It's all about balance this year....

That's a rather unfair reply.

I understand the Royal C*nt (err, Hunt) problems, and the Crimson Glory problems (though Wade Black isn't doing anything?).

It would be nice if PP US lineups resembled Rene's PP Europe lineups once in a while. Maybe a band like the aforementioned Wolverine, or something like a Dead Soul Tribe rather than just another EuroPower Priest/Maiden clone (such as Primal Fear, Firewind). As I understood it, PP 8 was supposed to swing the pendulum back from the power sides. Sure I see what you mean by balance, but the bell seems locked to one side, as if anyone who likes the other side of the equation (the progressive or avant garde) just gets a doorslam time and time again.

It may not be the selling point to"the core speedmelody audience" but it would bring in a great deal of people who have either dropped back continuously over the years, or push people from outside looking for the edge.
Dude, if you need prog so badly, perhaps Nearfest would suit you better. I know you're entitled to your opinion, but you complain quite a bit, IMO.

I know I don't post too much on here, but this is a subject that really interests me. To start off, I have never been to a ProgPower as of yet. This will hopefully be my first one. I also apologize in advance if I seem to be ass kissing, cause i'm really not. Its just it seems to me that sometimes the prog/power community takes for granted what we have.

I mean I dunno how old a lot of you guys are. I'm 25 and i've been into the new wave of these bands since around 1997 or so(this does have a point to this thread I promise..LOL). Coming from traditional metal roots I wanted to see what else was out there. A friend of mine told me of these bands Blind Guardian and Rhapsody that would take the world by storm one day. I was like yea..a piss in the wind I say(not because of lack of talent..quite the opposite). I got heavily into these bands and more bands of this style..then I got into more progressive edged bands as well. During this time I would say the average age of a power/progressive metal fan was well in their 30's and there werent many fans around. They were old school metal fans looking for something new, but against the ways of the alterna/mallcore ways that plagued the states. These were metal fans apart of a cult like following..the thought of these bands touring just wasn't a possibility. The only bands during this time that toured were your American power metal bands like Nevermore and Iced Earth. Any sign of European power and prog acts touring here wasn't to be found at all. No one wanted to take a chance on these bands at all..mostly in a business sense..fear of losing money by bringing these bands on here. It was a tough situation because during this time our voice was still very minute and small. It was based on word of mouth and the internet..thats about it.

Flash to right now and we see things are very different. We have Blind Guardian on a very successful tour(I say only one because I feel that while it was very awesome to see them in 2002, it just wasn't what it was now..a more intimate setting back then though), Kamelot touring here twice, Sonata twice(now going for three), Gamma Ray, EdGuy twice, and finally a headlining Hammerfall tour. I'm probably missing some here too. To me, this is a big accomplishment. Also note that now power metal has more crossover appeal and a younger age range..with a lot of teens now into this genre. Aside from the retro cool crowd, these kids don't even understand traditional metal really. To me, I find that astonishing.

I also firmly believe that this fest helped build the momentum, hell even created it, for this genre of metal. I look at it as the gateway for these bands to emerge in the US. A lot of times the bands that play the ProgPower fest end up having their own tour(I understand their tours are usually planned before the fest appearances..years ago I don't think that was the case though).

Even though I have never been to a fest before, I always loved seeing what the lineup will be. It builds controversy, excitement, and most importantly anticipation for one's favorite band to be on there. Even if there are bands that you haven't heard of before on the fest, it makes you want to check them out. In the months that pass you realize these bands are great and end up being a new, great band in your collection(doesn't always apply as some people have different taste than others). It gives you a sense of urgency which is something that applies to a business(i'm a salesmen sorry for the analytical vibe there).

I don't always agree with the lineup, but I also don't have to go if I don't want to. I like the lineup this year, and I have the money to be able to go. So I will. If I had the money, and could spend it however I wanted, I would go even if I hated the lineup. A chance to be able to converse with people who are my own, who understand power and progressive metal..the way it used to be back in the mid 90s.

