First Strike Still Deadly VS Originals, Song by Song

Brent

True Believer
Jan 13, 2003
Chicago IL
Just say what you prefer, the original or the remake!

First Strike is Deadly : Original
Into the Pit: Original
Trial by Fire: Remake
Disciples of the Watch: Original
The Preacher: Original
Burnt Offerings: Remake
Over the Wall: Original
The New Order: The Original by a hair
The Haunting: Remake
Alone in the Dark: Original
Reign of Terror: ? ( Never heard Live or RTTAC versions)

Well, it's everyones opinions, but I can't possibly see how anyone can think the remake of The Preacher is better than the original. Your turn..

First Strike Is Deadly: Remake
Into The Pit: Remake
Trial By Fire: both are good
Disciples Of The Watch: Remake
The Preacher: Remake
Over The Wall: Remake
The New Order: both are good
Alone In The Dark: Original
Reign Of Terror: Remake

First Strike Is Deadly: Haven't heard
Trial By Fire: Original
Disciples Of The Watch: Remake
The Preacher: Live version...between the two, not sure
Over The Wall: Haven't heard
The New Order: Original
The Haunting: Haven't heard
Alone In The Dark: Live version (haven't heard original)
Reign Of Terror: Haven't heard

Trial By Fire: Probably the original
Disciples Of The Watch: Return To Apocalyptic City version
The Preacher: Live At The Fillmore version
Over The Wall: Return To Apocalyptic City
The New Order: Either really.
Alone In The Dark: Live At The Fillmore by f'king miles!
Reign Of Terror: Return To Apocalyptic City

Trial By Fire: Remake
Disciples Of The Watch: Original
Over The Wall: Remake
The New Order: Remake
Alone In The Dark: Original
Reign Of Terror: Dunno

Some of the remakes are better, I have to admit, but I can't see how anyone can say The Preacher or Disciples of the Watch are better than their originals.

The original Preacher had that awesome weird riff, Chuck Billy's " THE PPPREEACCHERR", and the lightening speed that made it one of Testament's thrashiest songs ever. The remake however, was much slower, Chuck Billy's high pitched scream was gone, and the riff doesn't sound as cool.

As for Disciples of the Watch, the remake doesn't have that awesome melodic introduction, and the solo is completely different and not as good.

Brent said:
Some of the remakes are better, I have to admit, but I can't see how anyone can say The Preacher or Disciples of the Watch are better than their originals.

The original Preacher had that awesome weird riff, Chuck Billy's " THE PPPREEACCHERR", and the lightening speed that made it one of Testament's thrashiest songs ever. The remake however, was much slower, Chuck Billy's high pitched scream was gone, and the riff doesn't sound as cool.

As for Disciples of the Watch, the remake doesn't have that awesome melodic introduction, and the solo is completely different and not as good.

Look which 2 songs i said "original" on ;)

Brent said:

Actually, I prefer the remake of Disciples. In fact, it's one of the few FSSD remakes I prefer over the original. Chuck Billy has an awesome line on the remake: "OBEY!! Or I'll burn you to that cross!" The distortion is razor sharp, just like all other tracks on FSSD, but especially on this track it really shines. But the most important part that makes me prefer the FSSD version of Disciples is the solo. Alex may not sound quite as good as he used to on that track (still very solid, IMO), but listen to Eric Peterson! The rythm guitar backing up the solo is just otherworldly, and that along with a great solo, and I'm in metal heaven! That part sounds completely different from the original, and it is definitely an improvement, IMO.

As for the other FSSD versions of old classics, they are actually growing on me, one by one. That may be because I've listened to The New Order so much that it's nice to hear new versions (I only bought The Legacy just recently). Also, I think guitar sound and production is very important for a band, and on FSSD the sound and production really shines! Razor sharp distortion, great drum sound and an extremely groovy bass sound. I really hope the next Testament record will sound something like that!

The originals IMO also had stellar production, but in an entirely different way.

Good point....I still prefer the original disciples becasue I just gotta have that intro. Other than that, I do agree that it is one of the better remakes.

I was very impressed with Alex's new jazzy twists on the old solos, with the exception of "Disciples", which was pretty much ruined. I totally cringed when I heard him trying to "rock it out" all bluesy during the lead section, when he pretty much should've been shredding it up like he did on the new version of "Into the Pit". :erk:

I don't think FSSD is faster than the originals -- they all sound a bit slower to me.

Disciples has a much better bass line than the original, especially after CB's "Watch!", just before the solo. I'll take the original's solo, though.

I like the FSSD (mainly because of the production) EXCEPT for the songs Zet sings on....just don't care for his voice with Testament (and yes old schoolers...I realize he was there before Chuck...but I STILL prefer Chuck's voice) Zet needs to stick with Exodus...IMO

MindInsane said:
I like the FSSD (mainly because of the production) EXCEPT for the songs Zet sings on....just don't care for his voice with Testament (and yes old schoolers...I realize he was there before Chuck...but I STILL prefer Chuck's voice) Zet needs to stick with Exodus...IMO

I agree, I really like FSSD due to the production and they just sound tighter. I still the dig the old recordings but the new ones really have a breath of new life and power.

First Strike is Deadly : Original
Into the Pit: Remake
Trial by Fire: Original
Disciples of the Watch: Original
Over the Wall: Remake
The New Order: remake
Alone in the Dark: Original
Reign of Terror: havent heard original.

And the songs are a bit slower, btw.