first time quad tracking review...

Arsenu,

Oct 30, 2008
hey there!

i'm recording a new song and iv'e decided to go quad for the first time.
since iv'e got almost no clue about what's "right" and "wrong" here i need your help!

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Mixes/Guitar Draft.mp3?w=7fd1759d

this is the first draft, only drums (BFD2) and 4 guitars panned:

1 gtr 100R
1 gtr 80R
2 gtr 80L
2 gtr 100L

i'd really love some to hear so reviews\critique about the sound!

tnx anyway, Shay

Hi,

I can't crank it up as much as I'd like to ATM (3 AM...), but it seems to me you've dialed the exact same sound for all 4 gtrs, right? If so, I see no point in quad-tracking - it makes little difference but sounding just louder. You could've panned 2 gtrs 90% left and right, turn them up and the effect would be the same, IMHO.

Quad-tracking is more difficult as well - you have to be a damn consistent player. Unfortunately, there are some issues w/ tightness on your recording. Sorry!

I like double miking my cab, possibly with different mikes. For the second pass - the other channel - I change the EQ of both mikes a bit (I might also vary the tracks processing while mixing) and I end up with 4 tracks of diverse sounding tracks - say, sm57 (EQ1, 100% L), AKG (EQ1, 88% L), AKG (EQ2, 88% R), sm57 (EQ2, 100% R).

If you're recording w/ software amp simulators, there may be a way to split a signal or just copy it and post-process it.

You could've panned 2 gtrs 90% left and right, turn them up and the effect would be the same, IMHO.

if you take a look at polka, there is 2 trumpets playing at the same time,
which gives a totally different feel than just one guy blowing out his lungs ;-)
the slight chorus and phasing issues are highly pleasing to the human ear,
and gives a totally different "timbre".

multitracking a part is exactly the opposite, you can actually turn something
down after multitracking it, and it will still have a great presence in the mix.

the crucial part here is editing. if the player is not tight enough,
go edit edit edit. your goal is to achieve a colourful rich signnal, consisting of 4 tracks but actually sounding like only 1 guitar.

tnx everyone!

i'll try to mix each guitar differently and see how that goes.....

your goal is to achieve a colourful rich signnal, consisting of 4 tracks but actually sounding like only 1 guitar

We have different goals :)

IMO, there's more to having two gtrs in a band than just laying a rhythm part underneath a solo. Even in metal. Hence, utilizing an identical but quadrupled guitar yields little richness. But that's just me. I'd rather have two varied guitar parts than 4 of one kind.

But we're hijacking the thread - sorry!