Five Former Members Of In Flames Unite In The Halo Effect

Wonder if Daniel has called Tanner for some tips on how to improve as a drummer?

I think Tanner shouldn’t help Daniel improving before THE become a real band and have at least 5 albums released.

Decent songs, no surprises, along the same lines as Days of the Lost. I would like to see some heavier and faster songs though. And I also they mix the new recordings more like Foregone.

100% agree

Last edited:
Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Decent songs, no surprises, along the same lines as Days of the Lost. I would like to see some heavier and faster songs though. And I also they mix the new recordings more like Foregone.

Agree on heavier and faster part. A little bit of that old 90s fire wouldn't hurt anybody.

But please no Foregone mix.

If Stanne worked with Benson, Stanne could be the next Bruno Mars. He should totally do it. At this point THE should seriously record with Benson to troll Anders.

Reactions: Xpyro125
If Stanne worked with Benson, Stanne could be the next Bruno Mars. He should totally do it. At this point THE should seriously record with Benson to troll Anders.
Interesting idea. This could start a rivalry between Benson and Anders and then they might get a different producer for their next album. This would be at the expense of a THE album though.

I like The Defiant One well enough. I'll have to listen to it a few more times, but I find it to be on par with DOTL's weaker stuff (Which I still quite liked, in fairness). Something about Become Surrender hits really nicely though, particularly in the chorus. It's pretty bouncy, and I quite like that. It's a different feel from everything else from DOTL, even if it's not anything new whatsoever.

What I mostly mind about these two new songs is the insistence on very simple rock beats that with high hats give almost a dance music vibe. This should really utilize a bit more aggressive approach to drums but whatever. Waiting for a proper recording, if its good great, if it's not it really doesn't stress me much. They are doing this for fun.

I feel like that works a lot better for Become Surrender than The Defiant One. The latter should've had more aggressive drumming, but it works well enough for Become Surrender to me.

I'm not sure about the EP. First, they said that it was to he released by the end of the past year. Now, we have not even seen them recording at the studio.

Maybe, this is just a thought, they have decided to make the EP from the discards. I think that there were around 17 so GS that they recorded for DOTL.

The chorus from Become Surrender is too similar to In Broken Trust. So it would make sense to not include both in the album.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the last part. That being said, IBT's chorus was fucking disappointing, so Become Surrender feels that much better.

Hopefully they are just songs from DotL that didn't make the cut. Could still be put on the EP though, for sure.

I'm far more pissed off that they never released the acoustic stuff. I see no reason why they wouldn't. I really hope it's on the EP but at this point it seems like they just aren't interested in releasing it, for whatever reason.

Real shit, man. The acoustic stuff is that little bit I want aside from some more progressive songwriting.

Daniel said in an interview last fall that the plan is to release the EP before summer, prior to summer festivals/their own headlining tour. My guess is that the EP will have couple of leftovers from the album and hopefully couple of ”new” songs also.

Oh shit, that sounds awesome.

Now that's something I want to see happen.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
As you know Stanne writes far more intelligent lyrics than Anders, but if Benson produces, will he also be shouting stupid chants like "Scream out loud! This is our house!"

Well, that's not gonna happen.
They have yet to release five albums, so they're not worth Benson's time to deal with.

I heard Anders created the ultra-secret, underground "Five Albums Society". Basically a group of highly influential music legends who make sure that bands with less than five albums are kept in their place at the bottom of the food chain. Now that I've revealed their existence I may not have much longer left in this world, but sometimes you have to be brave.

What's with the press asking if RTR was a main influence? Did they even listen to RTR or DotL?

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah I don't get the obsession with asking about Reroute either. Why that album specifically? DotL sounds nothing like it anyway.

Reactions: eochaid
Well, these are the same people who are reviewing Battles or SC and write something like: "a return to the form, classic trademark dual guitars death metal In Flames..."

It's just an obsession to look into the past for references. People tends to think of history as a continuous. So, they feel safe when they have something, in the past, that they can hold on to. But, THE sounds nothing like anything that they did before. Yes, the elements are there but the final mix is different. It stands on its own.