It's all about balance this year....

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I have to admit that I am probably more pleased with the overall balance this year than ever before. I realize you can classify bands anyway you prefer, but this truly has something for everyone in my book:

Sonata Arctica- melodic Euro
After Forever- gothic, female
Primal Fear- German power
Pagan's Mind- prog/power hybrid
Threshold- prog
Redemption- prog
Virgin Steele- traditional metal
Firewind- melodic/power
Communic- heavy hybrid
Raintime- growlies

I agree it's a pretty varied lineup. It seems like the difference between higher and lower billed bands has become noticeably less significant in the last two years, however.

I agree it's a pretty varied lineup. It seems like the difference between higher and lower billed bands has become noticeably less significant in the last two years, however.

Two ways to look at it:

1. I am booking stronger lower slots bands. That means that I am spreading the talent instead of spending on just the big names. I am indeed selling the festival more on name now than star power. I'm sure the cycle will change in the future at some point as that is the nature of the beast.

2. There simply aren't that many top headliners anymore that I haven't had or were not an option this year due to availability or cost. I am also of the opinion that Sonata is on par with those in the past based on their recent surge in popularity. The problem is that the majority of the old guard don't want to hear that or believe it (but numbers don't lie).

I really like this lineup. Very strong IMO. I already own all of the albums of 4 of the groups (Sonata, Firewind, Pagan's Mind, After Forever) and will complete 2 of them soon (Redemption and Communic). So I like that I don't have to spend as much this year catching up on the bands. Great job Glenn.

I've seen SA twice! and I must say they put on one hell of a show!!!!!

And for anyone who is a doubter...I fully believe if you give them a fair chance that live they will change your mind.

Glenn this will be my first year and I didnt know many of the bands till after they were posted and you did an exceptional job! I dont think Sonata will dissapoint...

Two ways to look at it:

1. I am booking stronger lower slots bands. That means that I am spreading the talent instead of spending on just the big names. I am indeed selling the festival more on name now than star power. I'm sure the cycle will change in the future at some point as that is the nature of the beast.

2. There simply aren't that many top headliners anymore that I haven't had or were not an option this year due to availability or cost. I am also of the opinion that Sonata is on par with those in the past based on their recent surge in popularity. The problem is that the majority of the old guard don't want to hear that or believe it (but numbers don't lie).

I definitely think the lower slot bands have gotten stronger, especially this year. With this year's lineup you could pretty much bill them in any order you want (except Sonata, who are obviously the biggest band on the bill) and it wouldn't seem out of place at all. I do feel, however, that the top 4 slots have less in the way of "star power" than in the past. Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just making an observation. :)

I don't think Prog Power lineups have been varied at all if it's supposed to be a mix of Progressive Metal and Power Metal. I'd say power outclasses prog 4/5 and some cases 5/5. This year, for example, there isn't a truly progressive metal band. Pagan's Mind, as much as I love them, aren't much proggier than Kamelot.

But this is mostly Prog Metal's fault. There haven't been very many Prog Metal releases/bands of late.

The Michael

I don't think Prog Power lineups have been varied at all if it's supposed to be a mix of Progressive Metal and Power Metal. I'd say power outclasses prog 4/5 and some cases 5/5. This year, for example, there isn't a truly progressive metal band. Pagan's Mind, as much as I love them, aren't much proggier than Kamelot.

But this is mostly Prog Metal's fault. There haven't been very many Prog Metal releases/bands of late.

The Michael

*cough* Redemption *cough* Threshold...

I have to admit that I am probably more pleased with the overall balance this year than ever before. I realize you can classify bands anyway you prefer, but this truly has something for everyone in my book:

Sonata Arctica- melodic Euro
After Forever- gothic, female
Primal Fear- German power
Pagan's Mind- prog/power hybrid
Threshold- prog
Redemption- prog
Virgin Steele- traditional metal
Firewind- melodic/power
Communic- heavy hybrid
Raintime- growlies
It's pretty versatile .. nice job. I actually own at least one disc from 9 of the 10 bands (Raintime the only exception). I actually had them purchased well before the announcements came as well. I'd say your tastes in selections is pretty much in line with my likes ... keep up the good work.

Britt

*cough* Redemption *cough* Threshold...

Oh Man! you beat me to it.:OMG: Well said. Threshold or Redemption not progressive? Just listen to their last two cds for starters. And they are deceptively heavy . Even though Vanden Plas (very progressive) is Thursday, it's just another day at the festival for me.:p :headbang: :kickass: :headbang: :kickass:

I said somewhere - back before even Pagan's Mind and Primal Fear were announced (two biggies in my book!) - that this was shaping up to be the best PPUSA event EVER! And damned if I wasn't right! :worship:

Thank you Glenn. :D

That's weird; ever hear of the following?

Poverty's No Crime
Tomorrow's Eve
Royal Hunt
Wolverine
Andromeda
Section A
Vanishing Point
Mob Rules (more prog/power), but an obvious PP band imo.

As always, your perception of status differs from mine. I will be blunt and say that your fanboyism gets in the way of your view or you simply choose to ignore the actual draw of a band. Of the bands that you mentioned, only Royal Hunt would have name recognition on multiple forums. I have already stated that trusting Royal Hunt falls in the same league as trusting Midnight to be sober. There are other quality bands on that list, but they would not merit more than a 2nd slot and I had other plans for that based on budget, bigger prog bands in higher slots, etc. I do agree with you on Mob Rules and they will be here sooner or later.

As always, your perception of status differs from mine. I will be blunt and say that your fanboyism gets in the way of your view or you simply choose to ignore the actual draw of a band. Of the bands that you mentioned, only Royal Hunt would have name recognition on multiple forums. I have already stated that trusting Royal Hunt falls in the same league as trusting Midnight to be sober. There are other quality bands on that list, but they would not merit more than a 2nd slot and I had other plans for that based on budget, bigger prog bands in higher slots, etc. I do agree with you on Mob Rules and they will be here sooner or later.

Just curious--since you commented on Mob Rules in particular--as to what your perception of Poverty's No Crime is...

I agree they're probably no more than a 2nd slot, but being a bit of a fanboy of them, what's the realistic chances of ever seeing them at a ProgPower (given they finally put out a new cd)?

('Cause I know that if you say you hate'em, I'll give up the dream now. :lol: )

:Smokin:

Two ways to look at it:

Personally, I am moreso a fan of the 'top heavy' headliner format, but that is just my taste. Honestly I want to commend you Glenn, because I think the idea of spreading out the talent more is a great idea (even if it is not my thing, I think you are giving the fest a change that a lot of people will really take to). I have no issue doing a year or two with this format, and eventually having the big headliner format come back. It actually makes a great deal of sense to do that - that way when you bring the big headliners back its been long enough that the hype and specialness of the occasion has returned. I'm giving a lot of thought to going this year even though there is not a single band on there that I would consider myself a huge fan of. I'd pretty much be on tap to buy a whole bunch of albums and do some serious listening to approach the fest and be able to recognize material. Who knows, may turn out to be a great opportunity to embrace some new music. Fantastic work!