First mix after a couple month break.

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Yea ive been tracking projects the past 2 months and have done zero mixing. So I feel a little rusty at mixing if you must know. Anyway here is my very first mix attempt and ive been up all night working on Ns10's. So my ears are shot as these Ns10's do work on your ears!!

Let me know your thoughts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/America.mp3

Sounds fucking sweet man! Your stuff always sounds amazing though. I'd say it doesn't sound quite as strong as some other mixes that I've heard from you, but I really can't put my finger on exactly why. Everything sounds reeeeeeeaaaaaaally nice though man! What band is it dude?

everything sounds great man! My only opinion is that i think the vocals could use a layer or two more here and there too make them alittle more epic if you know what i mean! but yeah! sounds great man!

Kris

Yea i just took a ride in the car to grab lunch and the mix is ok but its not where it needs to be I think. I guess back to the drawing board or mixing board. ;)

I used trigger and i blended the fat toms and birch and I used a room mic from each tom as well. One ssd and one nrg and there blended back to -13. I used waves ssl for post stuff and I boosted some lows on different freq for each tom. Small was like 150hz and then middle like 120 ect.... I also boosted a bit of 8k as well and thats it really.

Fully replaced...

Well what i did because the drumming is fucking nutz and was hard to get everything perfect. I made the drummer do multi samples of each cymbal and then I cut them up and made gog's with them. Then in protools I just used a snippet of audio (kinda like a trigger but used a sine wav to make) and built/matched his drum performance. I tracked everything but we just could not get the sound we wanted out of the performance, so we went this route instead.

Sucks because i spent like 10 hours editing drums and then did not end up using them. I think it was for the best though.

Wow, that sure seems like an awful lot of work. I've never run into a situation where I feel I needed to replace every last cymbal hit. Hell, I've only replaced one or two occasionally when I didn't like the decay. But, I've gotta say, you've pulled this off very well. Good job! (I hope you charged by the hour!)

FWIW, give the Glyn Johns method a shot, it might smooth things out for you.

Yea this is a Ferret Records project so I was pretty open to doing what ever it needed to make it sound great. Honestly replacing the drums like this was faster than the actual drum editing.

Have you used your Oktava with this Glyn Johns method?

Im using the same mics and just curious. I also got some ribbon mics and such that might be fun to test with this style. Thanks for the heads up about this style though!

Pretty damn good man. I can kind of hear weird decay on the crashes sometimes. I don't know if it's cause I read that you replaced them or that I'm really hearing it. Think you have a pretty great mix going here and good luck with the Ferret release.