Grimoire of Ruin reviews

DoomsdayZach

The Professor was right
Dec 11, 2005
Seattle, WA
www.doomsdaymusic.com
Bradzilla has submitted his review of the new Shadow Demon album to Doomsday Music. It is as follows:

There’s so little originality left in metal these days it seems, bands tend to fall into a few categories. There are the bands who follow the trend of the day but make no attempt to stand out or sound different. There are bands who think that originality means throwing in a bunch of metal or non-metal styles into their sound until it sounds so disjointed and diluted that it is often unlistenable. And then there bands like Shadow Demon who take their influences and channel them into a unique creation.

The Shadow Demon bio cites Iced Earth and Testament as two big influences, and while that information alone can yield an expectation, the end product is unlike either band. There are elements of European power metal, thrash, and even a little Destroyer 666 in “Sea of Oblivion”. Where it becomes greater than the sum of its influences is in each musician’s style and songwriting. Rhythm guitarist Jeff Helm leads the charge, sporting a warm, classic tone with a combination of thrash riffs and more melodic riffs to back the vocal lines. Longtime bassist James Rinker fills out the sound with a very midrangey tone which helps him to be heard, and while much of his playing supports the riffs he does separate from the guitar in places. Rinker is also the other primary songwriter along with Helm, and while I can’t quite put my finger on it there are definite contrasts to their styles that keeps the album fresh all the way through.

There was a time not long ago when Shadow Demon was on a seemingly endless search for a drummer which has finally ended with the addition of Jay Davidson. I don’t know where he has been hiding but his style fits perfectly in with the Shadow Demon sound. Davidson plays solidly at every tempo demanded of him, has a tight double-kick, and plays his kit in a very musical way. One of the only weaknesses to Grimoire of Ruin, however, is the drum tone. The snare is a bit thin, and along with the kick drums is set a little far back in the mix. Despite my armchair producing, the clear mix allows everything to be heard easily, and the kicks do have plenty of the necessary punch to them. The other new member, lead guitarist Ryan Gallagher, provides some great melodic shredding, except that there don’t seem to be enough places in these 9 songs for him to ply his trade. Maybe it’s my imagination, or maybe it’s that Shadow Demon went for so long without a lead guitarist that they weren’t writing the songs with solos in mind, but a few more solos here and there would certainly have been welcome.

For music like this to thrive, a great singer is required. Shadow Demon has that in Blaine Hammond. Much of the original sound Shadow Demon possesses is due to Hammond’s strong pipes, which keep the melodies strong and gritty without taking the pitch into helium territory. The easiest parallel to draw would be Matt Barlow’s singing during his tenure in Iced Earth, although he and Hammond sound nothing alike. The only singer I was really reminded of while listening to Grimoire of Ruin was brought to mind during “Umbris Mortis”, at about the minute-20 mark, where his somber tones elicit recollections of End of Green’s Infinity album. The layering of harmonies is also an integral part of the Shadow Demon sound, and are frequent though not overused, and lend a very classy feeling to the music.

Only one previously released song is present on Grimoire of Ruin, the great headbanger “…And the Meek” which had kicked off their 2003 EP, and while it is probably still my favorite Shadow Demon song there really isn’t a weak one in the newer tracks. Starting with the high energy syncopation of “A Dream of Dreams”, the powerful “Drums of War” and the Helm-penned thrasher “The Dark Citadel Part 1 (The Shifter)”, the stage is set at the outset for a classic in the making. Whether intentional or not, I found the latter half of the album to be a little more experimental, or less straightforward, although neither of those is quite the right words. Not having heard any of these songs other than the aforementioned “…And the Meek” before listening to the album, I was somewhat caught off-guard at the start of “Brave Murder Day”, which finds both the riffing and vocal melody far different than anything else on the album and then becomes about as close to a ballad as can be found here, but then the song bursts into a more typical Shadow Demon sound toward the end. The first couple listens to the album, I’ll admit, I did not like the beginning of the song, but the more I listen to it the more sense it makes. In fact, that’s a pretty good summation for the album as a whole. From the first listen I enjoyed what I was hearing, but Grimoire of Ruin really benefits from multiple listens, where you can really take in all that Shadow Demon has to offer and enjoy all the nuances of their style. The album’s artwork is worthy of mention as well, though it was not done by the band themselves, as it is a gorgeous, ominous piece of work that’s a perfect fit for this excellent album. Shadow Demon have put their souls into their music for so long and that passion shines through from beginning to end of Grimoire of Ruin.

