First ProgPower (Europe) review

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Well, a little one, as I'm pretty tired....

To be short; none of the bands on Saturday were interesting;
only Oceans of Sadness (replacement of Mechanical Poët) and Nahemah were pretty good. For the rest alot of harsh vocal stuff, boring to simply bad...I expected much from DGM, but the vocalist was not nearly as good as on CD, and the band not tight enough. Orphaned Land from Israel were interesting, becouse of the big Eastern influences in the music, but also a bad vocalist, who was singing both clean and harsh vocals, but neither the clean nor the harsh vocals were strong....Headliner Alchemist, I don't know, there were good kinda Slayer mixed with Celtic Frost moments, but overall; Boring !!!

Ofcourse all the good bands come on Sunday; Meyvn, Circus Maximus, Dreamscape, Jon Oliva...you'll hear more of that tomorrow, after the show!!

I also heard Vandenplas wasn't allowed into the US for their show on PP USA, that's a damn shame, guess Bryant will be very sad about that :erk:

Ofcourse all the good bands come on Sunday; Meyvn, Circus Maximus, Dreamscape, Jon Oliva...you'll hear more of that tomorrow, after the show!!

The good.

Well, a little one, as I'm pretty tired....

To be short; none of the bands on Saturday were interesting;

The bad

I also heard Vandenplas wasn't allowed into the US for their show on PP USA, that's a damn shame, guess Bryant will be very sad about that :erk:

The ugly.

It's my idea or PPVIII has been the one plagued with most "bad vibes", bans unable to attend, changes in line-ups, etc. In a sense glad I didn't make it and I hope PPIX will be radiant and we all can meet in USA (still nevertheless thinking about going to WOA).

NP: Mekong Delta - 'Confession Of Madness'

Orphaned Land from Israel were interesting, becouse of the big Eastern influences in the music, but also a bad vocalist, who was singing both clean and harsh vocals, but neither the clean nor the harsh vocals were strong....

I love Orphaned Land. Happy to hear you enjoyed the music, if not the vocals. They do mix clean and harsh, and it sounds good on record, maybe the live mix was wrong or Kobi (singer) was having off night?

I'm interested in views of Circus Maximus (new album is great!) and of course, Jon Oliva. :headbang: Jon played an acoustic set for PPUSA the other night that got rave reviews from those in attendance.

quick update on Sunday ...
Was muuuuuuuch better !!!
Best bands; Day Six (from Holland), Circus Maximus, Sieges Even
Jon Oliva's Pain ruled !!!! (again)
Meyvn suffered from a very bad mix.
Dreamscape played too many new songs , no one knew 'm, but not bad..

All together a GREAT day, now gotta jump in bed, I have to
leave for work in about 4 hours :-/

Cool !!!! Glad you enjoyed them. Circus Maximus aren't very good as far as their stage presence, but when I saw them, they were effortless in their music and vocals. I would love to see Sieges Even. I hope they make it to the US one day. Glad you enjoyed Dreamscape and Jon Oliva as well.

Bryant

quick update on Sunday ...
Was muuuuuuuch better !!!
Best bands; Day Six (from Holland), Circus Maximus, Sieges Even
Jon Oliva's Pain ruled !!!! (again)
Meyvn suffered from a very bad mix.
Dreamscape played too many new songs , no one knew 'm, but not bad..

All together a GREAT day, now gotta jump in bed, I have to
leave for work in about 4 hours :-/

Too bad the singer from DGM was a let down. I heard some stuff from them and really dig it. What does Day Six sound like? I never heard of them.
Glad to hear that Sunday was much better. I know that would have been my day of choice for sure.

Cool !!!! Glad you enjoyed them. Circus Maximus aren't very good as far as their stage presence, but when I saw them, they were effortless in their music and vocals. I would love to see Sieges Even. I hope they make it to the US one day. Glad you enjoyed Dreamscape and Jon Oliva as well.

Bryant

Sieges even is a band outside competition, they deserve to become a "superband"; the live performance is a real musical experience. These guys know how to write very complex, but still very enjoyable songs!

Too bad the singer from DGM was a let down. I heard some stuff from them and really dig it. What does Day Six sound like? I never heard of them.

The singer from
DGM also seemed to be a let down for the own band too (again they stated...)

Day Six is more Symphonic Hardrock, with some modern touches (a few heavy Dream Theater-ish riffs). I think they were the suprise of the day, as they were a very strong opener of the Sunday bill. Very strong vocalist. The guitar solo's needed a bit of work, but overall a very interesting and very young band!!They will release a new CD very soon.

my favorites were Meyvn (awesome musicianship, singer and songs, sorry I didn't know the songs earlier, picked up the cd at the fest) and of course Mr. Mountain King himself, who always looooooves to be in Holland (read: to get totally stoned) that makes him perform with a huge grin on his face the whole time (or does he do that in other countries as well? ;)) Two hours went by like 15 minutes...
And the after party, oh man.... Jon was done by midnight, Nico and I rolled out of the venue with the organizers when they closed at around 5.30 am :kickass::loco: