first time impulse

Jun 6, 2007
used impulses for the first time tonight, things sound ok just wondering when you's use them, has the guitar your recorded been recorded with distortion on it on clean? if clean how do you get that...................metal sound from the impulse?

wtf? an impulse re-creates the sound of a certain space. or in most situations for metal guitar use, it recreates the sound of a guitar cab. the cab only! (THE SPEAKER) not the distortion, not the amp effects or settings, JUST the speaker movement.

so you need to put your clean DI guitar signal through an amp simulator first...

and on its own it will sound like rape. so you then put it through your impulse of a guitar cab to give it that 'real' amp sound.

make sence?

Could someone please comprehensively explain to me how to use impulses. I mean baby steps. Oh, and do I need to use'em on a VST of some sort or...? And what the fuck are they!? :D I know what they do but that's how far it goes..

PHP:
 	wtf? an impulse re-creates the sound of a certain space. or in most situations for metal guitar use, it recreates the sound of a guitar cab. the cab only! (THE SPEAKER) not the distortion, not the amp effects or settings, JUST the speaker movement.

so you need to put your clean DI guitar signal through an amp simulator first...

and on its own it will sound like rape. so you then put it through your impulse of a guitar cab to give it that 'real' amp sound.

make sence?

when a done what you said which i already knew to do!!! it dont sound that good

used impulses for the first time tonight, things sound ok just wondering when you's use them, has the guitar your recorded been recorded with distortion on it on clean? if clean how do you get that...................metal sound from the impulse?

Yes you need to run your guitar through an amp, pedal, or gain plugin to get the distortion. Then after you record it, you run that signal through the impulse plugin.

when a done what you said which i already knew to do!!! it dont sound that good

lol now this parts the bitch..

it can take FOREVER to get a decent tone using amp sims.
i've been researching it and fiddling for months now.. and i have a pretty good sound.. but its still not quite perfect.. but in my situation its all i can do. (because i dont have guitar amps) but soon i shall be borrowing my mates krank amps.
at some point i could give you some of my signal chains to show you what i do...

but right now i can barely move lol

it would be real good if some other people could put up some of there chains and setting on there guitar tracks (when being re-amped with amp sims)

yeah lol its a pain but am getting there trying to get that nice crunch is hard cause amplitube 2's distortion pedals are shit and thats all a got. Yeah your signal chain would be good what you use to get the distortion?