Foam rubber under the strings in headstock.

hellraiser85

Sep 1, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
I've seen a few guitars with a piece of foam rubber or something similar under the strings in the headstock. I assume that this is to eliminate some troublesome vibrations of the strings, but is it really necessary and useful?

Well my feeling is the strings are SO tight there and the length so short, it's really not a noticeable difference - but there's no reason not to do it to be on the safe side! ;)

I always mute them, as I usually have noise problems if I don't. It can be mainly heard when doing quick palm muted stuff, you hear a "bell-like echo" after the chord you've played. It can happen on the bridge too if it's a string through tuneomatic bridge. I usually put two hairbands in the headstock to mute the strings, and I can also move them quickly over the nut to mute the open strings. I mainly use it when I do some percussive tapping stuff in which I don't want the open strings to ring at all.

I also always mute the springs on tremolo guitars.

I also always mute the springs on tremolo guitars.

God I hate that noise. I would just stuff the rear cavity with TP then put the cover back on but with my current guitar, the block sticks out (swapped OFR's) so hair bands around the springs + foam sorta makes it better but fucks with the flutter.

God I hate that noise. I would just stuff the rear cavity with TP then put the cover back on but with my current guitar, the block sticks out (swapped OFR's) so hair bands around the springs + foam sorta makes it better but fucks with the flutter.

Just pass a strip of foam through each spring the next time you have the strings off and that will kill most of the res through the springs and not mess with the return or flutter etc...:)

... is it really necessary and useful?

Most definitely. Sometimes I'll change strings and forget to put the foam back on and I'll be like, "What the fuck is that annoying fucking piece of shit annoying noise that is so fucking god damn annoying!!!!!???? .... Oh.... No foam..... D'oh!!!"

I only want my strings to vibrate between the saddles and the fret that I am holding the string(s) against. Anywhere else, they can get fucked and fuck off and shut the fucking hell up dammit. Sorry for the cussing. It just feels necessary.

Most definitely. Sometimes I'll change strings and forget to put the foam back on and I'll be like, "What the fuck is that annoying fucking piece of shit annoying noise that is so fucking god damn annoying!!!!!???? .... Oh.... No foam..... D'oh!!!"

I only want my strings to vibrate between the saddles and the fret that I am holding the string(s) against. Anywhere else, they can get fucked and fuck off and shut the fucking hell up dammit. Sorry for the cussing. It just feels necessary.

I agree with everything you just said.

:lol:

iagree.gif

There is an annoying ring even when strumming or using power chords. Try it...you'll notice the difference right away. I just use the old 90's style walkman headphone foam pieces. They're dense enough to stop the ringing, but not dense enough to distort the string.