Flight question

guardian26

Mike the Cop
Aug 4, 2002
MASSACHUSETTS
Hey guys, having never travelled internationally, I want to be sure that I will have enough time in between connecting flights in case there is a delay. I have about 2 hrs scheduled now or I could book flights with 4 hrs in between them. What do you more experience travellers think?

You'll never know how much the delay will be, it could easily be a delay of several hours, so the 4 hours won't help you in that case as well.

I think it's more important how much time you need to get from the arrival gate to the departure gate. At a large airport like London Heathrow this could cost you 45 minutes if both gates are at totally different terminals.

Also, what is the next departure in case you'll miss the connection. I personally would pick the 4 hour between the flights, just to avoid the possible stress, but hey....that's me.

good luck!

1. Where are you flying from?

2. What airport are you connecting at?

3. What airlines are you flying?

All of these questions have a bearing on connecting times and if it is enough. As Havermout said about London Heathrow that is a real shitty airport to connect at. But if your flying into say Frankfurt it will still be hectic but it can be done. The airport your leaving from has allot to do with it also. If it is Boston Logan, your screwed. That is one of the worst for delays leaving, as is NYC LaGuaidia, and JFK. Airline???Some have a reputation of always being late ie US AIRWAYS(or USELESS AIR) as we call them. My advise (and i kinda know what i speak of as i have flown over 1,000,000 miles overseas) 4 hours is good but 5 or 6 is better, if you can tolerate the layover. Then again if your flying American then you might get by on 2 to 3 hours layover.

yeah, better to have the longer.

On my European trip this past July. I connected in Heathrow airport to and from Europe. One way they had a security issue that shut down the airport and on the way back, it was weather related, I ended up sleeping in the airport both nights.

That is the extreme but I would play it safe.

1. Where are you flying from?

2. What airport are you connecting at?

3. What airlines are you flying?

All of these questions have a bearing on connecting times and if it is enough. As Havermout said about London Heathrow that is a real shitty airport to connect at. But if your flying into say Frankfurt it will still be hectic but it can be done. The airport your leaving from has allot to do with it also. If it is Boston Logan, your screwed. That is one of the worst for delays leaving, as is NYC LaGuaidia, and JFK. Airline???Some have a reputation of always being late ie US AIRWAYS(or USELESS AIR) as we call them. My advise (and i kinda know what i speak of as i have flown over 1,000,000 miles overseas) 4 hours is good but 5 or 6 is better, if you can tolerate the layover. Then again if your flying American then you might get by on 2 to 3 hours layover.

OH man, I can't agree more about Heathrow. I might enjoy visiting London in the future but I will connect almost anywhere else in Europe from this point forward.:erk:o_O