First Grimoire of Ruin review!!!

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Posted at Doomsday Music!!

Edit: Shoulda put the actual review here... oops.

Around Seattle, there are far to few local bands that are worth a damn. I really think the main reason for this is because most bands are content being “local bands” and make little effort to put forth a product that could be considered a real album, not just a 4 song demo that they can sell at shows for beer money. This is possibly why Shadow Demon stands out as a breath of fresh air. And before any accusations fly, yes I am good friends with the Shadow Demon folks, but all that means is I pay closer attention to every detail, and am far more critical than I would be of any other record. So yes, this is going to get a bit more in depth than I normally would get, but tough titties. On with the review!

The first thing you notice about this album is the guitar tone. They spent a lot of time getting this tone to sound just right, and it works just perfectly. It’s heavy and crunchy, yet retains enough clarity to hear what exactly is being played. Also, the first track is the longest track on the album, an approach that I’ve seen on few other albums. The only album that really comes to mind that the longest track led off the disc is Ghosts of Loss by Swallow the Sun, and that’s a doom record. While personally this is one of my favorite songs on the disc and it doesn’t even feel nearly like a nine minute track, I can see people bitching. It’s what people do best. Drums of War is a bit more straightforward and to the point, and may have been a better choice for album opener because of this fact. Drums of War also shows what will more than likely eventually become the signature Shadow Demon sound with the less conventional, unexpected melody lines and harmonies in the chorus section. This theme re-appears in Brave Murder Day and Umbris Mortis, as well as many of the other tracks to a lesser extent.

There is plenty of diversity on the record. While Shadow Demon is basically a dark metal band (power metal applies in the sense that Nevermore is power metal), they have their moments such as in Brave Murder Day where they bring things down to an almost Mercyful Fate sounding clean section, which is also touched on again in Red. Sea of Oblivion has a black metal sounding intro (blastbeats and all) before going into a very ominous verse. The vocals are distant and have a very almost emotionless sound to them which makes it sound like Blaine is singing from beyond the grave, but then the chorus comes in with a very strong impact.

Older fans of Shadow Demon get a recognizable treat with a re-recorded version of …And the Meek. While it’s not particularly different from the demo, the performance is much more powerful and basically just kicks ass. Blaine’s vocals are much more aggressive than they were on the demo (and this goes for the entire album, not just this song) which is a vast improvement. In fact, this entire album is a big improvement from that demo, including the overall look. This time the Demons decided to have Mattias Noren, who has done cover artwork for bands such as Into Eternity and Evergrey, put together a fucking sweet package for them. Everything about this is incredibly high quality.

I only have a few complaints about this album. My biggest is that the drums don’t stand out as much as they should, and the bass drums especially feel a bit buried. It’s hard to be terribly critical about any part of the sound since everything sounds fantastic, especially since the band did most everything themselves as far as production goes. However, a powerful drum sound like Nevermore’s Dreaming Neon Black would have really helped this album. The only other thing that stands out as something that should be worked on is the solos. Ryan is a fantastic guitarist, but the solos sound like they could have been thought out a bit better. It’s not like they are Kerry King solos, but they don’t completely flow with the song like they should. However, I know he joined the band shortly before the recordings (they may have began recording before Ryan in fact), so he kind of jumped into a hectic situation, so again I am willing to be a bit more lenient. Finally, the one downfall of the album is the song Walking Among the Dead. It’s a good song, but it feels like filler more than any other song. While most of the tracks on this album have a certain feel to them, Walking Among the Dead is probably the song that is most passive for me. It is by no means bad, I just rarely pay much attention, though the solo sounds very Iced Earth inspired.

All in all, this is a fantastic record. Judged not as a “local band’s album” but as a legitimate release, this stands up as one of the best albums released this year. While it does take a bit of time to really sink in, the darkness and superb song craft make this one of the best melodic albums in a long time.

Ok I just finished my review. Will post a link to it once it is posted over at RMM. Just read your review Zach its a little scary how we point out some of the same things. Of course I don't agree with everything you wrote as you probably won't agree with everything I wrote but that's as it should be :D

Review is up

http://www.rockmymonkey.com/cdreviews/06/10/ShadowDemon.php

I've been looking forward to this album for a while. Shadow Demon used to host their forums on this site back when it was called AbrasiveRock.com and thats where I first got turned on to them. I bought their demo and was hooked. These guys have serious talent and I really hope they succeed. So I am gonna be as critical as I can when reviewing this disc.

