Help me get Nat 3 and I'll make it worth your while with impulses galore!

SURPRISE SHOOTUT WAT WAT WAT

I've done a shootout of my own. These are NOT going to be as good as Marcus's, but here's what's up:

-Marshall 9100 power amp
-Marshall 1960A cabinet
-Sennheiser MD421U microphone
-Shitty, ugly bedroom

I made these using a short and clean reverb NAT 3 session file, which, for all I know, may not be appropriate for this kind of thing. But, it certainly worked.

The microphone is off axis, but pointed at the center of the speaker. Bottom right speaker. About an inch off. I made the Nebula file in NAT 3, and then did a standard impulse using like 15 seconds of pink noise.

In Cubase, I recorded a JMP-1 preamp signal to three tracks. To the first track, I added KeFIR with the standard impulse, mix knob to 100%. The second track got my Marshall cab impulse, dropped the dry signal slider to -192db, and the FX slider up to +25db. The third track was sent out of my Firestudio and into my power amp, where I then mic'd the JMP playing. A good ol' fashion reamp.

THE RESULTS?

Well, I dunno. I can't tell much of a difference on exported tracks, but when I play with it on monitor (with virtually no latency, by the way), I LOVE the feel of Nebula. You really do feel the sterility of KeFIR by comparison. Which, KeFIR isn't necessarily sterile. So, I'm gonna get more examples.

These examples are basically nothing but shitty palm mutes, so you're gonna get some more diverse material in about five minutes.

-KeFIR
-Nebula 3
-Actual recording

How many tracks of Nebula can you have open with this Marshall cab utilized before your Core 2 Duo E6600 hits an ugly point? About fifteen. Fifteen. If I can do even five tracks of Nebula cab emulation at once, and it sounds better than standard impulses, it's game over for static impulses for me. I am sold.

---

Here's the deal with this, gentlemen. It's a horrible-sounding apartment. I did this without any guidance at all. I'm running a ghetto-ass Presonus Firestudio. There is so much room for improvement and experimentation it's absolutely mind-boggling. So, improving on this is my project for the weekend.

MORE SAMPLES COMING IN A MINUTE, I REALIZE I DID NOT PLAY A GREAT PIECE FOR YOU BUT HEY SHUT UP

Edit: Damn, I was hoping to beat Marcus to it, hahaha.

So, I did a session with a distorted preamp, 10 kernels, the way that Marcus did his. Apart from it being ridiculously quiet (I think the normalization feature did that for some reason), it sounded fair. It wasn't too far off from the clean reverb. But, that said, the clean reverb was definitely a little closer.

I'm going to try distorted reverb in a little while.

Haha, I definitely didn't find the way I did it to be quiet (normalizing by definition should have the exact opposite effect of making it quiet, after all), but I'm thinking choosing the distorted preamp simulation caused it to send signals that would distort the power tubes/speakers as much as possible, hence all the extra harmonic content in mine. Not necessarily accurate compared to the impulse, but not necessarily bad either!

Distorted Reverb was my favorite so far. It sounds the smoothest to me. It's so strange, too. I didn't touch any settings or move the microphone, and I got three different-sounding impulses by using different session files. This is gonna be a bitch to come up with a library.

Oy, I hate too many options! :erk: Have you tried any of the preamp templates? That seems like it'd make more sense for sampling a power amp/cab...

It just makes more sense to me to sample it as a reverb, since I'm not just taking the sound of a speaker into account here. Plus, I haven't actually gotten a single preamp template to do anything other than annoy me as of yet. I like that with the reverb I can choose the level of dry signal and FX signal, essentially calling back to KeFIR's mix knob functionality. I want to be sure I'm getting 100%.