First thing I've written in a long time - TDWP/TCM-ish - LOTS of automation!

Thanks alot for your help man! I'll definitely try to write a song the next days. :headbang:
What kinda bass did you use to record? At the moment I don't own a bass so I have to live with a pitchshifted guitar, would be cool if you could recommend me a cheap bass!

digging it alot man. mix sounds well balanced. been a fan of your vocals since widek posted his track featuring you. keep up the good work!

nice to hear that! yeah, the song I did with widek turned out great :) thanks!

Jan [MTW];9906268 said:
Thanks alot for your help man! I'll definitely try to write a song the next days. :headbang:
What kinda bass did you use to record? At the moment I don't own a bass so I have to live with a pitchshifted guitar, would be cool if you could recommend me a cheap bass!

no problem! creativity doesn't have a schedule so you shouldn't push it. it just comes to you :)

i used a $100 Sammick bass, real piece of shit. the nut is broken and is held together by duct tape, the strings are 4 years old I think, haha. anything could work.

seriously, I'm not a "bumper", but could someone please tell me how these vocals are sitting? I tried a bunch of new stuff for my vocal chain and I could use some feedback.
I got a bit anxious when this thread stopped getting comments right after I added those vocals :(

I'm mostly concerned about the clean vocals in the chorus, you could skip to 1:50 to check them out.

listening to this again on some earbuds as I'm at work but I think that focus is lost on some of the entrances and the end of the phrases. Don't be afraid to push it alittle harder (especially the last part)! The balance and sense of depth are good. nice presence too!

listening to this again on some earbuds as I'm at work but I think that focus is lost on some of the entrances and the end of the phrases. Don't be afraid to push it alittle harder (especially the last part)! The balance and sense of depth are good. nice presence too!

yeah, I automate the verb and delay mix on almost every phrase so that it builds up towards the end of it and creates some 'life' and feel, like during long screams and stuff I really go overboard with everything because it just sounds so massive! so you think I could raise them in volume?

SD2.0 TMF with the Avatar Toms, Slate Kick 10 + Snare 10&11 with a shitload of room!

Kick - EQ
Snare - EQ -> comp -> drumagog running some slate rooms -> GClip
Toms (for each) - EQ -> Transient Designer -> GClip
Hi-Hat (like anyone cares, haha) - hi-pass at 4k
OH's - EQ (hi-pass at like ~600) -> L2 (for dynamic control whilst retaining the "life") -> another "warmer" EQ for some high-shelving at 12k
Room - comp (Stillwell's The Rocket at like 20:1)

Used a reverb as an FX channel within cubase, which I also sent to nearly everything for a more consistent feel (like the stuffs in the beginning, leads etc). Waves RVerb running a warm plate verb with like 20 ms pre-delay.

dude....this track fucking rules!!! great playing, great voice and fantastic mix/production. top marks!!

quick question....exactly how do you use drumagog in the snare chain to trigger room samples? i've had Slate drums for a little while but still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to how to use them. did you send the slate snares to the room channels within kontakt and then also trigger further room samples using drumagog?

also, did you keep the toms within SD2.0 dry and just use the rverb on the fx channel to add verb?

sorry...one more quick question. is your guitar fitted with EMG's? Cause that tone you've got from the treadplate is fantastic. I've got an SG with passive pickups and can't quite get the same tone so i figured you must be running EMG's?

Love the intro on this man! Any details on that?

just Kontakt running a few different Electro thingies from Evolve and the piano and some pads, all of them go to different outs which I automate the living hell out of, like every parameter, reverb blend, low and hi pass on the eq, panning and volume. then some dubstep wobbles i got from freesound.org

dude....this track fucking rules!!! great playing, great voice and fantastic mix/production. top marks!!

quick question....exactly how do you use drumagog in the snare chain to trigger room samples? i've had Slate drums for a little while but still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to how to use them. did you send the slate snares to the room channels within kontakt and then also trigger further room samples using drumagog?

also, did you keep the toms within SD2.0 dry and just use the rverb on the fx channel to add verb?

sorry...one more quick question. is your guitar fitted with EMG's? Cause that tone you've got from the treadplate is fantastic. I've got an SG with passive pickups and can't quite get the same tone so i figured you must be running EMG's?

thanks for those kind words!

first I replace the snare 100% with drumagog, then use another instance right after it at like a 40% blend with a different snare, then EQ and comp, after the comp i place the z4 (room) of the snare at a fair blend (like 10-20%) and after that i put GClip.

i use no processing within SD2.0, all processing is external. I used alot of the room which helps alot with toms. then some verb, not too much.

yes, my guitar is an LTD EC-500 with EMG 81/60, you got some ears man :)

thanks for the mix info dude!! really appreciate it. haha my ears never fail me :D i really need to get hold of a cheap guitar with some EMG's for when i'm recording more metal stuff. i love my sg's with passive pickups to get a more classic rock or hardcore edged sound but sometimes you just can't beat some EMG's! :D

any chance you could have a listen to a track i've mixed recently and let me know what you think? its quite different in style to your stuff but i can tell from your mix that you know you're stuff so would really appreciate your advice. http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/700428-punk-hardcore-vein-refused.html

cheers!
Jim