For anyone who uses analog

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I was just given two full, completely unused reels of 2" tape, that are basically brand new. A studio that I work at on occasion had sold their 24-track machine, and had these two reels left over, and the owner said that I could have them. I thought that if any of you guys out there who do the analog thing could get a first chance at grabbing these before I ebay them or sell them back to a store. If anyone is interested, you can pm me or just respond to this thread.

I might be...

What brand are they? Ampex? BASF?
Same batch number?

It's sad to see studios phasing out the old tape machines, I love the sound of tape.

One is an Ampex 499, and the other is a Quantegy 499. To be honest, I'm not at all familiar with tape, so I'm not quite sure where to look for the batch number, but because they're by different companies(although they're both in Quantegy 499 boxes), I doubt that they're from the same batch. They're entirely unused, and they both have tones on track 24. If you're interested, I also have several boxes of 3M Leader Tape that are also all brand new.

I love the sound of tape machines too. I call a '87 SONY MCI JH24 2" my own. I maintain it by myself and I have enough spare parts for them. It works perfect. I use it now for recording the drums and bass/guitars, then I took the tracks into the computer. Prefect sound!!

Btw: Carefull with older Tapes. Sometimes they become the sticky shed syndrome and it makes it nearly impossible to run them on the machine. It depends on the storage at high humidity and temperature that brings out the glue betwen carrier tape and oxyde layer. If it's so, you have to 'bake' the tape to get out the moist of the tape and the glue back into the tape. If you run the tape before that procedure you damage the tape and the machine.
For more information go to Google and type: sticky shed syndrome