First song using DFHS

Sounds pretty killer, but it sounds like you're suffering from the same kick and snare issues as me :lol: I just got DFHS about a week ago and I've been tweaking it like 4 hours a day and I still can't get the goddamn kick sound I want. Is that a Pod on the guitar? It sounds pretty good.

Sounds like the typical result of people who just got DFHS. The snare rolls sound super fake. You need to loosen a lot of stuff up. This not not a knock on you but is anyone else really tired of hearing the
pod type tone + DKFH = meshuggah
songs.

You're not the only one, trust me.
Sometimes coming to these boards bums me out, cause I've been doing this shit for years and trying to perfect the use of these tools within my own style.. but the more accessible products like these are getting, the less value making ones own music seems to have. The more songs are posted with "what do you think of my sound" the less people care. How many people now are doing 1 or 2 man projects.. LOTS. argh.

Groove from 1:02-1:28 is great man. And 2:33-3:00 also but it would sound better without the snare rolls during that part. 5:20-END is great. :)

minstrel - While yes it does get kind of old when every time you come to the boards and see three new "check out my latest song" or "check out this mix" or "comment on my guitar tone" threads every time...that is sort of the point of this forum anyway though. As long as I've been here it's been a place where people can post their latest efforts so that they can get advice from people that do know how to help them. This place has always been a gigantic book of knowledge for people that range from amateur to professional, you can find useful tips, neat ways to do things, latest in what's good and what's not, cool peices of gear that are great that you may have never even looked at, etc. Not to mention the tech help you can get with wiring, program errors, computer related questions, and the list goes on. So if it's a problem with you getting tired of people that are doing "1 or 2 man projects..", maybe you should just not click on threads with titles like this? It's your own fault for opening the thread and then listening to the clip, reading all the replies, and then to top it off, posting a reply yourself. I actually like the fact that newcomers to the recording world do what they do on this forum and post every single thing they record so that they can be critiqued, it gives them support, they learn what they are doing wrong and what they are doing right, they learn how to improve their ears so they can become good at a very cool trade. I don't see anything wrong with that. And actually, I wish I had something like the Andy Sneap forum when I was starting out in the recording world, because I had to learn all by myself through trial and error.

~e.a

Hey man badass fuckin riffs really dig the song! but yeah just keep messing around with your sounds from a recording standpoint. but great song writing:headbang:

Just to clarify something, this isnt a recording project, this is just a demo of a song I did for my band ( www.myspace.com/thesafetyfire ) but from some of the posts in this thread Im sure you are angry at the fact im in a band as well...

I would just like to say that i think what Elephant Audio makes some great points, and no real reason to repeat what he said.

Thanks for the comments, it is much appreciated. Anyone using DFHS have any advice on making things sound more realistic and getting things sounding better.

Thanks.

elephant audio you have the wrong idea about me based off what I said. it doesn't bother me that people post asking for advice, critiques, whatever. I'm just saying the more commonplace it gets the less value making music this way seems to have for me, personally. that doesn't mean I'm going to just stop making music because 20 million other people are, it just means I'm going to have to try that extra bit harder to stand out.

ps I didn't mean to offend the original poster or anything, I was just replying to something the guy above me said and it is in no way a critique of your clip.

More realistic? Use the velocity function in your sequencer. You don't have to use 127 for everything, especially on hats and kick drums, even if you use 127, 125, 120, 127, 127, etc. for like a double bass part. DFHS is extremely elaborate with the samples, so even changing just 1 level on the velocity will alter the sound enough.

Also for metal, some people will probably flame me for this - BUT - I like to turn all of the bleeding off. Then when I go to bounce the tracks out, I turn the "slit mic/bleed" to "ON", and you get basically two bounces. One set of tracks that have no bleed at all, and one set with bleed. Then I import the tracks without any bleed and mix the drums from there. You get a much tighter sound. HOWEVER - this is not a good way to learn how to mix drums because in real life you cannot get a zero bleed kit to save your life. So if you just want to make better sounding recordings, do the zero bleed thing, if you want to learn how to mix a "real" kit, use the bleed. When using zero bleed, I use the ambience mic to add a lot of the room sound and bring back the naturalness of the kit. Then on snare, toms, and sometimes OH's I'll put a bit of room verb on them depending on the style of metal.

~e.a

lepersmeesa said:
Thanks for the comments, it is much appreciated. Anyone using DFHS have any advice on making things sound more realistic and getting things sounding better.

Thanks.

Its all in the velocity work. Think like a real drummer and program that way. For example when doing snare roles. A lot of the time one hand will hit harder then the other and/or the opening hit is louder then the middles hits (which increase in velocity) and end with another hard smack. You really have to know about drumming to get really realistic sounds.

02cabc29.jpg

ss2.jpg

tracks.jpg

~e.a

Pic 1: Select that option in the bounce menu.
Pic 2: Select all the wavs that say "close" in them, and your ambience mic to import into your sequencer for mixing
Pic 3: As you can see, the snare, kick, toms, hats, and OH's have no bleed in them.

~e.a

Thanks for the tips guys!

EA: I did that as you have shown when I bounced the audio out. But I couldnt keep the spill of all the seperate audio on my DAW ( pro tools ) so i deleted them all apart from ambience ( spill mics, that is ).

Also with the velocities, I used the random feature on Pro Tools which you can set how random and between which parameters. For example on the bass drum I set the whole thing between 120-125. Then with Snare and others i changed them section by section. I tried making them have a different feel. Maybe Im still doing something wrong.

Thanks for all the advice again!

Don't bother with the random feature in Pro Tools. It will never ever ever ever do as a good as a job as you can do your self. It can't account for all the little things that need to be accounted for. Have you ever played drums before?

I prefer the visual approach myself - though I don't know whether PT has anything like that. You also have to consider that a real drummer will probably put more emphasis on the "one" beats than the others, so I usually make those strong and taper the others off a bit.. ie. ONE and two and three and four and ONE and two.. a randomizer is completely random - real drummers, while having a certain amount of randomness, do have a lot of premeditated control over what beats get the emphasis.

chadsxe said:
Its all in the velocity work. Think like a real drummer and program that way. For example when doing snare roles. A lot of the time one hand will hit harder then the other and/or the opening hit is louder then the middles hits (which increase in velocity) and end with another hard smack. You really have to know about drumming to get really realistic sounds.

You don't need to program them. Here's a very (very :lol: ) secret secret (ehhe):

Set a mic close to a table near you and... drum the table to what you want to program, don't forget to record it! ;) There you go. 100% natural sounding drum roll, with dynamics and everything :) Now, just import it to your DAW and program the MIDI track to do what you just played, and have your hardest hit as reference and adjust the MIDI velocity from that. Also, nudge the MIDI notes off-time to match your real recording.

It takes time, but you'll get as realistic programmed drums as you can get ;)

elephant-audio said:
Pic 1: Select that option in the bounce menu.
Pic 2: Select all the wavs that say "close" in them, and your ambience mic to import into your sequencer for mixing
Pic 3: As you can see, the snare, kick, toms, hats, and OH's have no bleed in them.

~e.a

what is the tomu mic though? always wondered this

cobhc said:
what is the tomu mic though? always wondered this
Tom bottom. It's aivable for sonor toms only If my memory serves me right.
RTFM dude...:p