Fleshgod drums Apocalypse

ArnaudM

Metalstasis
Apr 7, 2011
Hi everybody,

Anybody ever heard about that band from Italy ? I saw them live some years ago and was quite impressed by their amazing performance. I already noticed they had a very good drummer, but a cautious listening of their last album - a real masterpiece - blew me away.

Let's begin with a video clip :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RyelLaHvQw&feature=fvst[/ame]

There are two other videos showing the paranormal skills of their drummer :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7Kmep5vKs&feature=relmfu[/ame]

I read somewhere that this guy has been playing drums only for 4 years. Anybody here to confirm ?

Last edited by a moderator:
i really like that album, especially the song The Violation. the full-blown chaos with the epic orchestrations always sends a chill down my spine.

i remember hearing this band a long time ago but didn't like them. this album was a positive surprise.

and yeah, that guy is a fucking machine. a whole album of pounding like that - he's definitely not just any drummer.

i'm seeing this band live, it was next month, i think. looking forward to it!

Boring drumming, I kinda liked their first album and the mafia EP was ok, but the whole faux-classical shtick really annoys me.
This dude is a prime example of someone who can play fast, but that's it.
He should've stuck to being a vocalist.

I think he not only knows how to play fast. He's got a solid technique and he remains classy when he plays. Hate seeing half dying drummers behind their weapons.

faux-classical shtick really annoys me.

that's what makes this band different from 1000 others of the same genre though.

also what you said about boring drumming... i would usually agree but this is one of those bands that work with relatively simple rhythmwork; the drummer is there imo to add to the chaos and if you'd like the 'faux-classical shtick' as you put it you'd probably think the same.

I can. I spoke with him for quite a while the last time they played in Austin. For only having played for 4yrs he's very good. Said everyone in the band were friends at the music conservatory, he was was studying violin there IIRC. Very nice guys.

I read somewhere that this guy has been playing drums only for 4 years. Anybody here to confirm ?

Love em.
The band I just joined got to tour with them some months ago and hopefully will again soon.

All of the orchestration on the new album is awesome and the singing is sweeeeet.

Besides that, the drums are pretty crazy but they do get a bit boring. Not much dynamics there.

I believe that James King had been playing for a little over 2 years when he recorded Echoes Of Decimation with Origin:

He can play only fast stuff because he learnt to play drums in 6 months (because they needed a drummer)...actually it's a couple of years he plays drums but don't expect very articulated drums parts.
In my opinion he's a very overrated drummer. On the last album there are inhuman parts (really) and I've seen live videos where those parts were played at half speed.
Anyway they are doin' their job, they tour a lot and I hope they will be re-paid in the future.

Fleshgod is amazing, but I feel they are a bit overrated. Its the first band every annoying person just getting into this style of death metal finds online and tells all their friends about. :lol: Hour of Penance is much better IMO (and shares some members with FG). Pick up the Paradogma album if you have the chance.

The new Fleshgod album is quite good. But WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too compressed. It has some crazy moments on it though. The way the end of The Deceit flows into the beginning of The Violation (they actually used the end of The Deceit for the intro of The Violation on the music video) gets me everytime. Definitely music you have to be in the proper mood for. The super intense, BLAST BLAST BLAST SLAM CONSTANT SPEED BLAST SLAM music is definitely an acquired taste, and I'm not always in the mood for it, but I do enjoy it from time to time. Check out Azarath's "Blasphemer's Maledictions" and Noctem's "Oblivion" as you will most likely enjoy those quite a bit as well.

The first time I listened to "Agony", I found it boring, but the more I get into the stuff, the more I like it. This Classical/Extreme metal under meth concept is something very addictive. When you say "Its the first band every annoying person just getting into this style of death metal finds online and tells all their friends about", I also have to answer that they are also a very passionate band : they tour a lot, release with regularity, and I think the emanate something very energetic and positive. I mean they work hard and show a real will to succeed in the metal world, which is kinda of mad nowadays. That's also why people like them.