First Metal-Archives review of the new album...

Frostangelstorm

Mighty Ravendark
Sep 6, 2005
Blashyrkh
Art progressive indie noise avant-garde - 21%
Written by LeTisonBrulant on January 11th, 2006

How to begin with this review? After reading this, i'm sure a lot of you are probably gonna think i'm the 'METAL ONLY' type of guy with no 'diverse' and 'open-minded' tastes in music as some would say, but don't get me wrong, I am a big lover of post/indie rock, noise rock, avant-garde and all other weirdies in between. 'Dowsing Anemone with Copper Tongue' is the second full-length from 'Avant' metal band Kayo Dot, and having 3 full-lengths under the name MOTW. Just before listening to this album, my bullshit radar immediately flashed. Huge line-up and very fucking arrogant titles (Amaranth the Peddler. seriously, what the fuck? I don't care how many drugs, or how 'arty' you think you are, that's a fucking GAY title). Well, after all that bullshit, I decided to spin the album and try to leave these (un)comforting prejudices aside. 'Gemini Becoming the Tripod' kicks things off, and for some reason it's EXACTLY how I thought it would sound - long, boring, uninspired, trying to create an interesting atmosphere but failing at it on almost every level. There's a riff near the end, but that's not enough to cover the 8 minutes of your life that you'll never get back. The loud and obnoxious instrumentation creates a post-rock atmosphere, plus arrogance, more random bullshit and whatnot. Instead of creating repetitive trance-inducing atmosphere (like certain black metal bands), or calming, soothing drones (like some drone bands), the stuff here is 80% filler, 15% avant-riff bullshit and 5% of good stuff.

Seriously, what the fuck? The second song, 'Immortelle And Paper Caravelle' (I know, it's hard not to laugh at the titles). I waited forever for it to start. Thing is it doesn't start. You can skip to almost anywhere in this song and what you'll hear is near-silence. It's nearly 10 minutes long too. Yes, I know, as 'open-minded' asshats would say, this is 'grower' music, but trust me, I can tell the difference between bullshit 'avant' music and actually grower music, stuff that has a certain level of complexity. 'Aura On An Asylum Wall' is the strongest song here (or should I say, the song that doesn't suck as much as the rest), despite having some random-as-all-fuck lyrics and a considerable amount of filler. 'On Limpid Form', the longest track (and supposedly the 'highlight), drags on for 18 fucking minutes. Eighteen. There's a few good moments (I'd say maybe a minute and a half of that), but it's usually just trying to be noise. Yeah, I said it. They try to be that noisy post-rock band that tries to be 'noise'. This isn't actual noise. Noise is stuff like Merzbow, Borbetomagus, Government Alpha etc. Not randomly plucking your instrument with that asian art chick that listens to indie rock and wears purple highliner and dies her hair pink (which, if you haven't realized it yet, is what Kayo Dot is all about).

So, verdict? No matter how 'avant', 'indie', 'arty', 'original' or 'open-minded' you try to be, there's no enjoying of this album. I'd like to thank Opeth and misunderstanding of the 'avant-garde' term for breeding this monster that creates scenester kids. You know, that kid who walks around campus with a Pelican or Opeth shirt, arrogant look, and who's probably gonna end up writing a book about music and spirituality and...ok, i'll stop that for now. This is arrogant, over-the-top, 'noisy, and last but definitely not least boring music. Don't get it. Download it if you want, but whipe the dust off you delete button before you do.

:erk:

I like it how he started the review by saying that he "ain't no typical metalhead", and then complaining how the first song "had a riff only 8 minutes after the beginning". I also like how he pays so much attention to unusual song structures and concentrates on explaining that Kayo Dot "don't sound like Merzbow", which "makes them suck".

There's also a lot of bullshit nonsense in the review I didn't quite understand, such as the Opeth reference(wtf?)and a mention of a pink-haired girl(double wtf), the guy who spent his time typing that up could be insane. I am surprised how such a trusted website lets such reviews go through.

'actual grower music' not 'actually grower music'. I think Kayo Dot should be happy that metalheads call the titles of the songs gay. Their 'gay' is good.

You know, that kid who walks around campus with a Pelican or Opeth shirt, arrogant look, and who's probably gonna end up writing a book about music and spirituality and.

that's a funny line if you just read it by itself tho in an unrelated sense

i guess it has never occured to anyone that this album might actually be bad? although i guess when you get into this genre its all relative. you can't really diss someone's tastes.

I could respect the criticism a lot more if it didn't call the song-titles "gay" early on. that sort thing makes me write off someone's opinion from the get-go.

I think a lot of what he's getting at is totally valid, but the way it's written is incredibly immature.

"Gustave Charpentier's Louise (Sills, Gedda, Dunn, Van Dam, Paris Opera, Rudel conducting, EMI) is a incredible recording and 'Louise' truly need a revival but the new recording of the Beethoven's Second by the London Philarmonic (Sony) is totally gay"

i got a big kick out of this review. but then, i still think the grimoire is pretty funny. also i was totally in love with bill zebub and he broke my heart. we didnt have sex, by the way.

i doubt many on this board would think the album is bad. possible, but unlikely. anyway, the really funny thing about that review is the HUGE chip that the guy has on his shoulder. the generalizations that he makes about us, are why we make fun of the review. i'd take it more seriously if it weren't on metal-archives which anyone can post to, and if it lacked some of the inaccurate generalizations. such as that we are arrogant, etc.