floyd rose problems

thrashjunkie407

New Metal Member
Mar 8, 2009
ok. ive got a esp ltd m-100 and recently saw an easier quicker way to change the strings on it by propping the bridge up with a peice of wood. so i went through with all of this and when i got the bridge set how i wanted and tuned the strings i took what was holding the bridge in place out and my e and B strings snapped. after tinkering with it i have it to where its tuned(not really) but the bridge is pulled lower into the guitar than it should be. i need some help on resetting the bridge position.

Thanks,
Steve

I would recommend taking it to a tech and have him fix it cause it sounds like the bridge needs to be readjusted. You can also have the tech explain to you how to use the wood piece so that your bridge stays in place and you don't snap any strings. Floyd roses are a pain when it comes to changing strings. My personal preference is just going each string at a time, removing the old and replacing it, tuning it back and then going to the next string.
Whenever I want a good intonation and diagnostic done I just take it to a tech and have him change the strings and do all the stuff I don't want to have to deal with.

ok. i can change the strings by doing it one at a time. just this time i used the wood peice so i could take all of them out. i pretty much have it levelled out now but next time im definately taking it to a tech because this floyd rose bs is driving me up the wall haha. thanks

Dude, I don't get this wood/block shit.

What I do is just open the nut, loosen strings, take them all off, clean guitar, put fresh strings on.

It's not that hard, but time consuming instead:)

If the bridge is leaning upwards, screw the springs INTO the body a bit, then retune until all strings are at pitch. If the bridge is going down into the cavity, screw the springs OUT of the body.

Repeat, repeat, done. :)

you shouldnt take all the strings off at once when restringing a floyd rose. you can, but its just easier to tune if you do it one by one
~gR~

I was told to do it one by one, seems way easier. Take it to a tech if you have problems.
But while this thread is open maybe someone could explain clearly how to change tunings? I tried a thread like that once before but didn't really understand what people said. I don't wanna pay $50 to get it set up again (especially because the local GC only does set-ups on Tuesdays).

are you tuning up or down?

its pretty simple really. just tune your guitar the way you want and adjust the springs in the back accordingly. you want to loosen or tighten the springs until the bottom of the bridge is parallel to the body of the guitar.

its a bit frustrating with the standard floyd rose tremolo, since you have to use a screw driver to adjust all the springs. my ibanez has a dial on the back that adjusts it all at once. but its not a floyd rose.
~gR~

Its a piece of cake, I cant understand why people struggle with this so much. I have never changed strings one at a time. I have never used wood block tricks. I just changed mine out from 9's in standard tuning to 10's w/heavy bottoms and tuned to D. The entire thing counting cleaning and waxing the guitar took me one hour.

I dont like D tuning BTW... to muddy and not enough punch.

I dont use my floyd equiped guitar much anymore because my new guitar sounds better and hangs more to my liking than my old guitar. But I do miss my floyd and the fine tuners. I have more problems keeping this conventional guitar in tune. The old Kramer, I can grab it once a month to play, tweak the fine tuners just a bit and its ready for war. This new guitar goes wack over night and will one day have either a Floyd or Kahler locking system.

Do a search on the Floyd here, I have explained the process a few times. It just takes logical evaluation as to whether you need to keep tuning or adjust the spring tension.

If you are just changing strings, not gauges or tuning and you were set up properly before the string change you should not have to adjust anything. Just bring the guitar up to tune in the tedious logical method necessary for a floyd and lock down the strings. Good to go for 3 months.