Reactions: DemonJames
Very, very cool.

I had a feeling that this would really resonate with Brad, knowing his taste in music. And I'm happy that he was able to 'get' what we were doing with some of the songs.

http://www.ballbusterhardmusic.com/hard_announcements/metal_to_the_bone/10-2006.html#shadow_demon

SHADOW DEMON
Grimoire Of Ruin
(Darkhaven Records)
This was a new thrash band and while they don't play old school thrash, they still pretty much hit the style right on the head. No groove, no jump metal, just bone crushing riff after bone crushing riff. This will have your head banging no doubt. The band bring a refreshing style and sound to them and I can't see why if you like thrash, you wouldn't like this. If I had to mention any bands, Nuclear Assault come to mind, but minus the hardcore edge. The vocals are gruff, but not annoying and the guy has a nice set of lungs. The production is on the raw side, but for this band and the guitar sound they use, raw is a must. One of the best new bands I have heard. All hail metal. Info: http://www.darkhavenrecords.com

All hail Ballbuster Hard. :kickass:

http://www.ytsejam.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=1073

A good review from a prog-focused site: ytsejam.com. Not sure who this Blaine Lammond character is though. ;)

2006 Darkhaven Records

Classic thrash returns again

Portraying classic thrash in the vein of both early Iced Earth and Testament with the gravely texture of Diamond Head, Seattle’s Shadow Demon’s musical prowess is to perpetrate a metallic grind with no gimmicks attached. Their sound is filled with dueling guitars that have the dark Sabbath-esque tone-age, while vocalist Blaine Lammond sings with a rough, melodic baritone that drives Grimoire of Ruin’s classic metal sound through it’s nine tracks of forceful metal.

Cuts such as “…And the Meek” with it’s discreet harmonies, the dark “Sea of Oblivion,” and “Red” stand out on the record, while the rest pertains to more of a thrust of six-string crunch, staying more or less consistent throughout; it’s thrash metal that is raw.

http://www.unboundzine.com/nr112.html

Shadow Demon-Grimoire of Ruin
(Darkhaven Records, 2006)

The easy way to describe Shadow Demon would be power metal but there is definitely something unique happening here. The band has a very unique feel and almost comes across like Viking inspired power metal. The vocals are in a much lower register then most power metal and the music itself is much chunkier and heavier almost showing off a thrash influence at times. It is very unusual to hear any sort of originality when it comes to power metal so it definitely comes as a shock. It’s nice that the band isn’t typical of power metal in seemingly any way. They have a rhythmic side to them that almost brings to mind the likes of Neurosis at times, but of course in a power metal context. Does that make any sense? I’m not sure, but it is what I hear. The band has many unique ideas and seems to have little trouble putting twists on the power metal genre. I also like the fact that the band is a bit raw which is a nice change from the usual pristine nature of records in this genre. In a time when bands are more then happy to play by the numbers and album like this really stands out. In fact I might go as far as to say that this is the best power metal band to come from the US since Iced Earth. They are heavy enough to appeal to people outside of power metal though, and a few of the songs even have guttural vocals in a few spots. Hell they even go into black territory for a bit of one song, blast beat and all. This is a dynamic metal album that is really all over the board, but it all makes sense and fits into the bands dark power metal style. I was expecting very little from this, and I’m fucking blown away. This is an album that is sure to put the band on the map. I have a few small complaints, but for the most part this album is above average and very original.

Reactions: DemonJames
http://webzine.pivotalalliance.com/reviews.php...

