first time 6505 and (almost) fredman style micing impressions

Osse

Sep 15, 2009
Hey ppl, I've tried this beloved and tested method for heavy guitars for the first time.

I had a 6505 with the 6505 4x12 cab and 2x 57's, the difference was I miced different cones with the both mics, but one with 45 degree angle and the other one directly towards cone.

First impressions is that you really need trebly sound to make the fredman style micing sound at it's best, to my experience you really needed to dial really bright sound on the amp, search for the brightest position with each mic but it will still not be as bright as the amp sounds in the room.

I've got a pair of questions tho, maybe someone could clear them out or direct me for better recordings!

One thing is that the master volume of the (at least this) 6505 was the knob of the amp that changed the character most dramatically, when increasing volume it got more and more dull/middy and all the high frequencies required for the fredman style was gone, even if I had both the treble and presence control turned up max.

The settings of the amp was approx high = 10, presence = 10, mid = 3 low = 2, rhythm channel and gain on max and master on about 4. Pickup was emg 81

I experienced that the cab could definently take more volume to get more chunk, but on the behalf of the beloved treble from the amp... which was my main concern. Anyone got any approaches on this?

doesn't really matter in the end... it sounds friggin awesome when the mic's are in place and the phase is right. But I think the cab definently sounds better at a bit higher volume..

Here is a sample, what do you think? A comment about the mix would be cool also...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5ID6RNT

That sounds a tad too scratchy and undefined to my ears. The settings are quite radical, I don't think I have ever ended up with presence and treble on 10. Could be the cab, though.

Also, please use Dropbox instead of Megaupload. Such sites are a major pain in the ass. You can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE4MDk3MDU5 (The link contains my referral code, which means we both get an extra 250MB if you register with it. If you don't want to use the referral code, you can go straight to https://www.dropbox.com/ )

"One thing is that the master volume of the (at least this) 6505 was the knob of the amp that changed the character most dramatically, when increasing volume it got more and more dull/middy and all the high frequencies required for the fredman style was gone, even if I had both the treble and presence control turned up max."

I find that master volume is a strong tonal change on any amp even S.S amps when micing . To get a good balance between chunky lows , punchy mids and crisp highs might depend as much as mic distance from cones , room reflections and cab as the actual eq settings on the head.
Also I think the crisp frequencies are still there at higher spl's but they just dont benefit in the same way as lower frequencies .
TBH I dont know .
Its all a balancing act isnt it !

I know that sealed cabs do tighten up the harder they are pushed you could try a ported one or just a different brand ?!

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that shit was almost as loud as Death Magnetic:erk:
Heaps of clipping all over the place, just sounds nasty man, no offense.
Back the level down a bit and upload a new master of it (preferably to dropbox this time) cos I'd love to hear it without all the damn clipping all over the joint:lol: