First Impressions of The Spell of Retribution

Planetary Eulogy said:
You seem overly concerned with the superficial (i.e. technique). In every MEANINGFUL sense, it's a far, far less "rock-n-roll affair" than any of their previous material.
You're going to tell me that you'd take seemingly random solos that don't add anything to the music over the style of Deathcult where the lead work expanded upon the themes played by the rhythm guitar?

You're also going to tell me that you like them recycling riffs off of the previous album?

The way the ideas are being developed upon here is really something, I'm beginning to realise...

I didn't like this much originally simply because I couldn't grasp the subtlety without more concentration, I think.

Planetary Eulogy said:
. The first true masterpiece of the millennium
Man, I don't think you have listened to other awsome bands or maybe you're new in the scene so you got impressed with this album.
I have listened to this album several times and it's a good job, very catchy riffs to bang your head around, very influenced by masters like Slayer and Dissection but certainly is nothing to die for.
I like the first two tracks but as soon as they get into the slow ones I got a little bored. I don't find that obscure feeling from early albums like "Deathcult" or "Procession", I wasn't impressed at all to name this album the best of this millennium or even the best of this year.

Ockham said:
I don't get why people are so in love with The Fortress, I think it's the worst track on the album.
your quote is interesting, so what's the best track for you ? I'd say the worst track is "The Eclipse..." very monotonous.

Ockham said:
Actually I think The Eclipse is fantastic.

Fav tracks: 6, 2, 7 and 8.

1. Retribution of the Lost Years (even better than the second pastfinder, and that was damn good)
2. The Eclipse: <extra 50 words>
3. The Omnipotent Codex
4. Remains of the Covenant
5. The Eternal Cycle of Delusion