Fixed bridges

Leandro

¬¬
Jul 31, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I gave up being 14. To people who used them a bit more than me, what are your impressions (brands, kinds, etc.) regarding different fixed bridges? Which hold tuning better? Which sound better?

That's all, thanks.

Personally I always prefer the combination of a Tune-O-Matic (invented by Gibson but now found on almost all fixed bridge guitars of that type) bridge piece with a string through body.

I don't know if the tuning stability differs to other fixed bridge types. But the sustain is definatley increased.

I've had floyd rose for like 6 years. Never actually used them, and I don't want the fuss retuning, restringing, adjusting etc. So, fixed for me.

Any other difference in sound with the string through body configuration other than sustain?

Not sure, I suppose it could be argued that due to the strings vibrating through the body more, the wood type of the guitar could colour the tone more.

Oh and I've just noticed that some guitars with a tune-o-matic that have a stop-piece have also been listed as "string through" before. I have no idea why but just for visual clarification (although you probably already know what i meant) I mean this type:
800px-Bridge_string_thru_body.jpg

Also the tune-o-matic bridge makes lowering or raising the action height incredibly easy (the two thumb rings attached to the routing poles of the tune-o-matic, just twist them to adjust it)

Nice Schecter Swabs.

Personally I find Tune-O-Matic bridges to be uncomfortable in comparison to the low fixed bridges/floyd bridges, and since my main guitar currently has a Tune-O-Matic I'm quite certain it's not just because I'm not used to it. I find having the bridge closer to the body makes it easier to have access to all strings when picking quickly, especially if you're using a lot of quick changes between palm muted/unmuted.

Just my two cents

I like the Ibanez fixed bridges (Can't find a good pic of one particularly). I have them on my RG 7321 and my RG 7621, they are very comfortable. I have a tune o matic on my jackson slsmg soloist which I don't like as much but it is no hassle to me at all either. I've never really owned a floyd rose-bridged guitar long enough to compare sustain and what not but I just love the simplicity (sp?) of fixed bridges

I have to say that i like the look and feel of the strat type fixed bridge, like on this Ibanez PGM. Otherwise i don't care to much, you can easily get ajusted to anything.

Ibz%20PGM301.50.jpg

I can't say as I've never used one. But just based on the fact that it's essentially a variation of the tune-o-matic and that Schaller generally are a quality company. It should be alright :p

i think he is refering to the position of the bridge on the guitar- ie, it's more central. I'm just guessing though, could be retarded though..

Right. I've tried MOSTLY all types of bridges, Telecaster, Wilkinsons, Stringthru tuneomatic, stoptail, OFR and LFR and probably some other aswell. Out of all those, i prefer the following two:

Schaller Floyd Rose (LFR)
Stringthru TUne-o-Matic

those are the ones i use the most, that and telecaster, but telecasters are used on telecasters(surprise surprise), so you wont really need, or use one of those unless you have one.

So i would recommend a Schaller/Gotoh/any otehr nonweird brand Tune-O-Matic Stringthru bridge, terms of sound atleast. I believe it was mentioned before the reason why.

If you want tuning stability though, you might want to get a doublelocking fixed bridge, i think Ibanez have them, and probably some other brands too.