Flash Forward

I've never read the book, and it's unlikely I ever will, so I won't have to worry about those comparisons. According to what I've read, Flash Forward is merely based on the book though, it was never intended to be an actual adaptation of the novel. The previews and reviews suggest its the kind of show I'd like (I like Lost, for example). However, these days I'm skeptical about starting to watch any new drama right from the start, because networks often have a hair trigger about canceling them if they don't meet some lofty ratings expectations. If the show catches on and does well enough to last at least a full season or two, I'll start watching. As for Fringe, it's a decent show, but "best show ever"? Uh... no. :) Actually, I thought Fringe ended pretty strong last year and was looking forward to seeing how they would continue the story they left hanging at the end of the season... so I was a bit disappointed that they used the age-old amnesia cliche to sorta hit the reset button in some ways, and continue doing "freak of the week" episodes. Oh well, I'll keep watching for now... I knew from the start anyway that Fringe was not supposed to be as intensely arc-oriented as my favorite shows like Lost, Heroes, and 24.

I never read the book either. I liked the first episode of Flash Forward but find it hard to wait a week for the next one, as I may not remember where we left off. If you really like to be tripped out by these kind of shows, watch the 13 episodes of Day Break at IMDB from beginning to end.

I really liked it. It could end up being a good series.

Never watched Lost. Stopped watching Heroes after the first season.

Fringe is entertaining, but not even a great show. It's actually pretty lame, but still entertaining.

We just started recording Dollhouse too this year. The first show we watched was a kind of a love/hate thing. The stories about the characters were interesting and well done. However, the part where they were going after the bad guy was incredibly lame and weak. It kind of reminds me of Saving Grace. In Saving Grace, the mystery part of the show takes a back seat to what is going on with the characters' personal lives, and is also weak, just like Dollhouse. However, in Saving Grace it isn't complete rubbish, where it seems to be in Dollhouse.

We just started recording Dollhouse too this year. The first show we watched was a kind of a love/hate thing. The stories about the characters were interesting and well done. However, the part where they were going after the bad guy was incredibly lame and weak.

The first episode was by far the worst episode of Dollhouse. The second episode was a huge improvement, and it gets better in the episodes that follow. The first 4-5 episodes are all about setting a "status quo", sort of like "Here's what our actives do on routine missions." Starting in roughly episode 5, the actives begin to develop personalities of their own, and the story arcs start to become more important.

I was having a conversation with Su about this... I think what's missing from Dollhouse for many Joss Whedon fans is the witty dialogue. This is the first "serious" show he's done, and the best episodes, by far, are the ones with the most funny dialogue and comedic acting. When I proclaimed Dollhouse as my favorite show, it was right after seeing the college campus episode, and the two episodes with Alan Tudyk in them (the last two of Season 1). These are incredible episodes. I like the show in "serious" mode, and I love it in "witty" mode. In "serious" mode, it's pretty much just another action-drama, with decent characters. I didn't think the omission of witty dialogue would make such a big difference, but it clearly does.

I thought the season premiere was a bit of a letdown after the finale last season (see "just another action-drama"), but I like where they seem to be going with Dr. Saunders' character, as well as the Paul Ballard/"Echo" angle. I'll be interested to see what they do with Alexis Denisof's (the senator) character. I hope they haven't abandoned the "Alpha" story arc.

We have to find the first season somewhere.

I would *strongly* recommend starting at the beginning if you decide to watch Dollhouse. Despite each show having different "missions" and such, it's a very arc-oriented show. You will miss a lot of the subtext of what is going on, and not enjoy it nearly as much if you don't start from the beginning. The first season is out on home video, and floating around online many places too, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Ok, I can say in all honesty I have not even turned on my TV in over a year until about a week ago. However, after moving, I was able to get my converter boxes to work. I've tried watching Fringe- got lost 5 minutes into it. Lost- yeah, so am I. 24- 24 what? My name is Earl? Nice to meet you I'm MetalRose...

Yeah, nothing really interesting on to me anyways. Perhaps I missed out a lot from not having watched the first seasons.

I will admit to renting Dexter from my local Library and getting hooked on that show. I'm too cheap to get cable, and not having internet at home, I'll have to wait until it's out on DVD to watch season 4.

-MetalRose