folk metal.anyone?

You all forgot about early Vintersorg. The first two albums are excellent. Unfortunately nowadays Vintersorg is just a small pile of shit...
@Hypnos: Of course it depends on your personal view but I can't agree that Bathory is folk metal. Mr. Quorthon used some swedish folk melodies in his songs from time to time but it is viking metal, not pagan. The music is not that folk, it is the viking thing mostly because of the lyrics.

Finntroll is horrible imo. can't get how so many people like this crap so much.

good bands with folk influences:

Negura Bunget
Agalloch
Skyclad
Tenhi
October Falls
Faun
Gåte
Drudkh
and Bathory of course

Negura Bunget, Tenhi and Drudkh are amazing bands. What comes to October Falls, here's a sample (Shores Of Fire) from the latest MLP, that's not acoustic like the first two releases were: http://koti.welho.com/mlehto4/01OF-SOF.mp3

For me, folk-metal is a term, that always keeps me away from the bands labeled as such.

Skyforger killz...Moonsorrow, First two Ensiferum albums, Finntroll...

Norther isn't Folk Metal...more like Melodic Death.

Ha, I was just going to say.

Glad that Skyclad was mentioned, and I'm glad that the original poster mentioned Tyr. Great band. Absolutely great.

Negura Bunget has definite folk elements but I wouldn't consider them true folk. I would put them under the folk black metal category. Their music is pure art, though. Absolute beauty.

Negura Bunget has definite folk elements but I wouldn't consider them true folk. I would put them under the folk black metal category. Their music is pure art, though. Absolute beauty.[/QUOTE]

negura bunget and taake my fav black metal bands ever:headbang:

Mithotyn, Falkenbach, Agalloch, Asmegin, FjellElv, Absu, Graveland, Vinterskugge... I can't think of anymore right now. But there's more.

I see everyone naming alot of different styles, alot of these arent exactly folk metal. Tenhi, for example, is pure folk music. Taake is black metal and absu is black thrash.

as for folk metal there are bands that play two different styles

style #1
Metal with folk melodies. Say Moonsorrow, Mithotyn...alot of these bands can also be classified as pagan or viking metal (depending on the lyrical themes) this can even extend to cheesy power metal bands (rhapsody, etc...)

Style #2
Metal with folk instruments
This includes the use of real folk instruments (not synthesized - generally that would fall into category #1) violins, accordians, flutes, etc... This can be pretty diverse, Imagine all of the styles of metal this can (and does) work with. Finntroll, skyclad and Korpiklaani to Agalloch and Empyrium.

Of course there are bands that cross over into both of these categories, but I've noticed when people talk about folk metal, they get confused and speak of something that is way different from what i've listed above. it's not about the lyrics so much as the music.