First Impressions of The Spell of Retribution

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
I grabbed a copy of this much anticipated release from The Chasm today, and I must say that even with my familarity with the band, I still wasn't prepared for just how good this record turned out to be. This is easily their best work yet, surpassing even Deathcult for Eternity. Daniel Corchado's mastery of his own artistic idiom is absolute. The creative language seen rough hewn on earlier albums here emerges fully develped, with a level of conceptual coherence and refined execution hitherto reached only by Burzum at the height of Varg's power. Death metal, rendered symphonically, with an unerring instinct for the epic, the dramatic and the ancient. The first true masterpiece of the millennium.

10+/10

I've only heard Fortress, but from that track I definitely got a "This is gonna be huge!" vibe, so your positive feedback is encouraging.

*rubs hands in anticipation of meager paycheck*

I seem to remember a certain quote in my signature about the most valuable albums meaning very little on the first listen and becoming enduring classics by the thirteenth or eighteenth.

Good stuff.

Eh, I've listened to it quite a few times (and am indeed listening to it now), and it strikes me as the weakest to date.

The opening intro has nearly the same riff as "Procession to the Infraworld" on their previous album did; the next song has a few passages that sound like fucking Dissection; Manifest My Intervention has one of the dumbest transitions I've ever heard; Fortress, the best song on the album, starts off with a lousy riff; the list goes on and on.

As a whole, the whole album is somewhat of a more rock-n-roll affair, particularly in the guitar solos.

That said, it's not terrible; in fact, I'd say it's a "good" album- around a 70% or so if I were to review it. But it's a far cry from Deathcult or Conjuration.

Deathcult of Conjuration aye, I'll be sure to look out for that one.

I think its a great album, although it is nothing that brilliantly new. It is much the same as Conjuration of the Spectral Empire, although as mentioned above, a little more clearly produced and a crisper sound.

Yeah, but it was still funny. Reminds me of a scene in Malibu's Most Wanted. Something about a Gamecast...

I hope to give this album a concentrated listen on a good stereo for the first time tonight. It's bold words indeed to suggest that this is the greatest death metal album ever.

Ok, now I'm hearing some cracking ideas, but this is still going over my head at the moment. The Chasm's records always take time with me. The last track is perhaps the most obvious work of genius thusfar, though I've found in the past that my favourites end up being ones that don't stand out for a long time, but subtley get under your skin. As a whole though, this is promising something special now. Not necessarily Deathcult-special, though...

I found it immediately enjoyable (very slick production), but not as endearing as Deathcult for Eternity. It's still a good album, though.

Cynical said:
Eh, I've listened to it quite a few times (and am indeed listening to it now), and it strikes me as the weakest to date.

The opening intro has nearly the same riff as "Procession to the Infraworld" on their previous album did; the next song has a few passages that sound like fucking Dissection; Manifest My Intervention has one of the dumbest transitions I've ever heard; Fortress, the best song on the album, starts off with a lousy riff; the list goes on and on.

As a whole, the whole album is somewhat of a more rock-n-roll affair, particularly in the guitar solos.

That said, it's not terrible; in fact, I'd say it's a "good" album- around a 70% or so if I were to review it. But it's a far cry from Deathcult or Conjuration.
You seem overly concerned with the superficial (i.e. technique). In every MEANINGFUL sense, it's a far, far less "rock-n-roll affair" than any of their previous material.