first time, doing a "deathcore" band

gabriel g.

Sep 7, 2006
Hamburg
www.myspace.com
hey guys, I´ve recorded a lot of metalcore, hardcore and emo bands but I never did any "deathcore" one.

The session stars at friday and the band said that they wanna have this suicide silence sound.

So I wanna ask if you guys have some cool tips production wise?
I´m using logic 8 and cubas 4. I also have drumagog and the waves platinum bundle.

I think triggering the drums like Hell;) and using some sub-basses on the beatdowns.

but I realy dont know what to do with the vocals. All the bands I did in the past always wanted less effects on the vocals so I only used just a compressor.
But for this one there will be much more needed.

Guitars are not that big problem, but what is with the bass?

thanks for the time and best regards

Hi dude I love Deathcore Bands but I don´t know what you mean when you said "But for this one there will be much more needed." Is for singer? or for the production it self? well I have a deathcore band I do not use much fx for the vocals just a compresor and some reverb here cehl out if you have the time

http://www.mediafire.com/?9cttx1vkqzs

Cheers also if you have an advice for my mix let me know

Well the suicide silence vox sound double tracked but it doesn't sound like much else is going on, the obvious compressor and verb thing for sure. I slight bit of distortion might help out on the vocals although when it comes down to it, if the vocalist doesn't sound like that on his own you're not going to "pro tools" him to sound like that haha. Good luck man.

the vocalist of suicide silence is an awesome shouter.. i'm not sure if he's able to get too close to his voice...

+ to sirscratch01

wont work with effects

1. Keep his hands away from the mic

2. Compress to shit (we're talking like -20db gain reduction)

3. Reverb or short delay (I like delay... seems to be a little more tidy)

Double track and/or distort if he's got a fairly weak voice.

...and Mitch sounds like dicks live imho.

Well the suicide silence vox sound double tracked

I don't think they are doubled, it sounds more like a mono to stereo type effect( i.e. make 2 copies of the original, pan the hard, delay them both a few milliseconds, one a little more then the other, then pitch one up, and one down a few cents). There is also a ton of compression going on (1176 anyone?) and some distortion. I would say keep the reverb pretty low, or maybe use an early reflections patch or something.