Floyd Rose Question!??

Aug 9, 2005
Canada!!!
Is It possible to tune a floyd to D without adjusting the bridge or anything and have it stay in tune? My friend bought a Washburn guitar the other day and it has a Floyd Rose, Liscensed Under Floyd Rose Pats. It was In Standard, and Tonight he changed strings and instead of tuning it to E, he tuned it to D, and he said it stayed in perfect tune even when hes goes savage with the wammy bar.

Is this possible Because I thought you had to adjust the bridge and shit to set it up in D...

if you drop the tuning on a floyd you will have to adjust the springs its just the nature of the beast, especially if its a floating setup.

He just called me and he was telling the truth. His guitar is in D. He was using the wammy like mad, and it stayed in tune. He never touched the bridge.

What the fuck haha... He did change from 009 strings to 010... but that wouldnt have anything to do with it would it?

if you change the gauge of the strings, same thing applies, different amount of pull on the strings, the springs will have to be adjusted to compensate for it.

Another Question. When you put the strings on, you have to cut the ball off the end dont you? Because he said he didn't have to, they were stuck in through the back through black rods sticking out or something. Thats how they were when he went to take them out.o_O

you dont have to necessarily cut the ball end off the string, I string my floyd with the ball ends at the tuners, wrap them around the posts about 3-4 times, lock down the bridge locks, tune up, strech the strings, then clamp them down, cut off the left over string at the tuner, strecth again, and retune, viola!

It really depends on what kind of floyd you have, I only use gotoh, schallers and ibanez edge's (OG's in a pinch)

He said his went IN the post i think hahaha... what the fuck like. Is this some super floyd or something... i just dont understand how he could tune to D without doing a fucking thing to the springs or bridge

he is probably full of shit, or damn fucking lucky, as for the strings, he might be using a licensed floyd that has space enough to feed the strings though the locks themselves, not all floyds are created the same.

goth_fiend said:
you dont have to necessarily cut the ball end off the string, I string my floyd with the ball ends at the tuners, wrap them around the posts about 3-4 times, lock down the bridge locks, tune up, strech the strings, then clamp them down, cut off the left over string at the tuner, strecth again, and retune, viola!

It really depends on what kind of floyd you have, I only use gotoh, schallers and ibanez edge's (OG's in a pinch)
holy shit someone else who does it like me... i've actually had arguments with people about this, people trying to tell me its not how it should be done, one guy went so far as to say the bottom part of the string(near the ball thing) is bigger than the top part of the string... so i pulled out my digital micrometer and measured my strings, and let him know he was full of shit... he still tried to argue, the micrometer doesn't lie lol...

and the newer ibanez edge pro trems, the saddles actually accomidate the ball end, but if its a washburn, he's full of shit.

goth_fiend said:
he is probably full of shit, or damn fucking lucky, as for the strings, he might be using a licensed floyd that has space enough to feed the strings though the locks themselves, not all floyds are created the same.

its true tho haha he played it over the phone. he is really lucky.

Its just easier for me to string it that way,I can do a full setup with truss rod adjustment, bridge/nut height adjustment, inontation and restringing in about 25 minutes that way, no slipping in tuning whatsoever.

goth_fiend said:
Its just easier for me to string it that way,I can do a full setup with truss rod adjustment, bridge/nut height adjustment, inontation and restringing in about 25 minutes that way, no slipping in tuning whatsoever.
same for me dude, thats why i started doing it... 25 minutes is about what it takes for me to do all the setup on my guitars as well, but maybe thats cause i know em all inside and out lol

I'll tell ya there's nothing like the relationship between and guitarist and his axe man...I dont let any of my friends mess with DD or evo, oni and X are a different story though, Im not really into them ,there nice guitars, but DD and Evo, they are amazing guitars.

ok when you get a new guitar with a floyd rose trem on it, it will come tuned in E with 9-42s. and if you want to tune down to D (cob tuning) theoretically you should change to 10-52s and you shouldnt have to fiddle round with the springs

I'm drunk.

Anyways, this is how I do it:

For starters, I have all Floyd Rose hardware. Locking hardware with the floating bridge.

I simply tune the guitar to D. Now, before I tune it, the first string Tuning Knob at the bridge is almost all the way in. I have it about two or three turns out. The rest of the strings, I have the bridge Tuning Knob a little less than halfway in.

I simply tune and lock. I tune to D drop C so I'll take the low D bridge knob and bring it out to a C, this way, I can change back and forth from D to D drop C. I never have problems with my guitar coming out of tuning.

I think it may depend on your hardware too. Some hardware is more cheap than others. The hardware on my guitar, I'd imagine, is top notch due to the guitar that it is. Though, it's a bitch to tune when you have to, locking hardware is the way to go.

NP: Emperor - Grey

goth_fiend said:
I'll tell ya there's nothing like the relationship between and guitarist and his axe man...I dont let any of my friends mess with DD or evo, oni and X are a different story though, Im not really into them ,there nice guitars, but DD and Evo, they are amazing guitars.

Amen to that bro.

No-one else knows my axes the way i do.

I would flip out if one of my friends fucked around with DD man, I would have to go yngwie on them and unleash the fockin fury!