Seattle’s Shadow Demon brings us a sound that’s akin to what you’d imagine Blind Guardian’s evil little brother would sound like. There’s a lot of potential here, but it’s still a bit immature. Although Shadow Demon is not as refined as the German giants of power metal, they’re headed in the right direction with Grimoire Of Ruin. Vocalist Blaine Hammond has a strong set of pipes. It may take a moment for some listeners to warm up to the deep, rounded tone of his voice, but once you get used to his tone, you’ll be impressed with his power and control. Tracks like “Drums Of War” and “A Dream Of Dreams” are lifted up by his commanding, well-trained singing. Certainly Hammond is a power metal god in the making.

Jeff Helm and Ryan Gallagher make an impressive axe team for the most part. They play taut rhythms and pull off some interesting scalar movements during the turnarounds. It would be nice, however to hear a bit of melodic interplay between the two. More lead breaks would also serve to enhance the vocals of Hammond a great deal. A piercing melody to underscore a verse here and there would do the trick. At some points, the tracks get a bit bogged down in sameness. Although the record’s production is fairly decent, it can be rather flat and sterile sounding after a long listen. A better reverb plate on the vocals and bringing the instrumentation up in the mix a bit would have helped quite a bit. Even so, cuts like “And The Meek” and “The Dark Citadel Part I: The Shifter” have enough strength to warrant the attention of many power metal fans. Shadow Demon could make a big impact with a full-blown studio budget. If a power metal-friendly label gave them one in the near future, it certainly would be no shock.

From MrRock.net:

http://www.mrrock.net/shadowdemon.htm

The debut full length release from Seattle's SHADOW DEMON, entitled Grimoire of Ruin, effectively combines old-school metal with thrash, resulting in a neckbreaking good time. Think a thrashier, early ICED EARTH, with vocalist Blaine Hammond really reminding me of Matt Barlow (the ex-Iced Earth singer). But this band is not a copy-cat band, or trying to sound like (insert band name here). Nope, they've got their own sound, and with this debut release, have served noticed that Seattle ain't only about the grunge.

The album kicks off in fine fashion with "A Dream of Dreams" (great title). An epic journey that showcases the band as a creative force, starting with it's sorta haunting intro right through to when the thrashing begins. Guitarists Jeff Helm and Ryan Gallagher are a formidable force throughout, with Gallagher adding some pretty wicked MAIDEN-ish leads. "Drums Of War" has a cool, tribal drum type intro, while "The Dark Citadel" has some cool rhythms. I really do like the guitar sound here, and they've added some really nice guitar heroics. Reminds me of the good 'ol days when guitarists weren't afraid to just let it shred. "Waking Among The Dead" (another cool title) is a pummeller, though at times it is a little lacking in the high and low frequencies. "Humbris Mortis" is another fine thrasher, with Helm and Gallagher once again paving the way.
Downsides? Well, not crazy about the production, with its trash can drum sound, barely audible bass, and overall mid-rangey sound. However, on a good thrash album, it's the guitars that should stand out, and here they do. As well, Grimoire of Ruin does have a great cover and booklet, and I've always said it's the little things that make the difference. I know the packaging isn't what really counts, but come on, you can't tell me you don't notice these things as well.

SHADOW DEMON have released a very cool debut disc, and in time, should prove to be an outstanding band. They're off to a damn fine start!

From "Smother" Webzine. Shredtastic! ;)

http://www.smother.net/reviews/items/metal/780/Shadow_Demon-Grimoire_of_Ruin.php

Shredtastic power metal from Seattle that harkens back to the glorious days of the New Wave of British Heavy metal ala Effigy, Legend, and Vardis. Epic overtures and Maiden-esque guitar squelching encores dot “Grimoire of Ruin” with enough heaviness to give any thrash fan a good case of whiplash. Stirring harmonies encircle each of these capsules of terrific heavy metal tunes. Nice melodic vocals of the mid to higher range will help inject Shadow Demon straight into the veins of popular US power metal.

