First mix, could use some feedback :)

Williamn

Aug 4, 2009
Ireland - Denmark
Hello everyone, as you can see by my post count and join date im new to this forum and mixing/mastering in generel so im nowhere as good as many of the talented people here, but im trying my best to learn and improve :).

This is a intro track to a "album" im working on atm (in the screamo/post-hardcore genre) and so far this is the sound I have
NEWEST MIX:

If anyone is able to hear anything that sticks out and could use some attention, or just got a overall tips on what I could do to make it better.. let me know :)

(btw don't mind the acoustic guitar sound so much, its fake and my real acoustic is sadly out of batteries atm heh)

As I said in the title this is my first mix, so please be gentle ;)

Thank you very much, im glad you liked it :).
I have updated the post with a new mix after spending most of this day trying to improve it..So if anyone have any thoughts to share please do heh.

I feel sometimes the piano gets too loud. I'm also not a fan of of the drum samples. More of an opinion. Like arv_foh said, the drums get buried in the mix at the end.

Hello all.. After spending lots of time tweaking, learning and trying different stuff, I now have a new (better IMO) updated mix I would love to get some feedback on.

I have tryed to fix the stuff you guys pointed out and now the mix should be much cleaner, A thing I noticed and are working on atm is the bass, its kinda booming/deep and im having some trouble taming it.

Thanks to those who listen :)

NEW MIX: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1709665/We are not as brave as we used to be 5.mp3

Nice dude. I like the vibe. Hard to say if this is relevant given the sort of track it is, but the kick/snare could maybe use abit more body to them. They seem abit thin compared to the toms.
The final part reminds me of explosions in the sky due to the pumping and muddiness in the mix, so if that's what you were going for you've got it. Even then I'd probably lay off afew dB on the compression, but that;s entirely taste there.

Nice dude. I like the vibe. Hard to say if this is relevant given the sort of track it is, but the kick/snare could maybe use abit more body to them. They seem abit thin compared to the toms.
The final part reminds me of explosions in the sky due to the pumping and muddiness in the mix, so if that's what you were going for you've got it. Even then I'd probably lay off afew dB on the compression, but that;s entirely taste there.

Hey thanks alot for the feedback man.. I totally agree on the kick and snare, it needs more body.

The sound im going for at the end is the intense-wall-of-distortion-ending.. I have tryed doing what you suggested, please listen if you got time: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1709665/We are not as brave as we used to be 6ny.mp3 :kickass:

slayercannibalsuffohead, thanks for listningen, its ofcourse midi into a tweaked realguitar2 vst :)

Hey thanks alot for the feedback man.. I totally agree on the kick and snare, it needs more body.

The sound im going for at the end is the intense-wall-of-distortion-ending.. I have tryed doing what you suggested, please listen if you got time: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1709665/We are not as brave as we used to be 6ny.mp3 :kickass:

slayercannibalsuffohead, thanks for listningen, its ofcourse midi into a tweaked realguitar2 vst :)

Getting better Bill, the snare is now sounding soggy to me, although I have listened to the acoustic part more often than the end! There is something mezmerising about it. :headbang:

Hey man, listening to the new mix, let's see - I can tell the acoustics are fake, but they still sound great to my ears (frequency wise, very full). Same with the piano, really rich sound you've got going on here! :) Ooh, not too keen on the drums though - hi-hat is WAYYYY too loud, kick is too thin and clicky for this style IMO, and the snare sounds too airy/snappy, probably too much reverb. What's the bass instrument in here? Sounds like a VSTi bowed upright bass. Oog, guitars just came in; hate to break it dude, but between the tones and drums, you've pretty much nailed the Burzum/Darkthrone/old Emperor sound...for better or for worse :D Cool music, but yeah, distorted tones are way too harsh IMO!

Hey man, listening to the new mix, let's see - I can tell the acoustics are fake, but they still sound great to my ears (frequency wise, very full). Same with the piano, really rich sound you've got going on here! :) Ooh, not too keen on the drums though - hi-hat is WAYYYY too loud, kick is too thin and clicky for this style IMO, and the snare sounds too airy/snappy, probably too much reverb. What's the bass instrument in here? Sounds like a VSTi bowed upright bass. Oog, guitars just came in; hate to break it dude, but between the tones and drums, you've pretty much nailed the Burzum/Darkthrone/old Emperor sound...for better or for worse :D Cool music, but yeah, distorted tones are way too harsh IMO!

Great feedback, I will try to look into the things you mentioned :).
Its a bass from Eastwest colossus.. and haha at the Burzum/Darkthrone/old Emperor sound comment, not sure how to take that one ;).

I don't like superior 2 stock kick, easiest to replace it. If you still want to keep it then it suggest you to turn the KD In(the leftmost one) mic lower in the mix to remove that clicky sound. Maybe try cutting like 200hz and bring the sub mic up a bit.

Okay im starting to get near what I would call a final version aka im sick and tired of hearing this song hehe. so this is the most likely the last time I bother you guys \o/ (well until I record something new).
This is the new version and I would love to get some feedback on volume levels between the instruments and just general mixing/mastering advice :)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1709665/We are not as brave as we used to be9 slateny2.mp3.mp3

BTW for the people that have already commented, it could be great if you listen to it again.. a shitload of stuff has happened since the first version I posted !

Yeah, bring the piano down in the first part. Guitars does not have enough low end, I think your highpassing them to high. I also think the snare sounds a bit static in the fast fills, sounds like it's only one sample.