Focusrite OctoPre MkII vs. M-Audio Octane 8

JonathanComis

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2012
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with these two 8 channel mic pre's? I need a budget friendly 8 chan. mic pre and was wondering if either of these really out weigh the other. I'm currently only using the pre's in my Mackie Onyix 1620 and think they sound decent - so if you think they sound better than those then that's a plus. Thanks for the help.

Also, if you want to recommend another 8 channel pre within the same price range then feel free to do so.

-Jonathan

Neither of them are going to be far off what you get out of the Onyx to be honest. The difference between preamps in mid range interfaces like this is REALLY small, to the point where it basically doesn't matter which you use.

Neither of them are going to be far off what you get out of the Onyx to be honest. The difference between preamps in mid range interfaces like this is REALLY small, to the point where it basically doesn't matter which you use.

Yeah I hear ya. I figured that, I just thought I'd get some opinions. As long as they're decent and not noisy.

-Jonathan

Yeah either of them should do you fine man. Go for whatever's cheaper!

Yeah true true. I have a friend who is a dealer and can get me some stuff for cost. He doesn't deal for M-Audio but can get the Focusrite for $439 or I can go for the Presonus DigiMax D8 for $337. Got any opinion on the Presonus? Probably sounds similar right?

-Jonathan

Not used the Presonus but I'm sure it'll be similar. Unless there's any extra features on the Presonus that make it worth the extra hundred to you then just grab the focusrite.

I haven't had the need yet for extra inputs but if i had right now i think i would buy another interface that works in stand-alone mode (directs the mic pres input to the digital output). The Mic pres quality shouldn't be that different and in case the main interface craps outs or i need another interface for another location i would have a quick solution... just my 2c....

You should get the mackie onyx 800. Pretty sweet box if you want to run adat in to your interface, I'm thinking of picking one up myself after using one for a few years at school.

If you want to check out something that costs a little more but is of much higher quality check out the audient asp008. We just got one and the difference between that and the pres on our ufx is night and day. The variable hpf on each channel is a huge bonus as well.