First time I've ever actually mixed a song that I didn't record. Before and After...

Scissors61

Jul 18, 2007
Brighton, UK
www.myspace.com
Basically a dude I know just joined a new band and asked me to record just vocals for one of their songs. So they sent me all of the instrumental tracks over, and unfortunately none of them were exactly perfect. Not really the band's fault, but they were fairly badly recorded (IMHO).

So I basically had a fairly long day of editing the shit out of the drums and bass, re-playing the guitar myself (shhhh :p) and finally recording vocals...

My mix still needs tweaking quite a lot...

Just wanted to get some opinions :)

Original version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2069725/Abyss Original Mix.mp3

My version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2069725/Abyss New Mix.mp3

Cheeeeeers! :)

I tracked this. I agree, it's badly recorded and I let tonnnssssss of mistakes slip. In my defence it was ultra rushed because we thought it would have to be done in a day. I didn't expect to not be mixing this one either untill a day before you recieved the files, so it was really unorganised and poorly set up, so again for that I appolagise.

Your final mix sounds very good though, all things considered :)

Joe

Dude I'm really sorry I didn't mean this as a personal attack on you at all! I've heard plenty of fucking sweet stuff from you before. Feel like an absolute dick head now!

In actual fact I was just really trying to be polite about the band, but fuck it, the majority of the problem was actually with the poor intonation of the instruments, and slightly sloppy playing.

Please don't hate me man :( *love love*

Also I thought the files were actually pretty organised man, I was kinda expecting it to be a bit of a nightmare, as I didn't know who they'd recorded with and you can never fucking trust people outside of the Sneap Forum to get things done can you :p

Also just to stress, I still mixed the "original" one, just the band asked for completely un-EQd everything with vocals over the top. I'm sure if Joe had actually done a full mix it would've sounded a fuck-ton better.

Dude I'm really sorry I didn't mean this as a personal attack on you at all! I've heard plenty of fucking sweet stuff from you before. Feel like an absolute dick head now!

In actual fact I was just really trying to be polite about the band, but fuck it, the majority of the problem was actually with the poor intonation of the instruments, and slightly sloppy playing.

Please don't hate me man :( *love love*

Also I thought the files were actually pretty organised man, I was kinda expecting it to be a bit of a nightmare, as I didn't know who they'd recorded with and you can never fucking trust people outside of the Sneap Forum to get things done can you :p

Also just to stress, I still mixed the "original" one, just the band asked for completely un-EQd everything with vocals over the top. I'm sure if Joe had actually done a full mix it would've sounded a fuck-ton better.

Haha don't worry, I didn't take it badly at all and I don't hate you haha. Intonation, god damn it, we tried everything but a yamaha pacifica is not designed to go into F# tuning :lol: I still feel annoyed at not going back and correcting mistakes because if it was me mixing it I know I'd get to the mistakes and be like FUUUUUUU should have sorted that shit out.

Joe

Haha, yeah I know the feeling man. The amount of bands I've tracked and ended up running out of time at the end and just settling for bad takes then having to spend stupid amounts of extra time correcting shit.

Life's a bitch :lol:

On the pumping thing this isn't going to be the final mix. Just ran it through a quick mastering preset that I have just to get it sounding loud-ish. But cheers, I shall address zee problem :)
Other than that it sounded really good to me. If you take out the excessive pumping, please post it back, I'd love to listen to it again