Quick Progpower Europe review

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Still half asleep this morning, but here's a short PP Europe review...Sorry, no pics, I will have a new camera next week so you'll see more pics in future..
Hawk already was there on Saturday, but besides headliner Mercenary there wasn't any real good band. Mostly the kind of Progressive metal with growling vocals, also stuff I can't get into mostly..
Saturday I arrived in the beautiful old town of Baarlo in Holland, the location is really superb if you want to go out and walk around a bit in between bands...

-Sphere of Souls (replaced Pantommind) ; Great Dutch band with Andre Vuurboom (ex-sun Caged) on vocals. Sound was very clear (throughout the whole day) and this band had deserved to play a little higher on the bill. Very proffesional band , I can recommend them for PP USA !!

-Nova Art ; This year there were bands from allover the world. Nova Art is a band from Moscow, Russia. A VERY young band, and lots of talent there. the vocalist needs some time to get used on, but he's okay, I sometimes hear some old Fish (Marillion) vibes there. Also great oldschool keyboards. We talked a bit with some of the guys later on , funny russian accent there, and they were thrilled to be there. We probably will hear more of these guys later on.

-Voyager is an Australian band, that played for the first time outside Australia. The have a female bass and guitar player, especially the 21 year old lady on the guitars did a good job. I didn't like the vocals though. Very powerfull on mid range but that was it, a bit higher and he started CoF- type screetching, and that kills stuff for me. I think the second (male) guitar player had a much better voice...

-Dark Suns from Germany can be described very quickly : boring !!!

-Communic was the band a lot of people came for. And they delivered the goods !! Very modern Thrash, not too many bands beside Nevermore and Communic are able to play some decent modern Thrash I think... Complicated music but enough "mosh" parts for the headbangers !! The guys are very down to earth, nice to talk with !! They told us it's not that easy to get along professionally in the scene, they all have jobs and lives besides the band and it's hard to combine that with touring...Hopefully a band for PP USA next year..

-Last band was Riverside from Poland. We were pretty tired and sat outside the venue, drinking some beers, having fun with some of Hawks old friends (one of them visited PP USA already 4 times !!). Was pretty fun, singing kids songs of our youth !! Oh yes, and Riverside; we could hear them well out there and their set seemed very good. More the kind of music you need a chair for, relax and enjoy. Maybe I need to take more care of them at another time...

All together very nice festival, very good relaxed atmosphere...Hey, and there you pass a tall guy, saying hi and than realising..wasn't that Arjen Lucassen!! He just walked around in the public and talked to fans...Also had a little chat with Marcel Coenen (Sun Caged) , one of the better guitar players on this globe..:headbang:

Also announced were some bands for next year; Jon Oliva's Pain, Circus Maximus, Dreamscape and Heaven's Cry; a damn good reason to already buy tickets !!

flyer.jpg

carnut said:
Still half asleep this morning, but here's a short PP Europe review...Sorry, no pics, I will have a new camera next week so you'll see more pics in future..
Hawk already was there on Saturday, but besides headliner Mercenary there wasn't any real good band. Mostly the kind of Progressive metal with growling vocals, also stuff I can't get into mostly..
Saturday I arrived in the beautiful old town of Baarlo in Holland, the location is really superb if you want to go out and walk around a bit in between bands...

-Sphere of Souls (replaced Pantommind) ; Great Dutch band with Andre Vuurboom (ex-sun Caged) on vocals. Sound was very clear (throughout the whole day) and this band had deserved to play a little higher on the bill. Very proffesional band , I can recommend them for PP USA !!

Cool !! Glad you had a great time. It is great you and Hawk get to hang out.

I love Andre's vocals with Sun Caged. I need to hear this band. I somehow forget about them. Sun Caged was supposed to play the Prog Power pre-party show a few years ago and they split up and had to cancel. If the new band sounds similar to Sun Caged, I would love to see them.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Cool !! Glad you had a great time. It is great you and Hawk get to hang out.

I love Andre's vocals with Sun Caged. I need to hear this band. I somehow forget about them. Sun Caged was supposed to play the Prog Power pre-party show a few years ago and they split up and had to cancel. If the new band sounds similar to Sun Caged, I would love to see them.

Bryant

The style of the Sphere of Souls album is very similar to sun caged, so if you like that you will like SoS too. Although I think it has a chronical shortage of guitar solo's. They have a very good guitar player, but there are too little solo's on the album. Nevertheless a very good record, in my top 10 of the year !!

Cool! Looks like a great lineup. I would have definitely gone to the Friday night show with Scar Symmetry and Mercenary. I'm hoping we get SS over here next year for at least a pre-party appearance. That would kill!

carnut said:
All together very nice festival, very good relaxed atmosphere...Hey, and there you pass a tall guy, saying hi and than realising..wasn't that Arjen Lucassen!!

Haven't heard a single band of the festival (except Communic which I didn't like) by music or even name :oops:

But I would have give all to have a pic taken with Arjen (even if my head height is around his belt :lol: )

Good review carnut. I had a great time. But Communic ruled all! Nice to see my buddy carnut again. And thanks to Marlies and Nico who organized a place to stay when I needed one.

Communic pic, Hawk can be found on the left just in front of stage...

ProgPower_0153.jpg

guitar player of Sphere of Souls (the guy I wanna hear alot more of on the next album becouse he's damn good!!)

ProgPower_0102.jpg

Female guitar player of Voyager (21 years old and damn good)

ProgPower_0120.jpg

Copyright www.metalshots.com

carnut said:
Bass player of Australian band Voyager..

5.jpg

Lindo bajo = nice bass ( sorry the joke only have sense in Spanish)

Sounds like a good show, next years looks better IMO. Riverside is good, but seems like an odd band to end with.

Those are some nice boots!:)