Impulse accuracy?

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok how inaccurate are impulses to what they are emulating?
If i recorded my pre amp then used a impulse of the box i like, if i bought that box will it sound basically the same?

Let's put it this way...

Several people here have posted clips with impulses and said nothing about it, and nobody has picked up on it yet. Impulses are badass.

Jeff

i understand that guitarhack recorded the cab miked and then with the impulse and the results were minimal...

i was told that the miked amp was maybe a little thicker, but not much

I've never had thickness problems with impulses, if anyone's concerned about that. I can see why the power amp would respond differently to a steady signal but I don't even think that'll come close to being a dealbreaker.

Jeff

I was just thinking this could be a good way to "shop" for a new cab. Try them all then see what one i like the most, then buy that one.

I was just thinking this could be a good way to "shop" for a new cab. Try them all then see what one i like the most, then buy that one.

lol i dont think thats the best way to go about it dude

since miking technique influences the recorded sound soo much that it wouldnt really work for your purpose

:Smokin:

The impulse reproduces the resonance, damping and frequencyresponse of the speaker (and the microphone), but not the compression and distortion.

The impulse reproduces the resonance, damping and frequencyresponse of the speaker (and the microphone), but not the compression and distortion.

+1. They are VERY useful, don't get me wrong, but I think it's the lack of those two domains (distortion mostly) that really rubs me the wrong way about impulses. The difference is slight, but still enough to make a difference in the first place.

Hopefully Nebula by the Acustic Audio guys will improve the situation once their sampler comes out :)