Flo Mounier...

Mike Smith from Suffocation is one of my favorites and better than Flo Mounier in my opinion.

I find Yanic Bercier (Quo Vadis) is amazing

Indeed.
I dont think there is someone better than him, his times and rythms are amazing and impossible to even think about playing them.
Death > every band and Richard Christy > Every drummer.

:kickass: multiplied by infinity

I can't believe nobody has mentioned pete sandoval, that man damn near invented blastbeats in death metal, and is easily one of the greatest drummers ever in DM

Flo, you take away the visuals and he is all over the place aurally ... no chunk to his playing

Negru ... NEGURA BUNGET :kickass:

Dave Lombardo

Richard Christy

Pete Sandoval (who is still super original after all these years)

I like Flo, but there are many drummers that are better in my opinion. Derek Roddy, Brann Dailor, various drummers that Nile has had, various Vader drummers, etc.

Drummers like that make me wonder why people think Flo is so special.
Derek Roddy? How exactly is he good? I can't stand his drumming in Hate Eternal. It's so boring it nearly puts me to sleep.

No, it's not the best. I even liked Symbolic better.

Anyway, this is no Death discussion. Flo is good, but a little too dry and bland for me. Fast, yeah, interesting, not really.

I really think martin lopez (former opeth drummer) is underrated

not the fastest or most uber technical, but he had a very interesting style that added alot to most opeth songs (especially drumming on songs like "closure")

Where on earth do you come up with this crap. Everyone knows Martin Lopez is an excellent drummer. Far from underrated.

really?? he almost never comes up in discussions like these

you're actually right. man, i checked out one of his solos and i must say he puts buddy rich to shame 10 time over! wow. i've been missing out my whole life. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I may be biased because I really like Cryptopsy, but I think Flo is amazing.

His work is magical and intense at the same time. I think in terms of skill, hes up with the greats. But he needs that certain X factor to be an elite. You know, Pete Sandoval has that X factor. Hendrix had it for guitar. Just the something that differentiates you from everybody else while still being amazingly skilled.

Although Flo is excellent, as a matter of personal taste I think Pete Sandoval, Richard Christy, Trym Torson, Hellhammer, and Proscriptor are the best metal drummers.

I think hyperspeed and drum solo showiness are masturbatory and not really a good indicator of skill. I prefer to look at things like the beats and fills used and how they complement a song.

:kickass: agreed with everything. Plus reinert and brann dailor.

I reckon he's a gun. the old albums rule and 'once wa snot' has really grown on me recently. Although I agree with the 'wankery' comment, after meeting him and having quite an extensive chat I found (a smost highly skilled people) he was very modest and eager to learn new shit.
I know his 'style' isn't everyone's cup of tea, you can't deny he's uber-latented and dedicated to innovation. I'd rather hear that than a drum-machine-wannabe album with blasts for 45 minutes. :p