I would be remiss if I didn't first talk about this album's artwork. The Demon's hired the services of Mr. Mattias Norén, a legend as far as metal cover art is concerned. Norén has worked with many bands such as Eternity, Ayreon, and Everygrey to name a few. See his website www.progart.com for examples of his amazing work. The artwork for Grimoire of Ruin is simply stunning. The cover presents a shadowy demonic figure standing amidst rubble and ruins and holding a tattered tome, presumably the grimoire of ruin. The artwork goes great with their sound and the theme is carried throughout the booklet with each page fully illustrated showcasing some great work from Norén.

Lets move on with bands sound as represented on this disc. Shadow Demon lives in a realm occupied by bands such as Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, and Nevermore. Many comparisons have been made between this band and Iced Earth and Blind Guardian and there is some reason for that. Rhythm guitarist Jeff Helm boasts a extremely strong downstroke that could easily compete with Jon Shaffer of Iced Earth. Lead singer Blaine Hammond's voice does also bear some resemblances to Hansi Kursch of Blind Guardian. They are far from copycats however and with Grimoire of Ruin the band delivers the goods with an intensity and attitude that was noticeably absent on the last few releases from the Earth/Guardian camp.

The band spent a great deal of time getting everything right. The guitar tone especially stands out to me. The beginning of The Dark Citadel: Part 1 (The Shifter) sounds like it could rip through steel. Blaine's layered vocals sound great over the guitars. I think the bass guitar, courtesy of James Rinker is mixed a little low, but then again this genre of music definitely has a guitar driven sound. The two newest members of the band, Jay Davidson (drums) and Ryan Gallagher (lead guitars), get to show off here as well. Jay plays quite well, and even gets to bring in some of his black metal influences with the beginning of the song "Sea of Oblivion". At times the drums get a little buried in the mix, especially the bass drum. I also think a stronger snare sound would help a lot. The talent is still there however. On lead guitar, Ryan's solos are somewhat hit and miss for me. He does well on tracks such as ...And the Meek, The Dark Citadel, and Red. However some of the others such as Waking Among the Dead, while not bad, I feel could use more work.

Now lets move on to the songs. I must admit, the opening track A Dream of Dreams had me a bit worried. The song clocks in at 8:45 and is more than 2 1/2 minutes longer than any other song on the album. Now I have nothing against long songs, but they do have to be executed extremely well in order to hold the listener's attention throughout the whole song. Furthermore an album opener should be one that captivates the listener and convinces them to keep listening. First impressions are very important. Personally, A Dream of Dreams is one of my least favorite on the album. I don't feel it lives up to the requirements of being a captivating long song or an album opener. I don't feel it lives up to what I have heard this band do in the past either. Things get a lot better after this song though.

Next up the song Drums of War kicks off with some grinding guitars and rolling drums. The vocal melodies in this song are really strong as well. A few tracks later the listener is treated to ...And the Meek, the only song from their 2003 demo to appear on Grimoire. This song has some great riffiing and some great sing-along parts and this re-recorded version sounds better than ever. I can see this song being a staple of their live show for years to come. Another high point comes with the track Umbris Mortis. It was an early favorite of mine after my first listen, and it just keeps getting better. It features great performances from the band and some of the most intense playing on the album. Even more intense is the opening of Sea of Oblivion which has a distinctly black metal approach complete with blast beats, before segueing into a slow rolling riff that carries a classic slow death metal vibe, with melancholy vocals over top to create something unique. Great stuff! Album closer Red showcases all the elements that define the Shadow Demon sound. Grinding guitars, lush, haunting vocals, and intense delivery!

I know some of the comments I have made may sound negative, but don't let any of them dissuade you from checking out this band. They are more constructive criticisms than anything else. The fact of the matter is that Shadow Demon writes some great songs, deliver those songs with conviction, and aren't about to give up on their quest of world domination through kick-ass metal! Grimoire of Ruin has what it takes to your grab attention and will hopefully catapult them beyond the level of just a local band! Click the link to their Myspace page and check out some of their tunes. Then for the love of all that is (un)holy, buy the record!

Cool! It's always interesting to read reviews from folks that are 'closer' and probably more critical of our work.

Thanks for the reviews.

BTW, there are no 'filler' songs! ;)

Shut up james! You know what i meant!!!!!! Plus i never said it was filler, i said it felt more like filler than any of the other songs and that it just didn't grab me like everything else did. So... nyeah.

:danceboy:

DoomsdayZach said:
good review david! Holy shit, scary that we did mention a LOT of the same stuff. even down to examples. that's awesome. Job well done demons, i'm still spinning this disc regularly.

Yeah. I swear I didn't read yours until mine was finished either. :loco:

DoomsdayZach said:
Shut up james! You know what i meant!!!!!! Plus i never said it was filler, i said it felt more like filler than any of the other songs and that it just didn't grab me like everything else did. So... nyeah.

:danceboy:
Well you wouldn't be a tr00 Metalhead if you didn't have a criticism or two. :kickass: