because Nevermore has missed out playing the festival TWICE)
Virgin Steele - 10 (could not be more stoked to see them live!!!)
Redemption - 10 (will be in front, singing every word!!!)
Pagan's MInd - 8 (really like the 2nd album, just got the 3rd one and still trying it out)
Sonata Arctica - 6 (not really my style, but they play well enough for me to definitely try them out)

Firewind - 3 (totally unfamiliar)
Threshold - 10 (with Damian Wilson, I will be down front!)
Primal Fear - 0 (always hated this band and never could stand Sheepers)
After Forever 8 (cool band, looking forward to hearing Floor live)
All Star Jam - 9 (this should be VERY entertaining!)

This is a VERY good year for me at ProgPower. See all those 10's? ;)

Krucible - 5
Cellador - 2
Freak Kitchen - 10
Vanden Plas - 6

Raintime - 7
Communic - 7
Virgin Steele - 10.2
Redemption - 8 (would be a 10 if they could get Mythiasin to do some guest vocals, or if I thought they would be playing any material from the s/t)
Pagan's MInd - 2
Sonata Arctica - 3

Firewind - 8 (would have been about a 5 with Apollo)
Threshold - 5 (would have been a 2 with Mac)
Primal Fear - 4
After Forever - 0
All Star Jam - 9

Jon Oliva set - 10.1
IA guitar clinic - 9
John Macaluso drum clinic - 5
Karaoke - 3
Chatting w/ friends during karaoke - 10
Tennis - 9
Merch shopping - 2 (I'll be poor during this year's fest)
Kyle buying pizza - 36.1
Pointing and laughing at drunk attendees - 36
Having women sit on my lap between sets - 40 million
Ralf Walter barfing on Saturday night - 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Krucible - ?
Cellador - 3 (seen them 2 times, don't hate 'em, but don't really care either way)
Freak Kitchen - 8
Vanden Plas - 6

Raintime - 10
Communic - 3
Virgin Steele - 1 (Not my thing, but I'll check out a few songs)
Redemption - 10 (If Ray can't remember lyrics, then 8)
Pagan's Mind - 8 (Could be a 9 by Friday)
Sonata Arctica - 10 (Might be 7.5 if they play same set as Chicago)

Firewind - 3 (Solid 6 with Apollo)
Threshold - 2 (Haven't much cared for what I've heard)
Primal Fear - 9
After Forever -8
All Star Jam - 10

Fun thread. I will do it both ways presented.

Raintime - 3
Communic - 7
Virgin Steele - 6
Redemption - 8
Pagan's Mind - 8
Sonata Arctica - 8

Firewind - 8
Threshold - 9
Primal Fear - 9
After Forever 10
All Star Jam - 9

The Other way:

After Forever (1)
Have all their albums. Love Floor's voice. I think they will put on a great show.

Threshold (2)
Favorite band in the festival musically. Actually started listening to them a few months ago. Then I gorged on getting most of their catalog. Great stuff. Damian will be very good. Mac will be missed though.

Primal Fear (3)
Love their last couple of albums. I think Ralf is going to really let loose with his vocals. Will be a pleasure to listen and watch them on stage.

Pagan's Mind (4)
Loved them the last time they played at the Festival. Great energy. They have one of the best guitarists in the land in Jørn Viggo Lofstad.

Sonata Arctica (5)
Pains me to put them this low. Love their first 2 album. Next 2 are good as well. I am just not feeling their latest. I have tried.

All Star Jam (6)
Will be fun to see what songs the performers have picked. I look forward to hearing their interpretations of the songs. Also the plus of hearing the lineup for next year.

Redemption (7)
Really like their 2 Ray Adler vocal albums. Fullness more than Ruins. They both are quality albums.

Firewind (8)
Would have been higher if Apollo was coming. Absolutely love their last album. Just a shame that he won't be here. It does help that Stephen Fredrick will chip in on some of the early stuff. Gus G is going to slay.

Communic (9)
I have both their albums. Good stuff. A lot of their material sounds the same though.

Virgin Steele (10)
Never got around to get any of their Cds. Samples sound promising. Will definitely watch their set.

Raintime (11)
Just not my cup of tea.

Raintime - 6
Communic - 6
Virgin Steele - 6
Redemption - 8
Pagan's Mind - 7
Sonata Arctica - 9

Firewind - 3
Threshold - 9
Primal Fear - 8
After Forever - 7

Cellador - 6
Krucible - haven't heard them :\
Freak Kitchen - 10
Vanden Plas - 9

1 point has been deducted from every band for even daring to think about competing with Freak Kitchen.

Krucible - 6 based on only hearing one song
Cellador - 7
The Kitchen - &#8734;
Vanden Plas - 4

Raintime - 8
Communic - 4
Virgin Steele - 5
Redemption - 9
Pagan's Mind - 6
Sonata Arctica - 10

Firewind - 9
Threshold - 8
Primal Fear - 7 based on CDs...but I'm fully expecting them to blow me away live
After Forever - 10

Redemption (7)

Firewind (8)
Would have been higher if Apollo was coming. Absolutely love their last album. Just a shame that he won't be here.

Somehow I missed that announcement...what happened with Apollo? Bummer he won't be there...

Raintime - ?
Communic - ?
Virgin Steele - 7
Redemption - good but I dont own enough of their albums to make a call yet
Pagan's Mind - ?
Sonata Arctica - 8

Firewind - ?
Threshold - 5 (I only have one cd bt i enjoy it)
Primal Fear - 8
After Forever - 10

? = I dont have any of their albums.

Somehow I missed that announcement...what happened with Apollo? Bummer he won't be there...

From the Firewind website:

2007-08-08
APOLLO TAKES TIME OUT, HENNING BASSE STEPS IN
FIREWIND mainman Gus G. has just issued the following statement:

“Dear all, Here’s the latest news and facts. It seems that 2007 has been quite an adventurous year for our singer Apollo. He’s currently having some problems back home and needs to take the next few months off. As our touring schedule is quite heavy, we will continue with a replacement and give him the time he needs to get back smoothly.

The German vocalist Henning Basse (Metalium) will step in from now on and complete all the 2007 tourdates with us. Henning has helped us already in the past on some shows on our last European tour with Angra. He really kicks ass on stage and is a great singer and performer, as well as a great guy. We’re grateful to have him on board once again and you’ll be surprised by how hard this guy rocks!

All our upcoming shows will go on as scheduled and announced - no Firewind shows will be cancelled! See you on the road soon!

Gus & Firewind”

Okay, so below quoted were my pre-festival expectations ranked 1-11 from most excited about to least. Now I re-rank them to see how my true enjoyment at the show compared to my expectations.

Primal Fear - 1
Communic - 2
Sonata Arctica - 3
Firewind - 4
Threshold - 5
Redemption - 6
Pagan's Mind - 7
After Forever - 8
All Star Jam - 9
Raintime - 10
Virgin Steele - 11

I have a tough time trying to give some universal 1-10 rating comparing them all to every other band I know and love, so here is my order with them ranked only against each other for what sets I'm most excited to see (1) and least excited about (11).

Communic - 1
Primal Fear - 2
Sonata Arctica - 3
Firewind - 4
Threshold - 5
Redemption - 6
Virgin Steele - 7
Pagan's Mind - 8
All Star Jam - 9
After Forever - 10
Raintime - 11