Nebula Programs and best impulses yet have arrived! (for real this time :P)

I use Waves TS instead of TSS, which may be the reason midrange sounds different. I kind of prefer waves.
Here are the settings, might be helpful
Mancha_Nebula.jpg

Andy`s C4 is at the end of the chain

Sounds pretty cool, Mancha. I'd be hard pressed to tell that the cab is 'fake'. I should give these a shot. Any chance we could get a top speaker set, Marcus?... preferably with that '1' speaker from your other shoot-out? Hehe.

Sure Ermz, I'll make one today before I move 1 back down to the bottom row where it will stay for the rest of time :D

What was running through my mind is... when does Nebula know when to switch from a 'low volume' impulse to a 'high volume' one as we play through it. If for instance the signal levels we are feeding nebula are not what it wants to be seeing, we could be constantly using the 'low volume' impulses, and given that those would have a relatively higher noise floor, it could explain the fizz (in some contrived, arse-backwards ermz logic way).

I still can't reconcile the idea that AE had such a similar result to his real cab with Marcus having an audibly different one. What are the factors at play here that could be affecting the outcome? Impulse offset? Converters? Amp hum? Test tone level? Methinks the developers are welcome to chip in on that one.

Yes, even I'm not so theoretically oriented I'd also like read developers thoughts about all this.

And at the mean time :) ...a Finnish amp guru Tapio M. Köykkä once (April 1979 Interview) said about measuring amps - (excuse my translation):

"For an amp measurement you should not only to use a continuous sine signal, as it does not contain any information. Information is a change, the frequency or amplitude changes. Measuring an amplifier with sine wave is like testing a camera by taking shots of pure white cloth! Of course the camera is wrong, if the edges of the image are darker than the center, but the contrast and color reproduction, we do not know anything, when the picture contains any information"

"I have a German study, which says that in music over 3500 hertz frequencies there is no sine tone at all, but all the musical content of these bands are made up of sharp "spikes". Similar spikes are obtained when we derive a square wave."

...and:

"Köykkä does not agree at all that old jargon that the speakers are the weakest link in the playback chain. He argues the opposite:

Considering the whole sound chain the speaker is causing least distortion...(snipped)...they're amplifiers which broke transients and that's what ear detects."

...oh, this is fun:

"Music, just like speaking, is information that consists of changes. For example, the piano sound contains strong beginning transient and then it declines. Beginning transient is a powerful change. That is why I think the percussion instruments in greater value than, for example, (urkuharmooni?), or even organs. We get a clear picture of the importance of this beginning transient when we play backwards a tape which contains piano playing. It does not sound any longer piano, but instead bad harp playing!

And another strange observation: even the tape still has that same piano recording and the acoustic energy coming to the room stays same (as we don't touch the volume slider) that backwards played music sounds weak. It has no longer the strenght and power of the piano or grand piano."

Oh yeah...chugga chugga test signal demands for giancarlo! :heh:

sounds so good... i just can't load the programs in nebula dunno why... the n2p and the n2v files are just side by side with the "init files" and even checked the xml's and everything's on it's place... but they won't show on the plugin T____T

When did you install Nebula? Try downloading it and installing it again, that fixed the problem for me and a few others!

really sorry man ;__; dunno where i've read "free programs" for nebula, maybe on yer other thread, and... i got nebula 2 a while ago, i was just thinking everyone was using the free version, so i wanted to be... "ontopic"... x__x i'll give it a try and post, thanks for the programs man!

I use Waves TS instead of TSS, which may be the reason midrange sounds different. I kind of prefer waves.
Here are the settings, might be helpful
Mancha_Nebula.jpg

Andy`s C4 is at the end of the chain

No offence, but that lpf is funny.
and hi-pass at 106hz is way too much for the tone you're aiming for. try 60 or 80 instead.

What was running through my mind is... when does Nebula know when to switch from a 'low volume' impulse to a 'high volume' one as we play through it.

This is what I was getting at. To be truly dynamic, Nebula would have to have some way of averaging between two volumes - otherwise it's just a series of discrete impulses and there'd be noticeable jumps from one to another when the input volume changed (which no one has mentioned). I'm guessing that's the principle of the Liquidity control; to change how smooth the transitions are.

