First Time Mixing All Real Instruments

iraobryan

Jul 7, 2009
This is my first post in a while. I recently recorded the first song my band wrote (about 4 years ago). There are no amp sims, drum samples, or timing edits. I wanted to post the mix to see what everyone thinks. If you would like any info, ask and I will try to recall details. Please excuse the half ass mastering job.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3413585/One Life Master 4.mp3

Edit: Here is a link to another version of the mix. This mix is using ampsims and a sample of the snare from the session.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3413585/One Life DigitalVersion 2.wav

Edit: I think the drums sound better? Still amp sims until I get the 16 track here, and vox are just there for reference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3413585/One Life DigitalVersion4.wav

I recorded the snare with an SM57 on the top, but there were some complications. I recorded drums to tape, and had to commit to levels before reaming was done. I turned the snare verb track up so the snare could be heard. It drives me crazy knowing it's not right, but live and learn i guess :)

Thanks for the feedback!

might be a little too much bass buildup, but my monitoring conditions tend to do that. Besides that, the snare does sound like Overheads are overpowering the close mic´d track, but you already explained why. I don´t understand though, was it really done in tape, or is it just an expression? Vocals sound a bit too raw too, the cleans could use some more reverb and probably compression IMO

The drums were actually recorded to tape. I had to bounce down to a stereo drum mix earlier than I wanted to and lost some much needed control of the snare and kick. Actually everything went to tape by mixdown time, thats why I had to bounce tracks. I wanted to try an analog mix, just to see what it was like. I ended up using analog compression, but verb from the computer for the clean vox. This will be remixed soon though.

Oh yeah, and there is some bass build up due to lack of outboard eq, and a shitty mixing room. Both are being addressed for the next mix.

You should sample the snare used and try to make it sound as good as possible and then replace it. Yeah, it's not "real" but it'll sound sick if done well.

I did record some samples of the kit, I haven't edited them yet. When I tried, I was having trouble getting the length of the sample right, or I think that is what the problem was. I am moving all the gear to my regular mixing room, and will be attempting to address the issues you guys have been kind enough to point out. Know of any good sample making tutorials?

There's nothing to it really. Just press record and hit the snare maybe 4 times with enough space in between so that it rings out completely. I use drumagog to trigger them. You can find a tutorial for that easily.

I recorded the hits and was trying to edit to single hits and use Aptrigga. I think I just cut the tail off the hits. I'm definitely going to look at it again. I think I just fell in love with the idea of no triggered samples. At least they will be samples of the actual kit.

I'm pretty weak on vocal processing. Anyone have any suggestions for verb type, or delay for clean vox on this track?

I added a link to the original post. This mix has no mastering or vox. I used ampsims since I don't have the reel to reel here. I'm trying to improve the snare based on feedback from the first mix. For this version I used a sample of the snare from the recording session. Tell me what you think.

The snare sounds WAYYYY better, but now you need to bring it down a bit. It's the loudest part of the whole mix. The guitars also sounds really thin in the new mix, probably because you went with the amp sim. Use the tracks you have on the first one. It'll sound a lot better.

Thanks for the feedback! I realized how loud the snare was after I posted the mix. I guess I was so focused on it I hadn't noticed. I have to bring the 16 track here and get those guitar tracks transfered.