Nebula Programs and best impulses yet have arrived! (for real this time :P)

Thanks Marcus, appreciated. Not much more to add here really. I can't wrap my head around why it's happening and since I'm not one of the guys doing the sampling, there's no way to! *cue: giancarlo to the rescue!*

Once again, I'm not willing to agree to this, cuz I've heard a few comparisons between a mic'ed cab and impulses made with the same mic position through the same power amp (and then applied to the preamp signal), most notably by GuitarHack, and the only differences were in the lack of dynamics, especially on palm mutes - tomorrow I'm gonna do my own 3-way comparison between mic'ed cab, impulse, and Nebula program to see once and for all!
did you listen to AE's mic/impulse/neb comparisons?

Hhhmmm, I always think there is a mistake in the chain. When reading Nebula analyzes the kernels up to 5 or more overtones I came to the conclusion, that the problem might just be, that the impulses are made thorugh the distorted channels of the amps. To get the speaker response you would need to send the sine through a mostly linear clean poweramp. Because overtones with distortions behave different.
And with impulses through distorted channels , its like you always have simulated the pre-amp twice. In the impulse response and then again in your chain with a pre-amp or an amp simulation.
So ain't I right when I say you just need to model the speaker with an uncoloured amp to drive it?
Would be nice if someone could try that. Maybe with a hi-fi amplifier ;)

Hhhmmm, I always think there is a mistake in the chain. When reading Nebula analyzes the kernels up to 5 or more overtones I came to the conclusion, that the problem might just be, that the impulses are made thorugh the distorted channels of the amps. To get the speaker response you would need to send the sine through a mostly linear clean poweramp. Because overtones with distortions behave different.
And with impulses through distorted channels , its like you always have simulated the pre-amp twice. In the impulse response and then again in your chain with a pre-amp or an amp simulation.
So ain't I right when I say you just need to model the speaker with an uncoloured amp to drive it?
Would be nice if someone could try that. Maybe with a hi-fi amplifier ;)

The sweeps are not running thought the front end of the amps. They are played through the effects return or the like (ie Power amp only. No preamp. ).

No, actually, I didn't notice he had made some (the thread EXPLODED, so it was hard to keep up!)

well he did a couple.

some sounded the same, while some sounded different...

so I'm afraid its not "once and for all" quite yet. :eek:

No doubt guys! Fin, that sounds fucking great dude, but that's quite the fuckload of reverb on the guitars :lol:

Uh oh - I can't listen very loud or else my parents will slaughter me (I miss my college apartment already :(), but I made another Nebula sample today with the latency at 64 samples rather than 128 to see if that would make a difference, and I think it just might've! Here's a link to the program, check it out guys, I'd really appreciate your thoughts! Also made an impulse of the same setup and I think the lower latency made a difference for the better compared to the others! (which makes sense of course, since the slight delay between the original sine sweep and the one recorded through the whole setup would induce phasing)

And I tried to do a 3-way shootout but the mic'ed version sounded completely different from the preamp into either the impulse or Nebula; I love Rectifiers, but man, they are not the best for capturing impulses! (mostly cuz the power amp has different modes and again that whole "no negative feedback" thing that I always hear about but don't understand :erk: )

wow marcus this it pretty much the best impulse i have now..i have done a good 5 minute shootout between this and my fav impulses! this really has a cool 3d feel to it. :kickass: will try the nebula programs tomorrow

I tried the Nebula program and it definatelly sounds much better than your previous program.
I tried it real quick this morning, but I`ll get to play more after I get home from work.
It leaves a nice first impression as it sounds kind of "mean" :heh:

Awesome Steve, really glad your diggin' it dude! Same Mancha, looking forward to hearing some clipz! Mark, hope you dig it man! :)

i gave them a short test this morning before i went to work. I think the programs still lacked bottom when compared to the impulse.

Of course I had JUST woken up at that point...so i dont know shit.

Clips or it didn`t happen :lol:

Ok, here`s 8505 with latest Nebula program from Marcus

First, the usual Marcus Di's that I love so much :)
http://www.box.net/shared/jrbgbbidc9

...and then, not to be a total lazy ass, something I played myself
http://www.box.net/shared/0cv77l5i0y

All settings are the same on both, except my guitar is Epiphone Joe Perry LP, and I`m not Marcus :)
Comments?

Pretty cool dude, though quite muffled; I assume you were pretty aggressive with an LPF? Ease it up a bit IMO! (I like it ~10k, learn to love the fizz, cuz it cuts so well in a mix!)

Sounds pretty cool, Mancha. I'd be hard pressed to tell that the cab is 'fake'. I should give these a shot. Any chance we could get a top speaker set, Marcus?... preferably with that '1' speaker from your other shoot-out? Hehe.

EDIT: Well I tried it out but for some reason Cubase only exported silence, so I have nothing to show, but unfortunately my tests didn't go well. Had the treble on 8505 all the way down, LPF at 8khz, taking out 4dB at 10k and still too much fizz. Strange.