First impressions of the Focal Twins

Granted, I've only had these up and running for some hours, so their tone will still change quite a bit, but I thought I'd give some first impressions.

I switched from a pair of Yamaha HS80M's fed straight from a Profire2626 into a pair of Focal Twins and a Presonus Central Station, using the DA converter of the CS. Now, these monitors need some burning in before their sound settles down. I've already noticed quite a change, but the Focal manual states a minimum of 10h burn-in is required, and I've heard people recommending 80-120h burn ins. When I first powered them on, I instantly noticed the low mid definition. It's like browsing through the "mud" frequencies with a microscope. It's really hard to describe it other than just saying it's insanely accurate. I was a bit worried about the high end beforehand, since some people have said the Berylium tweeters can be a bit harsh sounding. This is not my experience with them at all so far. Comparing to the HS80M's, the hi-mid/high range is a lot softer but still very defined on the Twins. On a bit of a down side, I wasn't exactly astonished by the lowest lows at first. They were really tight and clear, but kinda "stiff." It only took a couple of hours of playing with moderate volumes for the woofers to loosen up a bit, and now the low end sounds excellent.

One thing even my girlfriend noticed was the stereo image. Compared to the HS80M's, it feels like going from 800x600 resolution to 1920x1080 when playing a game.

I'm not sure how much the tone will change over time once the burn in period is over, but I'm already absolutely sold and will definitely not return these, at least unless in the long run it turns out I can't get my mixes to translate, which I don't think is a likely scenario.

Here's a crappy pic of the setup:

twins.jpg

Congrats on your new pair of monitors! I had a similar experience when i went form my BX5a's to the Dynaudio's. Granted, the m-audio's aren't comparable to the HS80's but they are still decent cheap monitors IMO. That said, I cannot stand them anymore lol i try to get some kind of use out of them even if just for watching you tube video's the difference is so huge they usually get muted pretty fast and i switch the Dynaudio's.

BTW i'm really digging your new setup. It's clean, practical and looks good. All you need is some velcro wraps on those cables and its perfect :p I absolutely hate cables so i end up spending lots of time organizing them lol The velcro wraps help keeps things nice without too much hassle.

Congrats on your new pair of monitors! I had a similar experience when i went form my BX5a's to the Dynaudio's. Granted, the m-audio's aren't comparable to the HS80's but they are still decent cheap monitors IMO. That said, I cannot stand them anymore lol i try to get some kind of use out of them even if just for watching you tube video's the difference is so huge they usually get muted pretty fast and i switch the Dynaudio's.

BTW i'm really digging your new setup. It's clean, practical and looks good. All you need is some velcro wraps on those cables and its perfect :p I absolutely hate cables so i end up spending lots of time organizing them lol The velcro wraps help keeps things nice without too much hassle.

Thanks man! Yeah, I really need to fix the cable mess before I get some proper pictures taken, it looks horrible now :lol:

Awesome man, they look fabulous! It's hard to tell from the picture but the wood also looks very similar to your desk.
I felt the same comparing my Adam A7 to eh S3A. The A7 aren't crap by any means, but the big monitors are like a magnifying glass in the problem zones and also the stereo image is A LOT wider and more detailled, just like you said.

How are the Focal Twins set up? Do both woofers do the same job on each speaker or is it like the S3A: one for the bass frequencies (up to 200Hz AFAIR) and the other one for the mids?

Awesome man, they look fabulous! It's hard to tell from the picture but the wood also looks very similar to your desk.
I felt the same comparing my Adam A7 to eh S3A. The A7 aren't crap by any means, but the big monitors are like a magnifying glass in the problem zones and also the stereo image is A LOT wider and more detailled, just like you said.

How are the Focal Twins set up? Do both woofers do the same job on each speaker or is it like the S3A: one for the bass frequencies (up to 200Hz AFAIR) and the other one for the mids?

Yeah, they're actually a pretty good match :)

One of the woofers handles bass (40-150Hz) and one does bass-mid. They're switchable, like in the S3A's I think.

I've been listening to these pretty much non stop for the last 11 hours or so and I still keep finding cool new stuff in music I've heard a thousand times before. Yeah, these were pricy as fuck (on my standards anyway) especially with the CS, but overall I think it was money well spent. I feel confident offering mastering on projects mixed elsewhere now, just booked the first album mastering job :)

What about the difference in terms of low end? The yammy's have a bigger cone if I'm not wrong

Yeah, they do, but the construction is different. With the Yammies, the woofer handles the low end and the midrange, whereas with the Twins, one woofer only takes care of the 40-150Hz region. The low end is MUCH more focused and tight than on the Yamahas, and I'm not exaggerating.

I tacked some black fabric to the back of my desk to hide the cables.

Do you trim the output of your profire at all? I have mine set to about -6dB to prevent clipping. Just wondering because the meters look slammed on the central station.

I tacked some black fabric to the back of my desk to hide the cables.

Do you trim the output of your profire at all? I have mine set to about -6dB to prevent clipping. Just wondering because the meters look slammed on the central station.

No, I've got the Profire connected to the CS via Toslink S/PDFIT, thus the Profire serves only as the interface and all monitoring conversion is handled by the CS.

That's awesome dude, congratulations. The setup looks absolutely awesome now... just need to get a remote for that CS! ;)

Cheers! Nah, the CS is right at my hands, so no need for the remote really :)

When your girlfriend notices the difference, you KNOW it was a worthy purchase!! looks NICE mate!

Mmm...but can you bypass the DA converters in the Central Station? Because I'm thinking...when I see the big studios using the central station as monitor controller...how do they connect it? Because big studios have lot of awesome converters like apogee,linx or ssl and if at the end you use the CS DA.....different story if you can bypass the converters and if it's very transparent

When your girlfriend notices the difference, you KNOW it was a worthy purchase!! looks NICE mate!

Haha, exactly :lol:

Mmm...but can you bypass the DA converters in the Central Station? Because I'm thinking...when I see the big studios using the central station as monitor controller...how do they connect it? Because big studios have lot of awesome converters like apogee,linx or ssl and if at the end you use the CS DA.....different story if you can bypass the converters and if it's very transparent

Sure! You can use the balanced TRS inputs, and the monitor controller part is passive, so then the unit works just as a very transparent monitor controller along with the additional features (cue out, headphone amps, talkback...)

I like to have some additional analog outputs available on the Profire, and the DA converters on the Central Station should be pretty good quality. Might have to do some A/B testing, but I doubt the difference will be that big.