The official impulse archive thread

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
Hi guys,

I have over 3000 impulse response files on my harddrive that I am sorting out and there are so much more impulses out there. Can everybody please post a link to their impulses and include information on them so I can make a huge archive (which will be sorted well) of impulses for myself and all of you of course :p. Of course bass cabinet impulses are welcome as well.

Information that I'd like (only if possible):

Made by:
Power amp section:
Tubes used in power amp section:
Cabinet used:
Speakers in cabinet:
Microphone used:
Microphone position:

I'm also planning a big impulse shootout; but I'd want this to get going first!

Maybe I should sort them by quality as well- but of course quality and sound is subjective.. will have to think about that :)

Rob

Maybe a grade system.. that users can give grades (1-10) to impulses and you can sort all of them by grade etc.
And maybe a small comment/description section per impulse folder..

just letting my mind ramble :p

Here's my second batch (the only one worth having, the first was good only as a learning experience ;)), hopefully the link works this time!

Direct link (right click and save-as)

then let's make this database work :)
I'll host it somewhere as well; so no more dead links on awesome impulses :)

something like this but then online, in a database - well sorted:

example.jpg

I plan on making it an online database where people have a direct link to upload it to my server so I can check them, process them into the database and make it all work :)

I'm still thinking a bit on how to sort them, my thought is like this:

When you start you'll get a page with pictures of cabinets. You click on a picture of the cabinet and the next section opens (= user) etc.

Cabinet
|
User
|
Power amp section
|
Tubes
|
Microphone
|
Microphone position
|
?????

still working on this.. suggestions are welcome! :p

This will be incredible! Sorry to say I have no impulses of my own to offer, but I'm more than willing to help sort out and organize huge batches if you want to delegate here. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

I think what would also be helpful is to have a list of all the good ones.

There are many many many subpar impulses floating around out there and I've only found maybe 2 or 3 packs that are any good amongst them.

I think what would also be helpful is to have a list of all the good ones.

There are many many many subpar impulses floating around out there and I've only found maybe 2 or 3 packs that are any good amongst them.

Ermin, if you are so dissatisfied (as you have pointed out in many many many threads :lol:) with the Impulses that are floating around then maybe you should just buy a cab and mic that instead or (if you want to continue down the Impulse road) just hire a cab (Billy Hydes - https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/hire/index.cfm?action=inventory) and make some of your own with/without Nebula (and maybe even feel free to share them). IMHO Impulses should generally only used as a quick tool to get a good "scratch" sound and not on actual finished productions.

I am not trying to sound like an ass here, it just seems like you are pulling your hair out trying to get a result you are happy with and not getting anywhere. Buy a cab and you will never look back. :headbang:

I would categorize by SPEAKER before cabinet, because lots of peeps switch out speakers!
After selecting the speaker, they can select the cab or the closest one to their cab. ???

I've got some impulses in my sig with notes about the setup included, etc...

Haha, yeah, I'll second that Hack - come on Ermin, used Mesa cabs are all over the place for dirt cheap, what are you waiting for?

Oh wait - you're in Oz. Nevermind then! :devil:

Haha, yeah, I'll second that Hack - come on Ermin, used Mesa cabs are all over the place for dirt cheap, what are you waiting for?

Oh wait - you're in Oz. Nevermind then! :devil:

LOL Marcus, yeah Oz prices :puke:.

I sold my Trad for $1450 (perfect condition of course :saint: which I paid $2300 for New) and bought my
Oversize for $1970. Gotta love the land Downunder. :erk:

Noarin, sorry for the OT. :heh:

Ermin, if you are so dissatisfied (as you have pointed out in many many many threads :lol:) with the Impulses that are floating around then maybe you should just buy a cab and mic that instead or (if you want to continue down the Impulse road) just hire a cab (Billy Hydes - https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/hire/index.cfm?action=inventory) and make some of your own with/without Nebula (and maybe even feel free to share them). IMHO Impulses should generally only used as a quick tool to get a good "scratch" sound and not on actual finished productions.

I am not trying to sound like an ass here, it just seems like you are pulling your hair out trying to get a result you are happy with and not getting anywhere. Buy a cab and you will never look back. :headbang:

I completely agree with you mate. If it were practical for me to mic cabs here I'd be doing it in a heartbeat. I just figure the impulse technology is so damn close, but it needs that final push over the edge.

I've been considering borrowing a cab or two when I get my mic pre done and then experimenting with making my own impulses. If those work out well I'd move over to Nebula and do a set there. I've got no issue with paying for that software as it's widely recognized as the best 'modeling' technology available.

But anyway this thread isn't about all that, so back on topic...

LOL Marcus, yeah Oz prices :puke:.

I sold my Trad for $1450 (perfect condition of course :saint: which I paid $2300 for New) and bought my
Oversize for $1970. Gotta love the land Downunder. :erk:

I don't know the exchange rate, but UGGHHH...I don't know why you guys don't just harass EVERYBODY on ebay to see if they'll ship overseas, cuz observe:

DEAL

DEAL

DEAL

DEAL

And I've seen even better!