Nebula Programs and best impulses yet have arrived! (for real this time :P)

I would do a test clip with these, but I don't have the paid version of Nebula 3, would be nice if AE could make free programs from your recordings Marcus.

Cant seem to get Nebula 2 (paid) to load these particular ones. I did as usual, 1 file in the progs one in the vectors but no loady. Im pretty knackered tho and i think Ermz has nebula 2 as well so maybe its just me being a nooob :p

I just did a test loading Aternus's impulses and they loaded no problem.

Kev, I was having problems as well. But after upgrading to the newest version (don't recall the number....check the official site) it loaded Marcus' programs just fine. Give that a shot if you haven't already.

Neb 2 loaded them fine, but I did a clean install of the newest version.

If you don't mind me asking, Marcus, where was the mic pointed for these impulses/programs? If I get some time today I'll try to do a comparison between the two.

Thanks for the advice Mark & Ermz. Updation did the trick. I must say, im very much more pleased this time around, as one of the below clips has a touch more depth and body to it.

Heres a clip for you, and im going to be cruel im afraid and not tell you which one is which :lol:

Stream away to my shitty riffage:

http://maiden.sqweebs.com/NebulavsImpulse.mp3

P.S Apologies if EQ isnt to taste, Bass 3pm middle 12pm Treble 3pm. Post gain 6. (and a smidge of help from the little green bastard)

I'm sad to say once again Nebula doesn't sound like it is being played through a cab.
I can't put my finger on it, just feels weird, more dynamic yes...more natural sounding no...

The impulse does. Plus the Nebula clips have less lowend and a harsher top.

I'm sad to say once again Nebula doesn't sound like it is being played through a cab.
I can't put my finger on it, just feels weird, more dynamic yes...more natural sounding no...

The impulse does. Plus the Nebula clips have less lowend and a harsher top.

Yes, but I don't fucking get it!

AE's comparisons didn't have this quality to them. His ones sounded as good, if not better than the real cab, and certainly not any more fizzy! It just makes no sense. This is some debugging issue or other best suited to the developers to suss out, not a group of users that have no idea about the internal workings of NAT.

AE's comparisons didn't have this quality to them. His ones sounded as good, if not better than the real cab, and certainly not any more fizzy! It just makes no sense. This is some debugging issue or other best suited to the developers to suss out, not a group of users that have no idea about the internal workings of NAT.

Indeed mate. I fear we shall be with impulses for a little while longer :)

That's because there's nothing to get.

The reason I have programs that match juuuust about 1:1 with cabinets is because I've spent countless hours pinpointing tiny differences in the most insignificant of comparison tests. I know that amp hum translates to less low end in your program, which can be heard as "more fizz," but really it just means it has the right amount of fizz, completely true to the cab/mic position/preamp volume, and no low end. I deny the assertion that these programs are more fizzy. Instead, I re-assert that they're accurate. This isn't a problem for the developers or debuggers. This is a problem with sampling and learning the habits of Nebula.

1 cm from the cab probably gave Marcus a bit of the speaker hum I used to have. I know, because I've done that. I've been on the grill, 1/2 cm away, 1 cm away, 2 cm away, 1 inch away, 2 inches away, 5 inches away, 2 feet away, etc etc. This hum is present with my 9100, the Blue Voodoo, the 5150, and if I'm correct, Marcus's amp. 1 cm from the cab = less low end with Nebula, probably because it isn't designed to re-create a noise floor. I'd be willing to wager it negates it. So, less low end plus dynamics and true-to-life SM57 characteristics = fizzy sound.

It may even be fixable with a solid state power amp. Maybe it's just hum from roaring power tubes. Regardless, we'll find a way to kill it. In my tests, the Marshall vs the Crate vs the 5150 didn't yield any difference besides a little bit of EQ, and since Nebula can't do tube saturation just yet, I'm more than tempted to test this with a clean solid state power amp. In fact, that's my next order of business.

So, to recap. The problem that we have here: Impulses sound less fizzy than the Nebula program. The thing that people are overlooking: The Nebula program sounds like the real cab, and the impulse sounds fake, static, and inaccurate. Using, creating, or even concerning ourselves with impulses is counter-productive because they can not and will not ever sound like a real cabinet. We need to be comparing to real cabinets now, and we need to do it by reamplifying a tone through both real cabinet and the matching Nebula program. Have some faith, guys. I do, and look how far it has gotten us? It took us how many years since the first impulse to get to the Awesometime apex? If it's gonna take us that long to get there with Nebula, it's worth it to me.

We don't have a real cab recording to match Marcus's programs with, so I can see where it would be hard to take my assertions as truth. But, I honestly don't care, because I've been there and done it and came out with this result. I would love to be proven wrong. I have a complete trust that Nebula's capable of doing exactly what we need, and until that can be denied with some solid proof, then I'm gonna keep on keepin' on, and I'm positive Marcus will be doing the same.

We have dynamics and a true-to-life sound, guys. I mean, seriously.

I haven't given up on Nebula yet AE. In fact, I'm still psyched about the results so far. I'm still wanting to hear some programs made with the help of some of our other impulse gurus around here. While Marcus' impulses are great for certain things, they're not quite voiced for what I'm working on currently. So I'm hoping some of the others around here will step in and contribute as well. Then we can do some real comparison/judging of this. I'd help out with this, but I've nothing to contribute with (no cabs, not even an amp or preamp these days...strictly ITB (in the box) these days.

WHOA.

I just listened to Marcus's raw sweep recordings versus my own.

There's no way it's the hum for him, because mine are HOOOORRIBLE. But there's still something going on. Maybe it's the volume. Mine are about a hundred times louder.