The thing that strikes me is that if you're sampling a hardware unit, the output is fairly predictable regardless of volume - but with a cab you're talking about a moving membrane, so the way it reacts at one volume can be completely different to another. We all know that the best tone normally only comes once the speaker starts really moving - and I'm pretty sure it's frequency response must change noticeably at that point.

In guitar cabs, low volumes tend to have less bass - the drivers just don't seem to recreate low frequencies well unless they're pushed. So if Nebula is averaging between a low volume impulse and a high volume impulse, you could get left with an unrealistic average low-end.

AE has proved nebula works, I can't understand the doubt.

Because AE getting it to work once is essentially useless unless the results can be reproduced. Doing it once isn't proof.

Metaltastic - what's the latency you're talking about? I thought you were just recording the cabbed-up test tone? Latency can always be an issue, though if it's only the low-end being affected it seems unlikely.

One thing that might be worth trying is running the test tone through an EQ before going into the poweramp - cut everything above say 1kHz, so you're only recording the bass and low-mids. Make an impulse and a Nebula program from that, and see if they match up then.

Steve

I've finally got a copy of the test tones, so I'll pass that over to poidaobi and some others in the hopes of getting more of these programs circulating and more people interested.

I'd be interested in trying them out. My mic'ing isn't up to much and my cab is horrible, but I'm happy to try things out in terms of getting the impulses and programs to sound the same - and I don't have much in the way of time or volume constraints at the moment.

Steve

This is what I was getting at. To be truly dynamic, Nebula would have to have some way of averaging between two volumes - otherwise it's just a series of discrete impulses and there'd be noticeable jumps from one to another when the input volume changed (which no one has mentioned). I'm guessing that's the principle of the Liquidity control; to change how smooth the transitions are.

The thing that strikes me is that if you're sampling a hardware unit, the output is fairly predictable regardless of volume - but with a cab you're talking about a moving membrane, so the way it reacts at one volume can be completely different to another. We all know that the best tone normally only comes once the speaker starts really moving - and I'm pretty sure it's frequency response must change noticeably at that point.

In guitar cabs, low volumes tend to have less bass - the drivers just don't seem to recreate low frequencies well unless they're pushed. So if Nebula is averaging between a low volume impulse and a high volume impulse, you could get left with an unrealistic average low-end.

That is a very very good point.

Here are the test tones for you all the same: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Forum/cs2testtone.wav

We really need giancarlo to come in and tell us whether what you elaborated on above is a likely scenario. It's the only hypothesis that would adequately explain what's going on.

As I don't have any equipment to contribute to this, I'm hoping others (like you and anyone else) gets interested enough to try this...and I thank everyone for their input and contributions. However, I think the goal to...

...getting the impulses and programs to sound the same...

...is not accurate. The goal is to get the programs as close as possible to the actual cab sound. Comparing to impulses is a useful and interesting side bar...but not the goal.

Again, thanks to everyone staying involved in this. :worship: Let's keep the ball rolling! :kickass:

Metaltastic - what's the latency you're talking about? I thought you were just recording the cabbed-up test tone? Latency can always be an issue, though if it's only the low-end being affected it seems unlikely.

One thing that might be worth trying is running the test tone through an EQ before going into the poweramp - cut everything above say 1kHz, so you're only recording the bass and low-mids. Make an impulse and a Nebula program from that, and see if they match up then.

Steve

Latency meaning the latency of my audio interface (specifically DA/AD converters), cuz the sweep has to be converted to analog, sent through the whole chain, then digitized again when it's mic'ed up. Thus, phasing when the deconvolution process compares the original test tone with the one that's gone through everything. NAT (the Nebula sampling program) automatically compensates for this, but since I'm just sending a .wav sweep file through everything and then sending it to AE to deconvolve, there's no adjustment. But 64 samples is pretty fucking low!

And Ermz, I made two samples and two impulses with V30 1 in the top position btw; I'll upload them shortly! :)