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=4374

Power metal and 80's thrash combine full-force on the debut from Shadow Demon titled Grimoire of Ruin. From the awesome cover art courtesy of Mattias Noren, to the dark lyrical and musical imagery, Grimoire of Ruin gives off an early ambience that lasts through the final notes. Hints of Savatage (lead singer Blaine Hammond sounds a lot like Zak Stevens), Testament, and Iced Earth abound here, as the band combines powerful vocals, crushing guitar riffs, forceful rhythms, and a menacing yet melodic attitude.

The guitar work of Ryan Gallagher and Jeff Helm is very impressive, with no shortage of crunchy riffs and Gallagher's tasty lead work. "Drums of War" shows both axe-men to be in fine form, with Gallagher ripping into a few lightning bursts of shred-o-rama. Frontman Hammond has a great voice, and he soars through the galloping "A Dream of Dreams", a real Savatage-influenced number, as well as the speedy thrash of "The Dark Citadel: Part 1 (The Shifter)". Fans of European power metal bands like Hammerfall and Blind Guardian will love "...And the Meek", while "Brave Murder Day" has a certain early Iron Maiden feel to it with the rumbling rhythms and harmony guitar work. Shades of Black Sabbath styled doom can be heard on the massive guitar riffs of "Sea of Oblivion", a darker piece that also has some progressive moments to it, with Hammond's vocals sounding a tad like Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian.

The only thing really holding the band back here is a slightly muddy production, but otherwise this is tasty classic styled metal. Shadow Demon should have an exciting ride ahead of them if they stay the course.

http://www.beowolfproductions.com/MusicReviewsNov06.html

Hailing from Washington state comes this new Power Thrash Metal band. These guys have a very classic old scholl Thrash Metal sound with lots of touches of new school Power Metal mixed with in. They have a strong technical sound with lots of intricate changes through out their songs. I liked the crunchy guitar sound a lot. It keeps chugging away the music & pushing it forward like a locamotive out of control. The vocals are done in a strong mid ranged Power Metal style with some higher pitched & more melodic ones blended in. These guys will be riding the top of the heap that is the New Wave Of US Power Metal!

http://www.maelstrom.nu/ezine/review_iss50_3658.php

As soon as you see the artwork for Grimoire of Ruin, you will know that this album is, for lack of a better word, unique. The style of the band logo is heavy metal mixed with the artistic flair of black metal. The actual art looks very grim, and extremely dark with a lot of blacks and diminished reds that actually look more like pinks, but it works splendidly nonetheless. The artwork accurately describes the musical nature of Grimoire of Ruin.

During the first few moments of "A Dream of Dreams," the first track, the pace is slow in an almost sludgy manner. Male vibratos enter the song with a majestic sound and change your initial impressions of the album. Your first impressions are further changed when the album mutates into a dakr version of power metal: heavy metal with a dash of tremolos, a powerful percussion performance when plenty of smooth-traveling double bass, and heavy male vocals that are performed with such a fervor that they really sound like the vocalist is putting 110% of his ability into them with overly masculine results. There's also plenty of thrash to keep your head banging well into the night.

Grimoire of Ruin gets better and better with each oncoming song. "The Dark Citadel" shows some of the first growls, which grind like a chainsaw through cement, as well as some very well-performed Hetfield (Metallica) imitations with somewhat of an Araya (Slayer) influence in there as well. Heavy metal riffs spew forth like pus from a blister on "...And The Meek," which also holds a fantastic chorus with catchy, layered vocal melodies.

"Brave Murder Day," the name of which is most-likely a tribute to Goth rock group Katatonia, is one of the more tiresome tracks on the album due to a lack of experimentation, though the clean guitar section half way through sounds pretty spooky when combined with the vocals. Oh, yes, there is a demon lurking in the shadows preparing to devour you and/or your small children this Halloween, beware...

Grimoire of Ruin is an extremely potent journey through the lands of thrashy power metal where the songwriting is a major focus. While the performances are not perfect, they cause the album to be more enjoyable in their modesty. The occasional shred, or rock 'n' roll influenced solo peeks out from time to time and never fails to impress, adding to the mood of the album most resplendently. Definitely give Grimoire of Ruin a chance.