Nebula 3 - The new age of impulses

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Alright, so the time has finally come, I believe, to render our dear impulses obsolete and move onto a new technology that can get us that last bit of tonal quality when modeling cabinets.

What I'm talking about is Acusticaudio's Nebula 3. Software that incorporates their Voltera Kernel technology, which is based around sampling the spectral characteristics of piece of gear/room/whatever, but with the added benefit of modeling distortion and nuance over time. This is one thing that impulses lack, and it's a telltale sign that takes away a lot of the breath and feel of real speaker movement.

http://www.acusticaudio.net/

This technology has come up in the past, but not many showed interest, likely due to a general ignorance about what it is and the implications it actually has for all of us who record guitars.

It's time to take the initiative, and I can't think of a better forum than this to be the forerunner of applying this really exciting new technology to guitar recording.

I would jump at the opportunity to do this, however I don't own any amps or cabs, so I'm not able to. Even if I did, I fear that the cheap I/O chain I have here would not suffice. So here I am, basically imploring the big players with their big amps and big willies to give this a shot and see how it turns up, for the benefit of all!

but with the added benefit of modeling distortion and nuance over time. This is one thing that impulses lack, and it's a telltale sign that takes away a lot of the breath and feel of real speaker movement.

ooOOoo this sounds good to me, this is the only reason i refuse to use impulses, without that air and speaker excursion, i feel impulses are useless, i really dislike the lack of dynamic 'realness' that comes with them.

although, white noise played through a cab to create an impulse just a few seconds long wont be able to replicate exactly how speaker excursion differentiates between chords and chugs and other dynamic changes in air pressure and intensity etc or will there be a new way of recording impulses were by you take many impulses of the same piece of equipment at various volume stages?

hope you guys understand what i'm getting at lol

If any of you guys can hunt down some instructional vids or written instructions on how to create these 'impulses' that would be great. I'd love for this thread to become a compendium for this technology and applying it to modeling cabs.

Unfortunately I don't know much about it myself, so I'm not of much use. As far as I understand it the NAT 3 software does all the necessary things and creates the impulse for you. Whether it's easy to use or not, however, I don't know.

The lack of a Mac version is a hurdle for me as well. I wonder if I can get my Firepod working in Parallels? Otherwise I will have to dual-boot...

Firepod will not work in Parallels. I will have to dual-boot, unfortunately the Mac keyboard I am using is not recognized by the Windows installer CD if I boot from it. I will have to find a cheap PC keyboard, or just wait for a Mac version.

This is amazing technology and I wonder if a larger company *cough* Steinberg *cough* will buy them out and make it cross-platform?

I tried out the free version of Nebula 3 and the modeled compressor on it sounded great! I would love to hear other things that this program does, ESPECIALLY replacing impulses

As would I. I see this as the herald to finally being able to leave cabs out of a recording situation altogether. This increases the practicality of recording professional guitar sounds in home studios a stupid amount..