In closing I just want to say, don't take anything for granted. We've come a long way since the 90's. We have bands play here in the states now that were wet dreams back in that day. We're very fortunate to have been able to get this far. We will get further though, I truly believe it. Not that I want power metal to rise above the status of where it is now in terms of mainstream appeal..I just think that more bands will still come in time. You can't let your own fantasies become everyone's reality all at once. In due time, it will happen though.
Bill, you are a true poet.:headbang:

I saw Dream Theater at the NY fairgrounds a few years ago.

However, they were the opening band, which I did not get. They absolutely have the drawing power even here in the metal deficient states, to sell plenty of tickets. The band they were opening for was YES. Now don't get me wrong, YES has some decent music, but even in their heyday I don't think they compared to DT. And unfortunately their heyday was a long time ago. They weren't just bad but embarrasingly so. Immediately after having listened to the intricate musicianship of Dream Theater in particular, YES sounded like an out of tune jug band after a few too many bottles of moonshine.

Their name is big......but I truly hope that I never see them on ProgPower USA - The Premier Metal Festival for North America .

This was tour that DT was dying to get on because Yes is one of their major influences along with Rush. They were basically opening for them to pay tribute to them. Plus, Yes is legendary to say the least even if they're not what they used to be.

This was tour that DT was dying to get on because Yes is one of their major influences along with Rush. They were basically opening for them to pay tribute to them. Plus, Yes is legendary to say the least even if they're not what they used to be.

Thanks for this....took the words right out of my fingers. Couldn't agree more...

Dude, if you need prog so badly, perhaps Nearfest would suit you better. I know you're entitled to your opinion, but you complain quite a bit, IMO.
I only complain because, soundboard issues aside, Glenn's fests have been pretty entertaining. I'm just adding names that could make the fest more spread out, ya know?

Btw, Nearfest is cool, but it sells out QUICK. Plus, I have more friends to see when I go to PP than if I did NF. PP isn't all about seeing bands. It's a family reunion, as has been noted time and again.

<snip>

Btw, Nearfest is cool, but it sells out QUICK. Plus, I have more friends to see when I go to PP than if I did NF. PP isn't all about seeing bands. It's a family reunion, as has been noted time and again.
--------------------------
PP is more than about the bands - it truly is a gathering of (mostly) like minded people and a chance to maybe get turned on to some other stuff I hadnt heard about. Hell, I have only caught the last 2 and I have that "reunion" type feeling. The only siliver lining in (oops, edit to add NOT) being able to attend a bunch before the last 2 is that a lot of the "repeats" taht tend to upset people are just fine with me as I havent seen 'em before. I'll give any of the bands Glenn & Shane put in front of me a chance - even if I dont like the recorded stuff because I tend to prefer "live" sounding music as it tends to have a heavier, raw feel to it. That said, if I go thru the 1st few songs and I'm not really getting into it - I'll replenish my beer supply (evaporation seems to be a big problem down there lol) or visit the vendors "just one more time" :)
There's a lot of diverse tastes just from the posters on this forum, but it seems like most of us can agree on some of the bands on each lineup. For some, the lineup determines if they will make the trip - due to financial, time restraints. I can understand their disappointment if they dont feel there is enough on a particular lineup to justify them coming down. Everyone looks forward to seeing what these guys can pull off year after year - and probably starts each year with taht block of time reserved for PP before they see the bands. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) as a newly single guy - money & time arent foremost on my mind when this fest comes around. I get a chance to visit one of my oldest friends, meet back up with newer ones and see bands that - odds are - havent made it to Colorado.

If you build it - they will come. Not the same ones every time - but i think most of the people on here - even those saying "screw this lineup I'm not coming" are always looking forward to "the next one" - I dont think I've seen anyone write off the fest 'for good" and I kinda doubt anyone who has ever been to one would be foolish enough to do such a thing. Eventually most of the bands taht people are requesting - that are even reasonably feasible - will prolly make their way to ATL at some point. We just must leave it to the Gods of Metal and Promotion to determine when that will be. It's like from that episode of Welcome Back Kotter, "when you least expect it, expect it". :)

see you all in ROCKtober:headbang:
jeff