First new recording in a LONG time.

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
Wow, its been a hell of a long time since I've written anything new. I just wrote this little song idea tonight, and I'm itching for some feedback. Its a first mix so I know its not going to be great, and the song is not even done yet, its just a bunch of ideas I just came up with so sorry for the randomness. Any feedback is appreciated! Guitar setup is Ibanez S > EMG 85 > Countryman 85 DI > 2 tracks Revalver 2 tracks PodFarm2. Bass is a Soundgear into a PODX3 and drums are the Toontrack Hit Factory kit with Slate kick and snare supplements.

Oh yeah, and don't ask how the March Hare album is coming along.

Keep in mind that this is still just a song writing template. The song is still being written and there's more riffs in the pipeline.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10711609

To be honest I don't think it's on par with your all of your previous work. Maybe when it's finished and with vocals added it will be better.
The mix sounds awesome though.

Also, I know you said not to ask, but at what stage of this whole album creation process are you? I mean is there any more tracking to be done or is it just mixing/mastering?

OMG, I was "wow, nice amps he must have" and then come back to read to post and its revalver and pod, well done mate! Any more info on the sims you used?

Dig the spacey intro! It feels like it drags on a bit with the same theme after it gets to the riffing/muted stuff, so probably big emphasis on cool vocal lines needed there.

Oh yes, the song is in its infancy and I've got much work to do. It needs a lot of direction at this point, but I was so excited that I actually worked on some new shit that I had to post it!

To be honest I don't think it's on par with your all of your previous work. Maybe when it's finished and with vocals added it will be better.
The mix sounds awesome though.

Also, I know you said not to ask, but at what stage of this whole album creation process are you? I mean is there any more tracking to be done or is it just mixing/mastering?

I hear what you're saying, but I think the final structure and the addition of vox will improve it drastically. As far as the album goes, I've been so busy I have worked on literally nothing for a long time now. In the spare moments I've had, it seems like all I do is fuck around with Nebula programs and testing new amp sims. I LACK FOCUS!!!!

Chino on top of this and we have something between "around the fur" and "back to school"

I love it

Nice! I loves me some Deftones......obviously.

OMG, I was "wow, nice amps he must have" and then come back to read to post and its revalver and pod, well done mate! Any more info on the sims you used?

I'll post some screen shots tomorrow. I fucking LOVE Revalver. Nothing comes close in my opinion.

On a completely different note, for all you guys putzing around with amp sims using your POD as a DI box, stop wasting your time immediately and get yourself something like the Countryman Type 85 Direct Box. After getting mine, I literally felt like I had wasted 4 years of my life trying to get a proper tone from sims, especially trying to remove the muddiness that is commonly encountered. The tone difference in the top end of you DI signal is just ridiculous, almost to the point where the POD DIs sound like there is a low pass filter. In a nut shell, using a TS9 sim or something is no longer as vital to getting a crisp cut now that the amp sims have a proper signal to work with.

It saddens me that people with so much musical talent are forced to spend most of their time for something else, while people with no such talent have the time to write and release whole albums of crap.

I love the song man! The guitar tone is also sweet. Care to share what you are using for speaker simulation? Bass is very nice too.

On a completely different note, for all you guys putzing around with amp sims using your POD as a DI box, stop wasting your time immediately and get yourself something like the Countryman Type 85 Direct Box. After getting mine, I literally felt like I had wasted 4 years of my life trying to get a proper tone from sims, especially trying to remove the muddiness that is commonly encountered. The tone difference in the top end of you DI signal is just ridiculous, almost to the point where the POD DIs sound like there is a low pass filter. In a nut shell, using a TS9 sim or something is no longer as vital to getting a crisp cut now that the amp sims have a proper signal to work with.

Is there any chance you can post a couple of samples of guitar DI signal through POD and through the countryman DI to see the difference?
I haven't the slightest doubt what you say it's true as I have the same problem with pod and even when I use the instrument input of my saffire pro 24 (I actually EQ the DI to remove low end), but I'd like to hear exactly how big is the difference.

Is there any chance you can post a couple of samples of guitar DI signal through POD and through the countryman DI to see the difference?
I haven't the slightest doubt what you say it's true as I have the same problem with pod and even when I use the instrument input of my saffire pro 24 (I actually EQ the DI to remove low end), but I'd like to hear exactly how big is the difference.

+1

that would be really insteresting!

/edit/ I record through a POD UX2, haven't really gotten the time to go deeper into it's converters and all that, so hearing clean DI's from dedicated DI box would be like a shortcut :D

I'm really thinking about getting the countryman 85... +1 for a DI comparative. Even if I'm happy with my line6 podstudio KB37, if you say that a DI is a great improvement...