2nd batch of Nebula samples!

Great, can't wait to play with the whole Nebula thing...just have to wait for Mac version...:erk:
Maybe I will resurrect my old laptop this weekend...

Anyways I like what I'm hearing so far, but keep them clips coming!

I don't know if you guys had seen this, but I did an impulse vs Nebula vs actual cab with my first cab sample. You can find it here -> http://www.myspoonistoobig.net/nebtest2.rar

This is a 1960A and an MD421, off-axis angled at the center. Both the impulse and the Nebula program were created from that location, and applied to the same JMP1 line signal. That JMP1 signal was then sent dry into the same power amp used to make the impulse/program, same mic position. The test is dead accurate, except for some volume curiosities.

This is why I use the clean reverb session files in NAT 3. Where my impulse and program sounded very similar, and then very similar to the actual cab, Marcus's program and impulse differ. I think the distortion sessions that Nebula offers are very cool and DO make for awesome sounds (especially as evidenced by several mixes already heard here). They're just not closer to the 1:1 copy I personally am looking for.

We need more people on this.

abyssofdreams was nice enough to relabel all these for me and I listened blind.

I guessed right on the impulse, but I thought the nebula clip was the real cab :lol:

The differences in your set are very minute. It's interesting to hear how close the two approaches come to the real deal. Though I can't say the tone of even the real cab is up my alley there. If one had asked me to guess which of those clips was digital, I'd have said each one. There's just an overall dull/nasal quality to the tone that would make me think impulses in each case.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. I look forward to Marcus doing the same thing with his rig, so we can all give this a shot and maybe make a poll of it whilst he sneers in the background.

thank you so much for your effort, marcus,
this is something really great happening here!!

the mixes i heard so far sounded amazing, i´m sure that after some testing and getting experience, the creating process of this new nebula impules (Kernels, etc) will getting much smoother.

This is the launch of a new aera in digital cab emulation. :kickass: :headbang:

@Francesco,
thank you also so much for your direct support, do already have thought about a special sneap forum group buy discount for your nebula software?

thanks
exoslime

It's just so cheap, 20 euro for Nebula2 is like a pizza and a beer.

Regarding templates i will try to prepare some sessions only for Cabinet sampling.

your right about Nebula2,its really cheap and affordable!
but i though more on the Nebula3 Version :)))

Regarding the Nebula3 version (80 euro) is not so much if you think of prices of other companies and if you think that with 80 euro you get Nat2, Nebula3 and more than 10 Gigabytes of hardware models. It's all you need to sample and recreate all the cabinets you are looking for.

In addition to that there is the possibility to buy first nebula2 and try it and then if you need Nebula3 you can upgrade paying only the difference (60 euro). I think that this is just a gift.

Regarding the Nebula3 version (80 euro) is not so much if you think of prices of other companies and if you think that with 80 euro you get Nat2, Nebula3 and more than 10 Gigabytes of hardware models. It's all you need to sample and recreate all the cabinets you are looking for.

Sorry for going slightly offtopic here, but is it possible for Nebula to sample a Linear Phase FFT EQ like the Algorithmix PEQ1?

...and will there be an RTAS version anytime? Or should I stick with Nuendo 4 if I want to make Nebula my toolbox?

Sorry for going slightly offtopic here, but is it possible for Nebula to sample a Linear Phase FFT EQ like the Algorithmix PEQ1?

...and will there be an RTAS version anytime? Or should I stick with Nuendo 4 if I want to make Nebula my toolbox?

Yes only using Nat3. With nat3 you can sample also equalisers and compressors both in hardware and software.

Regarding RTAS version it is not even planned, but you can try first the free version of Nebula with VST to RTAS adapter.

In addition to that there is the possibility to buy first nebula2 and try it and then if you need Nebula3 you can upgrade paying only the difference (60 euro). I think that this is just a gift.

your absolutly right, i want say a word about this again ;)
i think its already a fair price, but i wanted to ask before i order it, cause it already happend 2times that i ordered something, and then a week later was given a special account for a group buy ;)
and it seems that here are and willl be alot of customers for nebula, so a group buy thing came across my mind.
anyway, you will recieve my order soon :)

thanks
exoslime

your absolutly right, i want say a word about this again ;)
i think its already a fair price, but i wanted to ask before i order it, cause it already happend 2times that i ordered something, and then a week later was given a special account for a group buy ;)
and it seems that here are and willl be alot of customers for nebula, so a group buy thing came across my mind.
anyway, you will recieve my order soon :)

thanks
exoslime

You're welcome. Let me know if you need support for Nebula or for Nat.

You can sample it. But the real question is why you are going to sample that while thousands dollars analog equalisers are just available at www.nebula-programs.com? Try the DOC fear eq (there is also a free version of it)

The PEQ1 Red eats your machine to the bone at the highest setting. a Quote about the sonic quality:

"Throughout the review process I regularly referred my results using Red back to our standard linear-phase EQ: the outboard Weiss. Given that this box, in its full Dyn/LP version, costs roughly six times as much as Red, I had been expecting the latter to show some slight drop in quality by comparison. In fact, Algorithmix Red equals, and in some ways surpasses, the performance of the Weiss. Bob Katz and I are now working on the second edition of his Mastering Audio, and one of the many new issues to be discussed in that book is this very comparison between Red and the Weiss."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/algorithmix.htm

If the Nebula 3 could recreate that quality at a far lower cpu-demand... :kickass:

...sorry for going offtopic, but it IS kinda exciting...

I'll try to make a comparison soon, though it won't be for a couple of days cuz I'm moving back to school - anyway, I think the most important thing is whether or not these sound good, and the accuracy is secondary - I really liked what I heard with my first back in the other thread, so let's get to gettin', guys! (and yes, I will too with my Recto's preamp :D)

And Francesco very kindly posted a template for sampling a power amp and cab, btw - here's the link! (you have to be registered at the acusticaudio forums and be logged in for it to work)

Ok so I've just done a test with reamping some Peavey 6505 tracks (you'll be familiar with em, Marcus) I've got on hand both through my favourite of Marcus' impulses (SM-57 On Axis 2 More Presence) and through two of the Nebula impulses he put up.

Original impulse: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Nebula/81-impulse.mp3
Marcus' Original Nebula Program: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Nebula/81-nebula-1-orange.mp3
Marcus' Second Set of Nebula Programs, Red Channel: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Nebula/81-nebula-3-red.mp3

The only thing I altered about the Nebula ones when loading in is changing the pad setting to get them to the same level as the normal impulse. They were very low in level.

So I suppose the logical question is, why do the Nebula ones sound so bad? Is it because I'm using Nebula 2? Is there some magical 'dry/wet' setting I'm missing? (hard to tell because the UI is almost completely black and unlabeled).

PS. Here's one with AE's Nebula Program: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Nebula/81-nebula-ae-1960a.mp3

Just wanted to thank you Marcus for taking the lead on this project (and everyone else for contributing). I WAS just going to be content with my favorite impulses, but after hearing some of the tests around here, I decided to jump on the wagon. Some of these clips just have a quality that you can't really put your finger on...but just sounds more "real". Like with impulses, it may take a little time before we get it fully worked out. But from what I'm hearing so far, it's off to a really good start. I can't wait to use these on my own stuff I'm working on.